It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Throat Clearing - Asthma - Allergies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
    patsyklein
    (female)

patsyklein HB User
    Throat Clearing - Asthma - Allergies

I've been dealing with a throat clearing issue for 9-10 years. I first saw an ENT and he put me on Rhinocort which helped with sinus related migraine headaches and allergies but never did help the throat clearing.

My primary care physician detected astha and acid reflux over the years and I am on medication for that. Recently switched from the highest dose Advair to highest dose Symbicort because of hoarseness with the Advair.

I've also been to an allergist who says my lung capacity is normal (I'm 58) and my allergies are very well controlled. I installed an air purifier on the furnace - an expensive one - about a year ago. He has been adjusting my meds but my throat clearing is as bad as ever.

I did have a sinus infection this winter but that has long since cleared up. The doctors all think it is post nasal drip but if this is it, how much sinus medication do I need to take to stop it and the throat clearing??

I am taking an allegra in the morning and chrlortimitron generic at night. I also use Flonase during the day.

I even went to a pulmonologist who said everything looked fine.

I suspect it is the asthma medication even tho the throat clearing goes back more than 10 years - well beyond the asthma dx. But it feels like something needs to be cleared from my throat - all the time. Any input??

Thanks
    Patsy Klein

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Throat Clearing - Asthma - Allergies

By far the most common cause of chronic throat clearing is acid reflux, not asthma or allergies.

It's likely that there are some areas in your esophagus that have been irritated by stomach acid. Your body produces extra mucus to try and protect those irritated areas, and the throat clearing is your body attempting to remove the extra mucus.

You don't mention much about your treatment for acid reflux but I suspect that if you get the acid reflux under control the throat clearing will improve.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
    patsyklein
    (female)

patsyklein HB User

Thanks for your input...

The acid reflux was rechecked 1.5 years ago with an internal monitor worn for 24 hours. Acid totally under control at that time. Acid was never a big problem and actually was dxd as a possible reason for throat clearing.
    I take 40mg generic equiv of Protonix.

2 doctors believe it to be post nasal drip but wouldn't all the allergy meds (flonase, allegra & chlortimitrine) stop the PND?

Patsy

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    2 doctors believe it to be post nasal drip but wouldn't all the allergy meds (flonase, allegra & chlortimitrine) stop the PND?
    Post nasal drip is almost always a symptom of something else, be it allergies, acid reflux, or some kind of acute infection, so knowing that it is PND without knowing the cause of the PND doesn't help you much.

The meds you're taking should address any allergy problems which leaves you with some kind of chronic sinus problem (which it doesn't sound like you have) or acid reflux. The only thing I can suggest is following up with your doctor about the possibility that it is due to acid reflux.

Closed Thread