It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Sore throat with weird taste/smell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
    hmmwhatisthis
    (female)

hmmwhatisthis HB User
    Sore throat with weird taste/smell

Hi I have had a weird sore throat for about 3 weeks now, I have tried several things because I am trying to avoid a visit to the doctor. It is a sensation that something is stuck in the roof of my mouth at the very back of my throat. It is scratchy, and gets more painful everyday. I have a weird taste/smell too, it's faint and it's not a terrible smell, but I have smelled something similar in kids with sinus infections before. I don't have a stuffy or runny nose, I have had pain in my right eye at times, but being that I suffered sinus infections and had surgery years ago I am familiar with what the sinus infections I suffered then were like and this is very different. I have gargled with salt water, used the netti-pot, tried hot showers when the pain is at it's worst etc. It's sort of crazy and may be totally unrelated but I have had some other weird symptoms for about 3 months which started as severe leg pain at night, then I had an episode with severe back pain and dizziness that I thought was a kidney stone. After a late night trip to the Emergency Room I was told that it was probably just something wrong with my back and was told by ER doc that I really should have an MRI. I followed up with primary care doc and she prescribed meds for dizziness, and ran a battery of tests for Lupas etc. so far all negative. Besides this sore throat that seems to be getting worse by the day, my main complaint was the major leg pain at night, which starts like clockwork about two hours into sleeping, it wakens me and there is nothing that makes it better, I just have to suffer all night and get no sleep. It is not like the charley horse cramps that many people describe, and I have had those before so I know the difference. Just to see if it may be RLS she tried me on meds for restless leg but they didn't help at all. What did help was Neurontin, which i am taking 600 mg before bed, if I take it, I sleep no leg pain, if I don't, I revert to the same waking up two hours into sleep with severe pain. I don't know if the sore throat could be related, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. I also seem to be developing a problem with my feet after sitting for any amount of time, when I get up it's like I am an old person who can barely walk. I am 37 and pretty active, I excercise etc. I did have an MRI of my lumbar spine, and a CT of the brain, but both were negative. I am not a depressed person, and live a pretty stress-free life, thank God! I am sort of wondering why the neurontin helps being that there is nothing showing up on the tests I have. It seems crazy to be taking a medicine that works, but not knowing what is wrong makes me curious as to if there is something underlying and that it is all connected. Just trying to see if anyone sees a connection with what I have going on and can steer me in the right direction. Thanks for any info! ~L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread