It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Does vibration itself damage the ear drum / ear?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
    principesa
    (female)

principesa HB User
    Does vibration itself damage the ear drum / ear?

dear healthboards community, i was just wondering if anyone might know... does vibration itself (not necessarily a "loud" sound-wise, decibel-wise vibration, but the waves of vibration) damage the ear drum or maybe inner ear? ...i suffer chronic ear and throat infections and am miserable, so i bought a device that u hold to the back of your ear / neck and it sends "sub sonic" vibrations thru the skin that are supposed to loosen clogs in your eustachain tube that are trapping fluid in your middle ear ...but this time, i was so desperate to help it along that, i was moving the device around ...to the front of my ear (in front of the little tab that covers the opening to your ear) and i even pressed it against the opening of my ear ...it wasn't so loud (i think) but the vibration was quite deep (itchy too) and, due to my ear wax it actually made a little bit of a seal and i felt a little suction which i also hope did not damage my ear ...the infection (fullness, etc.) i think actually does feel better but i am afraid the vibration did or could damage my ear so if it could i did a bad thing and don't want to do it again... i would be so grateful if anyone could inform me about this... thank you so much...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
    Re: Does vibration itself damage the ear drum / ear?

I have done this before to and I'd be careful because even the vibration can disrupt your ear drum. I was so miserable I even used the water pic thing in my ear and think it caused damaged. Know it cause bad infection! I have lost so much of my hearing that I need to use hearing aids. There are so many things that can effect our hearing that we aren't aware of. Better see ENT spec.

Char

Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
    principesa
    (female)

principesa HB User
    Re: Does vibration itself damage the ear drum / ear?

thank you so much, char, for taking the time to reply... i'm really concerned about the vibration thing, won't do it again unless i know better and, hope i didn't do any damage... the water pik thing ...did that hurt u when u did it? i know how it can be to have your ear itching or throbbing so bad you'll do just about anything to get relief and, i bet irrigating the ear would feel good butttt i wonder if the force of the pik hurt u? i hope it didn't... i feel so much empathy for your ear troubles - i have so many different kinds of problems with my ears ...i have a little bit of hearing loss butttt in my case the sudden damage caused my ear to, bizarrely, become hyper-sensitive and now most sounds cause me pain... (i have real [not all in my head...] test-proven sensitivity to sounds called hyperacusis ...and also now, selective sound sensitivity syndrome where certain sounds are unbearable to me because i've associated them with being traumatic) ...i also have had since i was a baby, chronic severe ear infections which probably are what caused the hearing loss that has resulted in the hyperacusis... and lately the otitis media (middle ear fluid) infections are just so bad, dizziness and feeling like my eardrum is going to burst all the time - and unfortunately, i'm forced to wear ear plugs to cope with the noise at home and, now i've developed, from the trapped moisture, swimmer's ear that i've tried everything for and just cannot stop the cycle of wetness, drying it out, itching, irritation over and over... i'm sorry i've gone on so badly, i just don't know how to go on this way... *sad* ~princi

Closed Thread