It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy tomorrow - anyone else this week?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #31
    mrealty
    (male)

mrealty HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy tomorrow - anyone else this week?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoebs View Post
    Hey!

I feel SO much better today. I've even painted my toenails, which is a good sign, lol! My throat is still sore though. Swallowing is easier, but I tried to eat some Minestrone soup last night and it stung like hell. I downed a pint of water and settled for bland ol scrambled egg instead (thank god for scrambled egg huh? lol). My tongue still feels quite beaten up too. Being positive, things are definitely looking up. Time for some on-line shopping, because I deserve it, lol!!

Hope you guys are doing well. I'm sure you are. Thanks so much for listening to my tales of woe. You've both been a huge support.

x hugs x
    (DAY 9)

Phoebs: Awesome! (Hugs back) So glad to hear that! My mom has even been chiming in asking about the two of you lol. When she comes over she says, "hows that girl in London doing? And the other girl?"

Yeah, I have been eating 2 scrambled eggs every morning since day 4. That's about the only solid food I've been getting. I eat pureed vegetable soups now -- mmmmm! So I guess I'm getting most of my nutrients there.

My tongue still hurts as well. As a matter of fact, it probably hurts as much as my throat. The part of my tongue that hurts is the section towards the back of my throat...and the very tip of my tongue hurts too. My uvula is just a little swollen today and is still choking me a bit but I can sleep on my sides so I can ignore it when I'm laying down.

Jerrica: Sounds like you are close to being totally in the clear. That's such good news. I know you're happy to be coming to a finish with this nightmare. About the yawning, I still haven't let myself yawn since before surgery. I'm sure that would hurt BIGTIME. Anyway, I wish you the best in school and am glad you can return to a normal life soon. Have fun!

I am sleeping sooooo good post op. Even as stuffy as my nose is because they don't want me to blow it, my worst night post op is better than my best night pre op. My throat might hurt a little more today than it did yesterday. I'm guessing the scabs are coming off and exposing tender skin (I still haven't looked back there). The pain is still very manageable. It's just that starting yesterday, my throat won't let me slide with 5 hour intervals - it wants that pain med at the 4th hour!

I have an ENT visit scheduled for this Friday. I'm just coasting and enjoying the special treatment :-)

Oh, and here is the bill I received. I thought you gals may be interested to see what someone else was charged:

Type of Surgery : Surgeon's Fees
    Bilateral Turbinate Reduction : $1251.52
    Septoplasty : $815.81
    Tonsillectomy : $499.93

Those were just the surgeon's fees. I'll get a "clinic fee" soon (I didn't use the hospital) and also the bill from the anesthesiologist. So after insurance I have only had to pay less than $900 so far.

With kind regards,
    Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I don't know my fees before insurance but after insurance I had to pay $363 for everything including my doctor visit post op. I'm going to have an emergency room bill for that trip from the bleed but I don't know how much that's going to be.

Mark I had put the medicine I was given. I don't know if you saw. It was Decadron (Dexamethason) It's an anti-inflammatory. I had a 2 shots a couple days apart and I noticed a difference just a few hours after the shot and even more of a difference after the second shot. I wasn't put on any oral steroids by my ENT. The ER doctor wanted to put me on some but I was already recovered enough not to need it.

I'm glad you are doing as well as can be expected. My tongue was pretty bruised and cut up after surgery as well so that's normal. Once that goes away things should be a little easier. During the first week and a half I couldn't go without pain meds every 4 hours.

Lol! My boyfriend does the same when we talk. He asks how everyone on that message board is doing.

I'm looking into taking a mixed martial arts class at my university's recreation center. I find I am more apt to exercise if I have a scheduled class. I want to continue with my yoga but I can practice at home with the videos I have. Last semester I didn't have an exercise class and I found myself coming up with excuses not to exercise until I realized I was 15 lbs over where I wanted to be. I lost 15 lbs with the surgery but I know I'll probably gain some of that back. I don't intend to let myself gain it all back.

I just have to wait until Saturday to start exercising according to Doctor's orders. Then I'll ease myself back into using the treadmill on the weekends and take that exercise class once a week and practice my belly dancing and yoga a couple times a week. That should get the weight down and keep it down with my schedule and I've been buying healthy stuff like fruits and veggies and lower calorie foods and all that good stuff. I have also been watching my portions.

I still can't eat much but it doesn't take much to make me feel full. I had some trouble handling regular food at first but now its more the tenderness in my throat instead of stomach upset that keeps me from eating more. I guess that's a good thing right now though because it will get me in the habit of eating smaller portions.

