It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• So Scared! having Functional Endoscopic Surgery Panicking about NOT BREATHING !

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
    Exclamation So Scared! having Functional Endoscopic Surgery Panicking about NOT BREATHING !

Hi, guys I am having Functional Endoscopic Surgery on april 29th. because of severe blockage on my sinuses. and I am a nervous wreck, I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks.

and I read that after the surgery is completed you are not able to breathe at all for a whole week. I am so nervous since i cannot imagine not being able to breathe that will cause severe panic issues, I was going to ask the doctor to keep me doped up on anxiety meds for the week that i cannot breathe.

Please let me know how your experience was with this surgery I am wanting to know if itstrue that one is not able to breathe after surgery thanks so much for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
    angelee12
    (female)

angelee12 HB User
    Re: So Scared! having Functional Endoscopic Surgery Panicking about NOT BREATHING !

I am having mine on 3/30. I had septoplasty in Nov last year. It was not like you can't breathe, it was like having a bad cold and congested in the nose. I noticed it was hard to eat because you are breathing more through your mouth. Nothing to panic about. I too am nervous about FES surgery. I'm not sure what to expect. I am expecing kind of the same thing last time, hopefully I want look as rough as before. I was swollen bad!!!
    Good Luck!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User
    Re: So Scared! having Functional Endoscopic Surgery Panicking about NOT BREATHING !

I just had septoplasty and sinus surgery 3 days ago. It is like having a very bad cold, but you can't blow your nose, which is annoying. I'm mostly breathing thru my mouth, which makes my throat dry, but it's not bad. The worst part for me is not being able to blow my nose and my throat being sore from the breathing tube they use during surgery. I'm also very tired and dizzy and have been sleeping a lot.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
    hjjasnell
    (female)

hjjasnell HB User

Don't panic! It's really not as bad as you think and make it out to be in your head. I have problems with anxiety and panic attacks myself and thought for sure I'd have some not being able to breathe after my FESS surgery. Like everyone else said, it's like having a bad cold, you just have to breathe through your mouth and NOT blow your nose. I took a couple ativan right after surgery so that I was okay but I really don't think I needed them anyways. I had worked myself thinking it would be so utterly horrible but it wasn't and I was packed with gauze! Good luck and try not to overthink it!!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
    Kelly0514
    (female)

Kelly0514 HB User

Did you have packing after your surgery?? Did you get it taken out yet? Does it hurt really bad? I'm having my surgery in May and very nervous about it.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

No, I didn't have packing. My doctor said most doctors don't use packing anymore. It's considered old school. Right now it's just annoying not to be able to blow my nose because it's second nature when it's stuffed up to grab the kleenex. From what I've heard, the first appointment where they clean out your nose is very painful. I'm not looking forward to that, but am looking forward to breathing better.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
    hjjasnell
    (female)

hjjasnell HB User

I had packing and the packing itself was more uncomfortable than painful. The first debridement is painful, I'll give you that. But the good thing is it doesn't last long and it feels so much better afterwards. You will bleed a little afterwards, as they are removing scabs after all, just to let you know to expect it (if it doesn't bleed great but don't be concerned if it does). The packing really hurt taking out but like someone else mentioned, a lot of doctors don't pack anymore. It really is considered old school, I'm surprised my young doctor did it.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The only reason you would have any difficulty breathing after the surgery would be packing (gauze or other material placed in the nasal cavities after surgery to minimize breathing). Fewer and fewer doctors use packing so you should ask your doctor if he/she does or doesn't use it.

Most patients, particularly those who are not having a septoplasty, actually breathe better immediately after the surgery because the tissue that has been blocking their sinuses has been removed, leading to immediate relief.

The actually swelling from sinus surgery is fairly minimal (septoplasty does cause more noticeable swelling due to the removal of bone and cartilage).

Ask your doctor about the use of packing. If he/she doesn't use packing you should be fine.

Closed Thread