It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

  • confused

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
    wallaj
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: AR
    Posts: 72
    wallaj HB User
    Question confused

    Help! I'm 56 and have recurrent episodes of strep throat. This is the third round since April. I now have two antibiotics left that I haven't reacted to, Cipro and Clindamycin. My primary doc and ENT both say tonsils need to come out, but that I need to get my high blood pressure under control first. (I'm on two meds for that.) I've put this surgery off for years. My son had it done a few years ago at 24, and I saw what he went through. I guess I just need someone to tell me to go for it. I'm hoping that by fall I can do it. Anyone had it done at this age? If so, how terrible was it?

    Last edited by wallaj; 06-30-2009 at 12:52 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Posts: 509
    friendsville HB User
    Re: confused

    I am a lot older than you,and still have my tonsils.I would make darn sure that there is nothing more to do in regard to your strep problem.To me,surgery is the last resort,especially in "mature" individuals.I have had strep throat in the past,I believe,and took some anti-biotics and that was apparently all that was required.Sometimes I would go to a walk-in clinic,and "bypass" my family doc.I think it is worth a try.Be confident if you
    do this.Don't process it,just go in and say,"it is acting up,and it would take
    too long to get an app't with my family physician".Remember,you are the person with the problem...not them. Don't be intimidated! I read Marshall Rosenberg's stuff, on improving my self-worth etc.He is a smart cookie.Good
    luck with everything. Bill

     
    Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
    Lindaelizabeth
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Perth West Australia
    Posts: 59
    Lindaelizabeth HB User
    Re: confused

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wallaj View Post
    Help! I'm 56 and have recurrent episodes of strep throat. This is the third round since April. I now have two antibiotics left that I haven't reacted to, Cipro and Clindamycin. My primary doc and ENT both say tonsils need to come out, but that I need to get my high blood pressure under control first. (I'm on two meds for that.) I've put this surgery off for years. My son had it done a few years ago at 24, and I saw what he went through. I guess I just need someone to tell me to go for it. I'm hoping that by fall I can do it. Anyone had it done at this age? If so, how terrible was it?
    Hi Wallaj

    I am 54 this Sunday 26th July and have suffered with tonsillitis all my life usually having a dose every year, this last year has been dreadful, have had a dose every 4 to 6 weeks, my quality of life is nearly zero as I sit and wait for next dose scared to go out in the garden, out shopping, to see friends encase theres a bug around that will set it off again, the thought of anyine coming near me with a cold or the flu yuk.
    I am a nurse and still have to work through it all, I probably catch it in the hospital anyway from sick patients.
    I have now got to the point of no return and have realised that they have to come out. The date is the 1th August. Be brave go for it. Oh and bye teh way I am S...t scared.
    Linda

     
    Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
    Lindaelizabeth
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Perth West Australia
    Posts: 59
    Lindaelizabeth HB User
    Re: confused

    Oops I meant 17th August. If you decide to go head let me know and maybe we can do this together. i have a lot of helpful ideas to get us through this. Learnt a lot from this sit and from being a nurse as well. I don't want to grow old and have to suffer with tonsillitis can you imagine being old and demented with tonsillitis, ha ha but I am being serious.
    Linda

     
    Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Birmingham, AL
    Posts: 19,816
    Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: confused

    Having to take antibiotics that often is not good for you. You need to have them out...My mother would not allow them to take mine out when I was a child though I had a bout every month from Oct to April. By the time I was 20, I had allergies to penicillin and sulfa drugs as a result of taking them so much. Finally had them out at 25 when I was grown and married and in charge of my own healthcare. That was 38 years ago and I have not had a single case of strep since and only had the flu once but have developed allergies to many other antibiotics as well. Get them out and be done with it.
    My docs won't give me an antibiotic unless there is no other recourse and it's in a hospital setting...not a fun prospect, if you ask me.

     
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
    wallaj
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: AR
    Posts: 72
    wallaj HB User
    Re: confused

    Linda, Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that someone is facing this problem, too. Since I posted this I've had another episode of strep. It seems that if I'm within a mile of it, it invariably finds me. I'm an elementary teacher, so I come in constant contact. I think I've decided to try to do it this fall. I'm a little nervous, because I recently had some minor bladder surgery that required a general anesthetic. I woke up constantly coughing. I know that won't be fun after a tonsillectomy. Your post really helped. I can identify about avoiding any situation with lots of germs. When eating with friends today I begged them for no food bars. Please keep me posted about your situation. Maybe we can get through all 'this fun' with help from each other.

     
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
    wallaj
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: AR
    Posts: 72
    wallaj HB User
    Re: confused

    I can definately identify with the antibiotic situation. I'm down to two at this point, cipro and clindamycin. I try to avoid the clindamycin if possible. Everytime I take the cipro I pray that I'll make it through treatment without reacting. It's nice to know that after your tonsillectomy the strep went away. Thanks for your post.

