It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsils, Uvula and Turbinates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User
    Tonsils, Uvula and Turbinates

Hey gang...short time stalker, first time poster.

I am a 37 year old male scheduled for a tonsillectomy, turbinate reduction and Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on May 15th. The reason for this is that I have severe sleep apnea with over 120 apneas per hour. I get food stuck in my throat when eating and I have trouble breathing when exerting myself. My 8 year old son had his tonsils and adnoids out 5 weeks ago and did very well. He had trouble sleeping and was always tired. No issues with his tonsils. His adnoids were however blocking 80% of his airway and he snored like a chainsaw. His ENT wanted to see me because my sons condition, so I made an appointment. The ENT looked in my throat and said "Holy Moly!". This is a common reaction. My tonsils are the size of golf balls and my uvula is super-sized. So, here I am.

I have read several posts here and on different boards and am not looking forward to my procedure. I have found some great tips and plan to stock up on water and potentially edible food for the recovery period. I am sure that the two or three weeks of pain will have a huge payback long term.

I have a CPAP machine with a humidifier. Can I use this with the humidity cranked up during the recovery? I think it would be great to keep my throat moist when I sleep. I am concerned the pressure may be an issue. Any thoughts?

Brad

Last edited by BLKJAK; 04-29-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User
    Re: Tonsils, Uvula and Turbinates

I would def. ask during your pre op
    Good luck!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frogans2005 View Post
    I would def. ask during your pre op
    Good luck!
    Thank for the reply. I was just reading your thread. How are you doing after your procedure? I am nervous about the pain level around days 4-7. I guess if it hurts too much, I would need to ask the doctor if I could alter my dosage. Did you end up using the ice packs a lot or just as needed? I would imagine on the front of your throat?

Brad

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Brad I am 40 and had my tonsillectomy on March 27. For me recovery wasnt nearly as bad as some on these posts. I did use an ice collar constantly. Everyday just about all day and night. I bought two so I would always have one ready. My pain was the worst around days 6-8. But it was manageable with the pain meds. I took my pain med every 3 hours on those days. I also constantly drank water. I mean all the time. I would wake up every few hours when I slept to drink. I set my cell alarm for that. I also slept in the recliner for the first week. That helped also. I ate mashed potatoes like crazy. Jello, sherbet, chicken broth. I also had issues with choking on food when I ate and snoring was horrible. Night after surgery no more snoring. I no longer choke on food. I wish I had the surgery years ago. I never had the ear or jaw pain people talked about. I never felt any aches anywhere else. Only pain I had was throat and that was only when I swallowed. Neat trick I learned from one of the other posters here is during those really bad days of pain and when you swallow put your hand under your chin when swallowing and press up as you do. Sounds weird but it makes it less painful. Good luck. Post how you are doing.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User

Thanks for the advice. I plan on going out this weekend and purchasing some supplies and will include the items you mentioned. I am most nervous about the pain level. I have had kidney stones 3 times and think I can handle pain fairly well. My thought is that with all the medication available, I should not have to be in excruciating pain at any time.

I plan on documenting my progress for the middle aged people out there who are contemplating this procedure. Hopefully I will have good things to say!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

Overall I agree with tdooders it was not as bad as I read. Ice was awesome untill my ear pain came around. I used ice (ouside of neck and eating alot of cold items) days 1-4/5. After that Heat felt best as usual with ear akes. The ear pain was more of a strong pressure and yes it radiated to my jaw a little.
    As far as meds go I called my DR on day 7 because days 6-8 (not including day of surgery) were the worst for me. He upped the ammount I was taking not how close together I was taking them. It made me sleep through it wich in my opinion was best. I was also having a slight allergic reaction of itching to my med so I was taking benadryl with it.
    I agree with everyone on the DRINK thing. I always had a full bottle of ice water or room temp water beside me. I also found that Gatoraid was good later on but water was what I prefered the entire first week.
    Food was Mashed potatos (with sour cream, butter, or gravy), Malt-o-meal, popsicles ( my fav were the Flavor Ice the kind that is not frozen at the store but you put in the frezer when you get home), push up pops (use to be flinstone now scooby doo), small ammount of ice cream, and Easy Mac. It hurt to swallow but I forced down Mashed potatos just like I did water because the medicine didnt make my stomach upset with food in it so to me this is just as important. I knew I did not want to vomit like others that I heard of because that would mean ALOT of PAIN!
    Also like tdooders I no longer snored starting the night after surgery =)
    The pain was only unmanageable when I didnt take my meds. I didnt set my alarm for water but for Med. I did drink when I woke up for that though.
    I had body akes (like after a good work out) for a few days I am told this is from the med they put me to sleep with. but it wasnt too bad. Over all the experience was not as tramatic as most you read about.
    Even before surgery I came to realise something. I work in customer service. I would say a good 90% of my calls are mad people, 5% Happy peopke, and 5% other. There for most people dont say anything when they have a good experience. So remember that. I'll be happy to tell you my experience on anything you are wondering. I was scared to ask people so I wanted to put that out there =) Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User

