It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Coblation Tonisllectomy Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User
    Coblation Tonisllectomy Recovery

Hi there,

My name is Jen and I am 28 and scheduled to have a coblation tonsillectomy on 5/28. I have stocked up on mac and cheese, instant potatoes, jello and plan on getting popcicles and ice cream later as well as childrens ibuprofen and chloraseptic. Thats the list i gathered from reading all the other posts.

I have had huge tonsils since getting Mono at age 14 and now they are cryptic and I have been dealing with them swelling and the white things frequently. Enough is enough.

The say knowledge is power however after reading all the posts this sounds like it sucks! It sounds like I will be on liquid antibiotics, phenegran for nausea and liquid either Vicodin or Percocet. I am an RN so I know to drink a lot of water, rest and make sure to stay on top of the pain but I am freaked.

I havent heard much about the coblation method in the posts, they say it is supposed to help with pain the first three days post op but 4-10 are the same. I opened this post to hear your stories and additional tips. I look forward to talking to all of you throughout this process

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User
    Re: Coblation Tonisllectomy Recovery

Hi Mino I had the Coblation method on March 27 two weeks ago today. I am pretty much all healed now. I went back to work on Thursday on day 13 of my recovery. The first 5 days for me werent that bad at all. Just felt like a really bad sore throat when swallowing. Pain was around 4-5 if that. I did stay on top of the pain meds faithfully. I was constantly drinking water. I think I went thru 2 cases of water in the last 2 weeks. I also drank room temp ginger ale. Around day 6-8 were the worst for me. When the scabs fall off it feels like youre swallowing razor blades. Your throat becomes raw from the scabs falling off. Those days my doctor said I could up my dosage or shorten the time between taking the pain med. I shorten the time to every 3 hours. I made the mistake of not sleeping very much. I had my alarm set every hour just so I could drink something. Your body needs to rest to heal so set your alarm every 3 hours. Around day 9 started to feel better. D ays 10-12 were better yet. I pretty much ate jello, broth, mashed potatoes, crushed popsicles, and a little mac and cheese. I would stay away from the ice cream since it will build a mucus on your scabs and you dont want that. Try sherbet. That was pretty good. I never got the ear pain everyone else did.

Everyone heals differently. I read all the posts on here before I had my surgery. I actually cancelled it twice because of the horror stories I read. I wish I had it done the first time scheduled. I actually feel better than I have in a long time. Just having those disgusting, infected tonsils out is a great feeling.

My throat now just feels like a mild sore throat when I swallow. I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Nothing too sharp like chips. But everything is a go.

So all in all it really wasnt as bad as some of the posts. Except for those few days which actually brought me to tears. But it will pass and you will better before you know it. Good luck

Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

Thanks tdooders1,

That is great advice on the ice cream, I will definitely buy some sherbert. I decided to go to my parents lakehouse with them on day 5-11, so that I can have some distraction since I hear those are the worst days. No ear pain at all? That is great! Glad to hear you are back to work too. I have read through all of the posts and I originally had scheduled the surgery for August but bumped it up to get it over with after reading everything, its nice to hear a possitive story. I will keep you updated on my journey! Also how much weight did you lose, just curious I dont need to lose or gain but a guilt free cheat meal afterwards would be nice LOL.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Mino I actually lost around 12 lbs. O also I would recommed an ice collar. I bought two so I would always have one ready. I wore it constantly from the day I got home from surgery. It helped me out a lot. I think what made my recovery better was drinking so much water. I mean I was constantly sipping water. I dont think I let an hour go by without drinking. Hyrdation is key.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

Oh good one thanks I need to pick that up, can you get them at any pharmacy? I think the hardest part for me is going to be not being able to workout, two weeks without endorphines is going to be tough. Are you cleared for exercise yet? My MD said that the second week the risk for bleeding increases, so I am thinking prob two and a half weeks?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Walmart sells the ice collars in the area where the bandaids are. I go to the ENT this wed. It will be 2 1/2 weeks since surgery so Im hoping he will clear me for exercise. I miss it. I feel just about normal. My throat has just a very very mild sore throat when swallowing. Not even painful. I can eat whatever I want. I feel great.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

Hey tdooders. I have been following your posts since before your surgery. I am having the same procedure done this Friday. Getting a little nervos as the days go by. Can you describe the ice collar. I have the bean filled thing that they have at walmart that you can heat up or put in freezer but when testing it it didnt last long cold. Mabye yours is different.