     
    Old 07-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
    Lindaelizabeth
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Perth West Australia
    Posts: 59
    Lindaelizabeth HB User
    Re: confused

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wallaj View Post
    Linda, Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that someone is facing this problem, too. Since I posted this I've had another episode of strep. It seems that if I'm within a mile of it, it invariably finds me. I'm an elementary teacher, so I come in constant contact. I think I've decided to try to do it this fall. I'm a little nervous, because I recently had some minor bladder surgery that required a general anesthetic. I woke up constantly coughing. I know that won't be fun after a tonsillectomy. Your post really helped. I can identify about avoiding any situation with lots of germs. When eating with friends today I begged them for no food bars. Please keep me posted about your situation. Maybe we can get through all 'this fun' with help from each other.
    Hi Wallaj, good to hear from you I think you and I are on the same wave length, the sore throat and dry throat is from the intubation tube so its not uncommon, when you have your tonsillectomy - notice the when just make sure you have cough lollies etc to suck on. I am already armed and ready to go with mine 3 weeks tomorrow, so what month is fall, we are currently in winter. The american post op recovery advice is different from The Australian / Uk advice we have to eat toast prior to discharge and we must continue a normal diet to prevent scabs from forming, plus all the other stuff, got the humidyfier, plus I have ordered some 2% xylocaine mouth gargle that can be swallowed which will numb things up if it gets too sore, it comes in a gel type consistancy but can be mix with water, its what is used when proceedures that requires a scope or such like is needed to be put down the thoat. Don't know if you can get it over the counter or not in the US . Its quite expensive like about $90.00 Au for 200 mls. So I figure at that price it must be good. Havent got it yet its on order so I,ll do a test run prior to surgery. And also we are given tramadol as well as oxycodone to go home with. Not sure if tramal is used in the US. Cos it has and does cause 2 not so nice side effects hallucinations and nausea, but I have had it before and I think I,ll be ok, when it dosent cause a person side effects its a really good pain killer. We have this saying at work with it when using it for the fist time on a patient start low take it slow. ie start with a low dose and see how they go.
    Think I,m starting to dribble. don't feel too hot today please god not another dose. Have really had enough. Kindest regards Linda

     
    Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
    wallaj
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: AR
    Posts: 72
    wallaj HB User
    Re: confused

    Hi Linda, Thanks for the tip about the gargle. I will definately check into that. I was with my son several years ago when he had it done at 25. I plan to use the same doctor. He was sent home with percocet, which he religiously took. We also did the midnight rush to the ER when bleeding started on day 5. The strange thing was another patient that had his removed by the same doc on the same day was in the ER too. It makes me a little nervous to use her, but she has an awesome reputation. I'll have to pick up a humidifier. It sounds like you are prepared and ready to go. I'm thinking maybe late October or early November, depending upon the schedule at school. The thought of constantly not having to worry about being sick is such an incentive. Can you imagine? We'll be new women! I'm enjoying your posts. Pleas keep me posted. Wallaj

     
    Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
    Lindaelizabeth
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Perth West Australia
    Posts: 59
    Lindaelizabeth HB User
    Re: confused

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wallaj View Post
    Hi Linda, Thanks for the tip about the gargle. I will definately check into that. I was with my son several years ago when he had it done at 25. I plan to use the same doctor. He was sent home with percocet, which he religiously took. We also did the midnight rush to the ER when bleeding started on day 5. The strange thing was another patient that had his removed by the same doc on the same day was in the ER too. It makes me a little nervous to use her, but she has an awesome reputation. I'll have to pick up a humidifier. It sounds like you are prepared and ready to go. I'm thinking maybe late October or early November, depending upon the schedule at school. The thought of constantly not having to worry about being sick is such an incentive. Can you imagine? We'll be new women! I'm enjoying your posts. Pleas keep me posted. Wallaj
    Hey Wallaj, good to hear from you , back to the docs today back on penicillin, which will take me up to surgery date, when you go to get this gargle remember its not a gargle its a viscous, its thick clear pink stuff called xylocaine viscous, its not a liquid or suspension or fluid its a viscous. Its actually used for procedures to topically anesthetize the mouth or esophagus stomach
    I picked it up today. It'll be good for the first thing in the morning I should think.
    Percocet is the same as oxycodone which is a really good fast acting pain killer. Gosh your poor son with the bleed, I would say having another patient bleeding at the same time was just a piece of bad luck. That's the least of my concerns. I'm more worried about pain and nausea.
    Feeling crappy to day, had to have the day off sick yesterday but my nurse manager understands. Am on a late shift tomorrow so I should be ok as I caught the infection early. ITS GOING TO BE MY LAST BOUT OF TONSILLITIS.
    Bye for now Linda

     
    Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
    wallaj
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: AR
    Posts: 72
    wallaj HB User
    Re: confused

    Hi Linda, Sorry to hear that you are sick again. Just think, this will be the last time you'll have to deal with this. I know how discouraging it can be. It gets to the point where you feel it rules your life. I have an overnight retreat for school on Thursday and Friday and have already accepted the fact that I will probably be at the doctor's on Monday with strep. If I don't, it will simply be from prayer.Just think of how wonderful we'll both feel in a couple of months. Take care and I hope you feel better soon. Wallaj

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    i am so confused!!Any ideas??? marmar2007 Cancer: Breast 5 12-26-2007 09:55 PM
    I"M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mtm9138 Lymphomas 4 08-04-2005 02:05 PM
    Still confused: Leep & Dysplasia Sadiwest Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 7 01-04-2005 11:45 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!