It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Life without tonsils - downsides?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
    tpita
    (male)

tpita HB User
    Life without tonsils - downsides?

Hello,

I have frequent tonsil stones, bad breadth and nasal permanent blockage. Even though I don't get frequent sore throats, I've got to the point where I'm fed up with it. I'll schedule tonsil removal with my doctor. Permanent removal of some symptoms will make it easier to diagnose my nasal issues too.

I'm clear about the surgery risks and post-op recovery. What are the risks of life without tonsils, though?

I'm 25 and I've read that tonsils don't have much of a function at this age anyway. Will tonsil removal negatively impact me? Will there be annoyances like food getting caught in the depression where tonsils were removed from? Other issues?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
    tpita
    (male)

tpita HB User
    Re: Life without tonsils - downsides?

Is the long term prospect really all rosy?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

My doctor told me that I shouldn't have much trouble with the site after it is completely healed. He said I might have some pain when I yawn and a tightness in the muscles there that might last for two days to two months but he said eventually that should go away. I haven't had any trouble with food getting caught there since my scabs fell.

In my case though, I was in and out of the doctor's office with tonsillitis and I have noticed that my sinuses haven't been blocked up and my sense of smell and hearing is even improved post-surgery.

I've heard of some people having voice changes that wound up being permanent but my voice is slowly but surely returning to normal. I sounded like I was deaf for a while though and at week 3 my voice is still a little hoarse.

Maybe you should ask a doctor or your ENT. They might have more information for you.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
    tpita
    (male)

tpita HB User

Thanks - that's superb feedback.

I've been to two private docs - one of them very much in favor of operations and the other risk-averse who prefers thorough long non-surgical treatment. Both have good arguments, but I wanted to get some independent feedback before I make my decision.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Like you, my tonsils were mainly a nuisance, but in my 30s it seemed like tonsil stone production increased and sometimes they'd bleed. I also noticed a correlation between sinus like headaches and more tonsil stones. When I finally got mine removed, the ENT indicated they were huge -- full of that nasty tonsil crud, that no amount of antibiotics would've gotten rid of. Think he said they were golf ball size.

So I did have a sizeable hole on one side, which was much bigger than the other. The recovering wasn't so bad -- For several months my tastebuds were off and I was more sensitive to carbonated and hot beverages. Similar to burning ones tongue. Almost immediately I noticed I could breathe much better -- must've had more room in my throat and I went from daily doses of sinus pain reliever meds to maybe once or twice a year for a normal headache.

It's been about 8 years. I've had no issues whatsover with food catching in the crevices. In fact, what crevices. Everything just seemed to fill in... And I wondered why the heck I hadn't had it done sooner.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
    tpita
    (male)

tpita HB User

That's excellent feedback, Ratatosk! If anybody has more to share, that'd be great! I'll schedule an appointment with doc and get a fresh referral to an ENT for the removal. The assurance thus far has been great.

Seems like the real downsides indeed are limited mostly to potential surgery complications.

Closed Thread