I couldn't eat scrambled eggs. They stayed stuck in the tonsil beds and it hurt to get them out. I was literally on jello and broth for almost all of my recovery time. The second half of week 2 I was able to add stuff like milk shakes and Ensure and Slim Fast and other liquidy or semi-liquid stuff. I'm glad y'all can eat a bit more.

I didn't let myself yawn after surgery either. Now though its hard to stop it. It hurts but nowhere near as bad as my throat was hurting before.

My first day out my equilibrium was a bit off because of the moderate pain in my ear but it wasn't enough to send me back to the pain meds and the only thing I've taken for pain is tylenol 8 hour a couple times but it was more for my back than for my throat.

I'm showing my ignorance here but what do they do when they do a septoplasty?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #33
    mrealty
    (male)

mrealty HB User

Hi Jerrica: I saw it, thanks for getting back with me. I hope someone else can chime in with what they were given to relieve the swollen uvula. That thing is a PAIN.

Great to hear you are staying fit. Sounds like you are doing a lot to keep up your metabolism. Great job. I hate that I can't go to the gym but...at least I'm not gaining weight...I'm just staying the same.

To answer about the septoplasty - most folks don't have a perfect septum. Some are more deviated than others. For years I thought that I had "bad allergies." Looking back, it makes me so mad that it took me so long to figure it all out. My primary physician (he's a great guy) is Medical (everything I know about the hospital I learned from that show "Scrubs" LOL) and then you have the opposing team - surgical. My primary physician doesn't subscribe to doing surgery to have things fixed (because he's "medical") - he'll prescribe medication, exercise, etc.

So years ago when I first started complaining about trouble breathing through my nose, he sent me to an allergist. Of course the allergist didn't say, "hey you don't need my services, you just have a badly deviated septum and so you'd be better served having a septoplasty." So of course he gladly accepted my money over the course of 4 years. The allergy treatments didn't help much. The reason being that they were only a small percentage of the blockage. According to my estimates, my deviated septum accounts for about 90% of my air flow blockage. The allergies would then cause 10% - giving a total block, and so that was why I was so focused on the "allergies" as the reason for not being able to breathe.

It wasn't until recently that I was sent to an ENT (to have my ears worked on because some ear pain I had) where he commented on my septum. I had no clue what a septum was or how it all worked. And even after he told me, I was still suspicious of him, thinking he was just trying to play me so he could get some coin to buy a new car :-) After I did some research on the matter, turns out the ENT was right. So I decided to do the surgery. But since I was going under general anesthesia, I asked him was there anything he could do about the snoring I do (chics don't think that's sexy) and it was also waking *me* up at night...so I haven't had a good night's sleep in years. So I manned up and told him to do everything he needed to do to make a dramatic difference in my breathing - so he added in the turbinate reduction.

I read up on all of them (when I found these boards) and saw that this combination of surgeries was very common. So here I am today - and even though it's early to say, just for the simple fact that I can now breathe freely through both my nostrils I can say - IT WAS SO WORTH IT.

The septum is just bone and cartilage in the nose and it should be straight (my was shaped like an 'S' on the scan). During surgery, he cut my septum, making it straight, then put in the splints. I'll cut and paste the definition below. Hope all that helped.

________________________________________ _____________________
    The nasal septum is the bone and cartilage in the nose that separates the nasal cavity into the two nostrils. The cartilage is called the quadrangular cartilage and the bones comprising the septum include the maxillary crest, vomer and the perpendicular plate of the ethmoid. Normally, the septum lies centrally, and thus the nasal passages are symmetrical.[2] A deviated septum is an abnormal condition in which the top of the cartilaginous ridge leans to the left or the right, causing obstruction of the affected nasal passage. The condition can result in poor drainage of the sinuses. Patients can also complain of difficulty breathing easily, or of sleeping disorders such as snoring or sleep apnea.[2]

It is common for nasal septa to depart from the exact centerline; the septum is only considered deviated if the shift is substantial or is adversely affecting the patient.[1] Many people with a deviation are unaware they have it until some pain is produced. But by itself a deviated septum can go undetected for years and thus be without any need for correction.[1]
    ________________________________________ _____________________

Last edited by mrealty; 01-17-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #34
    Phoebs
    (female)

Phoebs HB User

Day 9

Sleep was difficult last night I kept waking up with a dry stinging throat and ear pain. I guess the scabs are coming off, exposing raw tissue underneath. Drinking loads of water helped. Im dreaming of waking up and being able to swallow without tensing my whole body!

Im also missing the gym. I swim and do Pilates. How long do you think I should leave it before I start again? (I weighed myself this morning I have lost about 6lbs. At least my skinny jeans will fit now, lol!)

