It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• pain after an adult tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
    mcghees4
    (female)

mcghees4 HB User
    pain after an adult tonsillectomy

I am a 37 yr old woman on day 9 after my tonsillectomy...I am in the worst pain ever.....I cannot swallow it hurts sooo bad in my throat around my jaw (I am swollen) and up to my ears and temples!!! It is sooo bad it is a burning and stabbing pain...I have to put my fingers in my ears to get a sip of water to take my pills and it still hurts like hell. My worry is that I am going to dehydrate because that sip of water is all i am getting...I have tried ice cream, popcicles, jello, and broths...the first cpl of days I was able to tolarate these now I have tried and I just can't...Someone please tell me what to do.....I have talked to the nurse and she said that all of this was normal but I had to drink drink drink....well I can't drink...I am spitting into a bottle even with the pain meds....
    Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T TAKE THE PAIN ANYMORE AND I AM SOOOO SOOOO THIRSTY!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
    fkpetrone
    (female)

fkpetrone HB User
    Re: pain after an adult tonsillectomy

My husband went through this in March of this year. I am surprised to hear you are drinking. He couldnt even have an ice chip in his mouth for 3 weeks. He was fead through tubes in his noise for 3 weeks because they were afraid of him getting infection. To say the least, he or I was not prepared for what this was going to be like. He feels great but talking didnt sound good, til he had a soft pallet extention done just yesterday.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
    RachP02
    (female)

RachP02 HB User

I cant believe they didnt give you liquid pain killers. I had my tonsillecomy done when I was 28 & they gave me roxicet which is basically the liquid form of percocet. It was very effective & I was not in much pain at all. Maybe you should talk to the doctor about getting different pain meds. Sorry to hear about your experience, it sounds horrible!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
    Frogans2005
    (female)

Frogans2005 HB User

I remember feeling that way. I also got liquid paid medication. I was on Hydrocodone. When they say DRINK DRINK DRINK they mean it. Swallow your spit even when it hurts to do so! I called in on day 9 and told them I was in sooo much pain they HAD to help me Had to! they uped my dosage. Then within 2 days I was SO MUCH BETTER. But you have to swallow through the pain! Because you are not taking in enough water IT WILL GET WORSE. It gets dry and hurts even more! Water was the best room temp at that point but if you still have swelling Ice water was better! Instant potatos were best for me with some sour cream in them was awesome. but if you dont get some water now you will get worse and end up in the hospital where they will not give you extra meds. THey may have to go back in and recauterzise wich willl start you all the way over DRINK even when it hurts! I had mine out April 17th. Life is so much better now =)

Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
    Curtis315
    (male)

Curtis315 HB User

I am on day 9 of my recovery, I am 20. The thing that helped me most, I finally said the hell with it and took my dose of pain meds, and a lil extra just to make sure the pain was at ease, and even though it hurt, I tried eating and drinking as much as possible. I understand the pain your in, TRUST ME, I understand. Once you can start getting something in your mouth, and your throat gets the exercise from swallowing, it may hurt, but it will begin to strengthening itself. HANG IN THERE!

ALSO!!! Use an ice pack on the outside of your neck/jaw/throat, and that should help the pain and any swelling.

Closed Thread