I am starting to collect items for my May 15th Extreme Nose and Throat Makeover. I saw that many people have had good luck using either cold or warm neck wraps. I looked at the local stores here, and a single wrap goes for $15. I put an ad on Craigslist and a local woman responded that she had some. She made several a few years ago. 4 inches wide and 20 inches long and filled with rice. I paid $1 each! I will be ready to ice down my neck and warm up my ears.

A good client of mine also loaned 15 DVDs to me so I won't have to rent anything. I wonder if they will make sense while I am medicated??

14 days to go...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

HAHAH movies while medicated. Really I am sure they would have all made sence had I been able to stay awake haha. I would see mabye 15 min before I would fall asleep! I never made it all the way through a movie it was funny. I kept making mom put them on for me over and over just for the backgroud noise because I knew I would be to sleep soon! Yeah...good luck with that one! =)

Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User

C'mon, give a guy a break! I am going to give it a shot. I'd rather have options than be stuck watching a Lifetime movie at 3am some night. I hope I get good medication for this. I have had Vicodin for kidney stones, and that doesn't really do much for me. Some people say the Tylenol with Codeine is pretty effective. I don't know...but I do want to be somewhat comfortable.

13 Days to go...

Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

I was taking Lortab and that did the trick for me. Also I got addicted to watching the food network lol. Kinda like torturing myself. I watched A LOT of TV. Didnt sleep much the first 5 or 6 days.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
    Mino09
    (female)

Mino09 HB User

I am getting geared up for my tonsillectomy on 5/28 and have been carefull not to watch too much tv so the shows will be new, LOL. Also nervous about pain control but my MD said he would give me liquid and pills so I could take whichever one I can handle.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
    BLKJAK
    (male)

BLKJAK HB User

Good Luck to you Mino09!! I have a physical scheduled for this Friday. It was a requirement by the ENT before they would do the procedures. I can't say I am looking forward to the big day, but I know it will be worth it.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

tdooders1- I dont know how you handled watching food. One morning my caregiver made themselves a breakfast burrito -- If I had felt better I would have kicked her in the shin! lol!

BLKJAK- Oh I would def. try to watch it. Would have been boring not to! I think I had about 50 movies ready to go! Def a good choice!

Vicoden/Loritab worked pretty good. I wouldnt have wanted anything stronger. My mom is a recovering addict DOC was Vicoden and it scared me just to take it for that short ammount of time honestly. Right on the bottle it says habit forming. It was a good choice to take it tho. I think it handled the pain well. My surgery center didnt give me the script till after the surgery I had no idea what they were going to give me. Had them call it in to CVS and picked it up on the way home! Wish I wouldnt have had to do that but I didnt mind too much just pulled through the drive through. I had the liquid. The pills are pretty big and I honestly dont know if I could have choked it down. Atleast the liquid had somewhat of a numbing quality for me and it went down pretty well.

Okay so I go in for post op today and I have a few qustions: has anyone ever had a problem drinking after like i feel like I have to cough every time I take a drink like I inhaled it? And I get a little winded when I talk alot sometimes. Like I went for a jog. Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

Definitely ask the dr on using the cpap. On another forum that i participate on, one older gentleman couldn't use it for a couple of weeks. He didn't use a cpap or bipap.. he had a Vpap. He did later start using it short term for naps until he was able to use it at night

Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Frogans after my first day at work I was really tired. Like I had ran a marathon. I went back to work after 13 days. I seem to clear my throat more now than before. Not sure whats up with that. I go back to my ENT in June for checkup.

Closed Thread