Mark, Im really pleased for you that the op has and will continue to make such a positive impact on your life. It makes me mad that there are so many con men out there ready to steal your money claiming youve got this and that. Please send your mum my best regards ) lol

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
    mrealty
    (male)

mrealty HB User

Phoebs! You're still kicking! lol :-) You sound like you are doing good today.

I've experienced the same thing as you for the past several days (stinging dry throat in the middle of the night) but it's only because those are the longest periods I go without hydrating. When I'm awake I am paranoid about staying hydrated so I am *constantly* drinking. Are you in less pain today? Are you a little more comfortable than yesterday? I still feel like a million bucks. I sure will be glad when I can stop taking this roxicet. It's not the "pleasure bus" that the Oxycontin was when I had my back surgery LOL. It's killing the pain but it makes me sooo drowsy. I had a couple of friends come over last night and I was doing my best to keep them entertained but I almost fell asleep at one point.

Thanks for the concern about the allergist - that's sweet. I don't look at it as he was ripping me off or anything like that...I just hate that I learned how the game is played so late in life. Your primary physician runs from suggesting surgeries unless your condition is life threatening. I think his game plan was to send me to every possible alternative solution that didn't involve surgery. I do have allergies, but the important point is that they account for a very *small* percentage of my air flow blockage. Now I'm on the lookout for these same symptoms with my friends. I wish I had a friend advise me to get this done when I was in my early twenties. I convinced a friend of mine to get lumbar surgery about a year ago and he thanks me almost every time we chat. I'm able to diagnose a deviated septum from a mile away now. So friends - WATCH OUT - Mark M.D. is on the prowl! lol

Skinny jeans? LOL that was funny. Yeah, I miss the gym. I feel so much better when I get my cardio. I'll ask the ENT tomorrow when he thinks I'll be able to go back...I'm sure your return date will be about the same as mine....but then again...those doctors over there seem to do things a little differently.

I'll tell mom you said hello - she'll get a kick out of that. She's coming over today to make my bed! :-)

Stay hydrated and get some rest!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #36
    MichelleRL
    (female)

MichelleRL HB User

Hi all, nice meeting you all online here. I lurked online before my operation (and got great advice, thanks prior posters for sharing your advice!) I think I was pretty well prepared for the operation because of the great suggestions (hydrate! Ice packs! Ice Chips!) Thank goodness for my mom too, she's been a huge help babying her 43-year-old daughter (and grandkids and son-in-law).

Today's my first time on line since Tuesday's tonsillectomy, fun to see our post-op-club is so well populated this week...

I came online today looking for advice about dizziness/nausea. (Today is day 4 for me.) Those (plus skyrocketing pain) are today's symptoms. I reduced my pain meds (Lortab) to 2.5 tsp from 3 tsp every 4 hours, hoping that would help. (Not much yet.) Anyone else have suggestions about conquering dizziness?

Some other questions/comments after reading the posts:
    -how could anyone possibly eat toast 1 hour post-op?!? Top Ramen is as solid as I can eat so far. Other food ideas, baby food (w/lots of salt & pepper) didn't cut it for me.
    -Glad I'm not the only one with a swollen uvula. Man that sucks! I did take a look at my throat, it is a) hideous, b) nightmare-provoking in my 7&6 year old boys, c) painful and d) the hugest uvula imaginable. Imagine a bad Japanese horror film - Uvula vs. Team Godzilla/Mothra; Uvula would win because of sheer size alone. I am snoring at night (still) because of the uvula.
    -I faithfully used ice packs for the first 48 hours on my neck, sounds like it might be worth trying still at hour 96?

Me:
    43 Year old, mom to 2 boys & frustrated dog who misses her hikes
    Strep 4x last year, snorer (no apnea though) always had tonsil pain at first sign of cold etc. so when my Dr. said I was a candidate for a tonsillectomy, I didn't hesitate. Want them out, know it will be good
    I miss my 2x weekly hikes and yoga classes! Looking forward to getting back to my exercise schedule.
    AND-- how can I eat nearly nothing and not lose weight? Hopefully it's all the sodium in the vitamin water/broth/soup... I was hoping for a little positive weight loss.

My mom just read this over and is laughing.
    If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Keep on sucking on those ice chips -- (time for more for me now!)

Michelle

Old 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #37
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I used ice for the first week and a half. The nurse that was helping me told me that most people quit using ice when they need it the most. Keep using ice until all the sweling is down completely. It will definitely help with your swollen uvula. I was also given a shot of decadron (dexamethason) and after 2 shots my uvula was no longer swollen.