And good luck to you Mino =)

Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Frogans The collar I bought is blue and has a gel pack. It is a velcro collar. Ill try and find the name of it. Three different sizes came in the pack.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

So yesterday I stocked up:

Ice collar (the beanie thing Frogans2005 has
    Ducolax (to help with constipation from pain pills)
    Cholraseptic spray and cough drops
    Warm mist humidifier
    Liquid Benadryl (just in case to help with sleep)
    Shower steamers (I heard they feel good on your throat)

I still have six weeks but at least i am ready hehe. Frogans2005, good luck-you can do it! Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
    sameoldsue
    (female)

sameoldsue HB User

have a ruptured ear drum the ear drops are draining in my throat
    have post nasel drip feel like cant breath and doc mentioned tonsils does that hurt to have them removed? any advice on how i can breath easier without the choking feeling would be appreciated

Last edited by sameoldsue; 04-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mino09 View Post
    So yesterday I stocked up:

Ice collar (the beanie thing Frogans2005 has
    Ducolax (to help with constipation from pain pills)
    Cholraseptic spray and cough drops
    Warm mist humidifier
    Liquid Benadryl (just in case to help with sleep)
    Shower steamers (I heard they feel good on your throat)

I still have six weeks but at least i am ready hehe. Frogans2005, good luck-you can do it! Let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much and I will. I am nervous a bit and quitting smoking at the same time lol.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
    Abbysnana
    (female)

Abbysnana HB User

Hey Frogans,
    I see tomorrow is the big day!! I'm sure you will be fine. I am on day 14 today from a tonsillectomy and uvulectomy and doing great. I was absolutely petrified before the surgery, after reading all the horror stories. I may be wrong, but I don't think I had the coblation method. When I asked what method the doctor uses, I was told "he snips them and then cauterizes them". I believe this may be the older method, but I'm not positive. Anyway, it's worked great for me so far.

One suggestion I would give is something I did that was very helpful when I got to about day 3 and could no longer eat creamed potatoes (or anything else for that matter)because it hurt!!! I took the chicken and stars soup, heated it, put a few crackers in it, and then put it in my little chopper (miniature food processer!!) and basically blended it into something like "cream of whatever soup". It might not look the most pleasant in the world, but let me tell you, when you are so hungry, it is extremely good. The first day or two, I ate creamed potatoes and gravy. I actually did not lose but 3 pounds and it may have been from all those potatoes!!!! I really didn't have alot of weight I needed to lose, but I was kinda hoping to lose about 8 pounds or so! Oh well...

As Tdooders said, drink water, water, water. Keep your throat moist. Apple juice is good too. I never liked apple juice before, and now I drink a little glass in place of my orange juice every morning.

I also rinsed my mouth out every day with warm, salty water. If nothing else, it made me feel better about that nasty junk on my tongue.

Alot of people said they set their clock to wake up and take medicine every 3-4 hours; I did not do that. I slept when I could and took the medicine whenever I had pain. I had liquid Lortab and it was wonderful. At the first sign of pain, I would gulp down 2 tsp. and within just a few minutes, the pain had eased tremendously. I was told I could take Ibuprofen along with this, but some people are told by their doctors not to take Ibuprofen, so I would check with my doctor about this. It is a good backup.

I never had any of the ear pain that some people experience, thank the Lord. I hope you don't have it.

I slept on my couch and ran a cool mist humidifer all night every night. I just could not sleep on my bed, for some reason. Even on the couch, I would wake up about every 2 hours or so. Every time I woke up, I drank a couple of swallows of water. It felt like I had a big glob of cotton in my throat for a day or two, but that goes away.

As I said, I am on day 14 and doing fine other than feeling like there's a little something stuck in my throat and getting a dry cough, feeling like a tickle in my throat at night. I went back today for my postop appointment and was told that was probably coming from the eschar or scar formation sloughing off; in other words, the scabs gradually coming off.

Good luck with your surgery, and remember this board is here with friends on the other end who have gone through what you're going through when or if you feel miserable!

I just read that you are quitting smoking? Good for you!!!!! That is a fantastic accomplishment. Every day with that too will get just a little bit easier. And you will be amazed at how much better you feel and can breathe!!! Kudos to you!!

Last edited by Abbysnana; 04-16-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

Hi Frogans,

Keep us posted and get a good nights sleep, congrats on quitting smoking I did a month ago, its hard but you can do it. Gum (not nicorette just regular) is my hero.

Mino

Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Coblation Tonisllectomy Recovery

Hey yall today is day 1 after surgery I am on a 5 of 10 scale in pain. So far I am loving ice packs popsicles chewing gum mylanta ( for acid reflux) and lots of ice water. Pancakes were a bad idea. Mashed potatos rock my socks tho. I took a shower and that made me feel better. No one warned me that my entire body would hurt tho. I can only sleep for 20 min at a time unless my mom is in bed with me or unless I have in ear plugs and a movie turned down low. I can't keep my thoughts straight but I really want my pain meds about 1.5 to 30 min before it's time. Right now it's 40 min and I'm going to try sleep. Thank y'all for wondering about me.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

Hey Frogans,

Glad you are doing well sorry to hear about the pain. Remember that if your meds are not enough you can always call your MD, he works for you. Keep us posted and i hope you can get some sleep.

Closed Thread