It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Constant blocked nose and Sudafed spray usage!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
    kath1975
    (female)

kath1975 HB User
    Constant blocked nose and Sudafed spray usage!

Hello,

I have been suffering from a constant blocked nose since November 2008. This started off as an infection in my sinuses, which my doctor treated with anti-biotics.

However the infection comes and goes, it is no longer painful sinuses (this happens in cold weather only) but my nose is constantly blocked/stuffy.

I have been prescribed 2 more lots of anti-biotics earlier this year which helped the pain, but I still have the blocked nose.

I am now 100% reliant on Sudafed Nasal Spray to get me through the day - this is the only thing that clears it.

I went to the chemist who told me to stop using the spray as its likely I have a rebound infection caused by using it. So I stopped, steamed my face regularly with hot water and used menthol cystals and put Olbus Oil on my pillow. This worked for about 2 weeks and then it came back and I was back to square one. I have since tried to stop using Sudafed again and do all the above, but I cannot shift my blocked nose.

I went back to the my doctor last week, showed him the Sudafed Spray and told him what the chemist had said. His response was that if it cleared my nose, then keep using it!

I have since bought a herbal nose spray as I need to stop using the Sudafed, it does help a little bit during the day but find I have to use the Sudafed on a night, as I get a headache if I let the congestion build up.

I have tried taking hayfever tablets, and a hayfever nasal spray but they did nothing so I don't think its an allergy problem.

I just want to get to the bottom of it, and stop using the Sudafed spray totally.

Has anyone any suggestions on products I can use that are not as harmful as Sudafed or any advise on how to clear up this problem?

I have been told to ask my doctor for a spray called Syntaris which I believe is a steriod spray - would this work ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as this problem is now starting to get me down

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Constant blocked nose and Sudafed spray usage!

Quote:
    I am now 100% reliant on Sudafed Nasal Spray to get me through the day - this is the only thing that clears it.

I went to the chemist who told me to stop using the spray as its likely I have a rebound infection caused by using it. So I stopped, steamed my face regularly with hot water and used menthol cystals and put Olbus Oil on my pillow. This worked for about 2 weeks and then it came back and I was back to square one. I have since tried to stop using Sudafed again and do all the above, but I cannot shift my blocked nose.

I went back to the my doctor last week, showed him the Sudafed Spray and told him what the chemist had said. His response was that if it cleared my nose, then keep using it!
    The chemist was correct, the doctor was wrong (don't go back to him if you can avoid it).

It sounds like you are "addicted" to the Sudafed spray. Using a decongestant spray for longer than 3 days causes "rebound congestion". Essentially, the tissues in your nose develop a tolerance for the spray and begin to need the spray just to stay at their normal size so you have to use more and more of it (more frequently) to treat your congestion. This condition is call rhinitis medicamentosa.

The spray can also cause permanent damage to the lining of your nose and sinuses.

Quote:
    Has anyone any suggestions on products I can use that are not as harmful as Sudafed or any advise on how to clear up this problem?

I have been told to ask my doctor for a spray called Syntaris which I believe is a steriod spray - would this work ?
    To wean yourself off the spray there is a several step process you can go through. First of all, get the Syntaris and start using it the day you start weaning yourself off. Get a new bottle of Sudafed spray and a bottle of saline nasal spray. Find a clean work area, wash your hands, and remove the spray top from the Sudafed spray. Pour out 1/4 of the Sudafed spray and replace it with saline spray (so you have a bottle of 3/4 strength Sudafed spray). Use that for a couple of days and repeat this process every couple of days until you've diluted the Sudafed so much that it's just saline.

The Syntaris will help with the swelling, and it may take a couple of weeks to wean yourself off of the Sudafed completely but be patient and stick with it.

You might also benefit from using a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle or Neti pot to irrigate your sinuses with saline - it will help soothe them and may help with the swelling (it's also great for helping with allergies and colds).

Closed Thread