The only thing I can tell you for the dizziness and nausea is ask your doctor. I was put on promethizane (sp?) but by the time they gave it to me I didn't really need it.

I couldn't handle toast until week 3 after surgery.
    I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #38
    mrealty
    (male)

mrealty HB User

Day 12.

I can finally stop taking pain meds during the day and only take them before bed. I went to the ENT surgeon yesterday and he said I'm progressing perfectly from the tonsillectomy. 85% of the scabs in my throat are gone. He said to wait on doing weight training for another 10 days but if I wanted to do some light cardio, to go ahead and do it.

He cleaned out my nose with the nasal irrigation system (because of the septoplasty and turbinate reduction). That machine is pretty neat - wish I had one in my bathroom LOL. It's so gross though..he sprays some fluid in both nostrils, waits about a minute, then flushes each nostril out with the irrigation machine, then while he's flushing with one hand he has some tweezers in the other hand, and he pulls out everything that was solidified in the nostril all in one disgusting piece. Yuck! He has finally allowed me to blow my nose, but gently. I'm still coughing up big blood clots.

Last night - wow. I slept, had a dream, and woke up refreshed - it's the small things in life that I really appreciate. This crap was so worth it. I can breathe like you normal people now! :-) It feels a little weird though...seems like I have a permanent menthol candy in my mouth because I'm getting so much free flowing air through my nose (I'm not used to that but it's awesome).

I also switched to some regular food. Yesterday I had a roast beef sandwich for lunch, and some tuna fish and noodles for dinner. Gatorade should notice a drop in their stock beginning today :-) I probably won't drink it for a while.

Today I may take off this Hugh Hefner robe my mom gave me, and brave the cold weather for a hair cut. I feel and look like a winning contestant off of Survivor.

Phoebs, how are you doing today?

With kind regards,
    Mark

Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #39
    Len1977
    (female)

Len1977 HB User

Hi Guys - Day 9 for the Belfast girl and I'm doing pretty good. Either we have a higher pain threshold here or you are all wimps. In Ireland all hospitals recommend toast, coke, chewing gum and crisps (chips) and post op we are given co-codamol and voltarol as pain relief.

Guys you have to eat and drink to get through this. You all think I am mad. My brother in law went through the same op a year ag, he didn't eat and suffered the consequences. As soon as he ate he was on the road to recovery. I still state though that recovery from this op was more painful than my last 3 c/sections.

I think this forum is hilarious. It started by me being online trying to find out more info. Likewise I am telling my family about your stories and my mother in law (doctor) says you MUST eat. I envy you all in one area - you guys have lost pounds were as I have indulged in a diet of trash. The gym is now in sight and I look forward to getting back to normality.

My throat still hurts but I guess us Irish are warriors! (Sure to get a reaction)

Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #40
    Phoebs
    (female)

Phoebs HB User

Hey guys!

It sounds as if we are all on the up, yay! I ate my first major meal in nearly two weeks today in true East End style - Pie, Mash & Liquor, which was divine ) I really dont want to put the 5lbs back on though putting my jeans on without using hernia-inducing manoeuvres this morning was heavenly! It felt so good to be out in the real world - I was even smiling at strangers in the street - what with my hollow post-op eyes, they probably thought i'd just escaped!

Len, I think our American friends are babied far too much I was told to eat toast and crisps too! haha

Mark, thanks for the gory details re the nasal irrigation. Suddenly I dont feel too good, lol! HH robe really made me laugh ) I still sound really weird when I talk (that damn uvula!) I went to the Post Office yesterday and the man at the counter was pronouncing his words very carefully I think he thought I was deaf!

Jerrica, see you on **.

Michelle, nice to hear from you. Fortunately, I didnt experience any dizziness, but the nausea was awful for me for the first three days. I put it down to all the anaesthetic and painkillers on a fairly empty stomach. It will get better, I promise. Just try to eat and drink as much as you can (I know its hard), but you will feel so much better. Days 5 and 6 were the most painful for me during which I resembled the girl from The Exorcist - I just took as much pain meds as I could and slept. I wish you a speedy recovery x

Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #41
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I am fully released today! I did a belly dance workout on Fit TV and it feels SOOOO good to get back to physical activity! I love to dance and I can finally do it again. I just did the tail end of one workout but there's two workouts back to back in a few minutes so I am going to do those. I may even do a light workout on the treadmill if I still feel up to it. It feels so good to be back out in the sun again.

My first week of classes went well. I was a bit tired but I was able to do everything I needed to, just not as fast as I am used to doing them. My strength increases daily.

10 days AFTER your initial 2 weeks Mark? I was able to return to full activity today, not even a full week after the initial two weeks of basically house arrest.

I don't know about the whole wimp thing. I know that anything more solid than jello not only hurt like crazy but it stayed stuck in my tonsil beds and also wouldn't go down. My scabs fell and I recovered in two weeks without eating any toast so I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference. I honestly think I would have started bleeding more if I had eaten anything hard because I kept breaking open scabs eating soft stuff.

I was told that it was more important to drink than to eat, especially for the first few days.

At any rate I am glad to see you are all on the road to recovery. My throat is still a little tender but I am definitely able to eat more things. I even had some chicken parmeseana. I am not going to eat any chips for a while and my voice is still a little hoarse but I don't sound like I am deaf anymore.

I honestly thought I would gain weight back when I started eating again but so far I haven't. I actually lost a pound. I now weigh 134. My target weight was 135. I know I might gain the weight back but I am starting to work out and I have been making sure not to overeat. I eat slowly to make sure I know when I am full and even though I really like a dish I don't let myself eat any more. It helps that my throat is still a bit sore so I can't eat as much as I would want anyway.

I have no more nausea and my throat looks clean. My scabs are 99% gone! It still hurts a tiny bit to yawn but that pain decreases every day. My doctor told me that that will be one of the last things to go as the trauma to the muscles there heals.

Well Shimmy is on. Its time to dance! I hope you all are doing well and I will talk to you later.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
    caramargaret
    (female)

caramargaret HB User

Hi, I'm 19 and i had my tonsils out on the 7th... 10 days in and i am still miserable.
    I feel like i will never get better. I have not eaten since the 6th.. I drink odwalla smoothies, gatorade, and water, but at this point nothing i drink can be cold for some reason.
    This is the worst pain I have ever been in, and I still don't see light at the end of the tunnel.
    I am on roxicet, and it is becoming less and less effective every day.
    Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
    curlylo26
    (female)

curlylo26 HB User

hi there! i'm getting mine out on tuesday! i'm 25 and have been reading many message boards and they have been scaring the heck out of me! if you need anyone to chat with i'm here. does anyone know if you absolutely need the steroids they give you?! i really dont want to take them.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #44
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

You are going to need the steroids because your uvula will be so swollen it will choke you. I wasn't given oral steroids though. I given a shot of the generic for decadron - dexamethasone. The shot worked a lot quicker and helped immensly.

Caramargaret I wasn't really eating anything until after day 9 and even then it hurt. I am just now starting to eat without much pain and its been almost 3 weeks after surgery. It feelt like I had a bad sore throat until yesterday. I still haven't eaten anything hard like chips and won't until I am certain my throat is no longer tender.

I had the same sensation. After a week and a half of not being able to drink anything warm, I could no longer drink anything cold. I think its because the healing tissue is no longer swollen and the tissue is tender so warmth is more soothing.

Did you try eating jello? I was able to eat that in addition to my broths and Ensure and smoothies (I had to let the smoothie come to room temperature before I could really drink it)

You might have to switch to a different pain medication if it is becoming less effective. At day 10 you really should try to start eating. Maybe try some soft bread. I was able to eat that. It will make your scabs come off quicker. The reason why you are probably in so much pain is becase your scabs are falling. The more you eat at this point the faster you will recover. I know its easy to say that but not so easy to do. I had trouble myself and the pain in my ears was pretty bad at times but you may just have to do it in spite of the pain.

I would call your doctor and see what he/she has to say about it. My doctor was really great about making sure I was as comfortable as possible. The only complaint I have is that the loretab I was on was not really strong enough to get rid of all the pain most of the time but the pain was a lot worse when I wasn't on it.

I hope you are all doing good!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #45
    MichelleRL
    (female)

MichelleRL HB User

Hello bellydancers and other happy tonsil-less friends. Yes this is a tough recovery, but everyone says it's so worth it once you're on the other side! Good Luck Curlylo, sorry to scare you but at least you know what you have ahead.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Reducing my pain med helped with the dizziness, I'm using 2 Tsp of Lortab instead of 3. Still hurts like eating razor blades but I'm not queasy. And YES keep on using ice packs even after those first 48 hours, they help a lot! And the ice chips. I heart ice chips. I like the Ricola Lemon Throat Mints too.

Food suggestions: I am drinking smoothies and soups today, (it's my day 6 today), top ramen was good, tried some Japanese Udon noodles but they were too thick. (Will try Udon again in a few days.) I look forward to Cream of Wheat for breakfasts.

My broccoli soup just beeped in the microwave, off for a filling dinner
    Michelle

Closed Thread