It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsil stones... can't take them anymore! Plz help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
    scrubsfan2009
    (female)

scrubsfan2009 HB User
    Tonsil stones... can't take them anymore! Plz help!

I've had these ever since I can remember. They bug me and they're nasty! Plus, a couple weeks I had a sinus infection/cold thing with lots of mucus going on so, since then I've had some tonsil stones that have been bigger than normal.
    I've tried everything to get them out aside from getting my tonsils removed which I won't do unless it's medically necessary!
    I've tried pushing them out with a q-tip(I've read that a lot of people push on their tonsils when q-tips and they start popping out), I tried to scoop or hook them out with one of those plaque scraper tools, I've tried gargling, I've tried EVERYTHING that I've read about on every website I could find. NOTHING works!
    The only way I can get them out is if they work their way out a little on their own and I hack until they finally come up. Sometimes I can feel them there, it feels almost like they'res a popcorn kernel stuck to my tonsil. I hack and hack but, I can't get it out. Only when it's work it's way to the edge of the tonsil on it's own and I give it a really good hack will it come out. The other day I had a big one stuck to my tonsil and I had to hack really loud to get it out and my husband thought I was choking on something. It was so embarrassing!
    How can I get the tonsil stones out? Are their any natural remedy for them? Or even remedies using common household products(Listerine, salt water, whatever...)?
    Please help! I can't take it anymore!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
    stophypertensio
    (male)

stophypertensio HB User
    Re: Tonsil stones... can't take them anymore! Plz help!

You have to take super extra care of your dental health overall. The only real cure is to get your tonsils removed. If you have these stones every once in a while, it'll be hard to convince a doctor to get them removed, but if you having them frequently then you got a case. Try a water pik in the mean time.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
    bittygirl
    (female)

bittygirl HB User

I get tonsil stones periodocally due to post nasel drip. Feels like something stuck in my throat or it gets sore. I agree. The water pick helped me out. After I use the water pick to help loosen it up, then I use a q tip and squeeze it out by pushing the end of where its located. Most of the time the stone comes out but sometimes not.
    good luck.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
    Monkey100
    (female)

Monkey100 HB User

I do sympathise! I have also suffered for years but about 18 months ago they got so bad it drove me crazy. For me it's impossible to dis-lodge them with a q-tip - I have a very sensitive gag reflect and no way can I get anywhere near my tonsils. After a terrible bout of them when one grew so large it made me feel sick and it only came off after weeks and weeks they have got slight better. I'm sorry I can't offer any comfort but I also think smoking didn't help and I have now drastically cut down. Removing the tonsils is so drastic but I was actually considering it because I was getting so distressed. My only advice would be hang on in there - mine have improved and I only get them occasionally now, and nothing like the huge ones a while ago. I also have post nasal drip so there is probably a connection.

Last edited by Monkey100; 09-02-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I messed around with them for years -- gargling, q-tip, my finger. And finally in my mid-30s I went to the Ear Nose and Throat doctor and scheduled surgery. I WISH I'd done it much sooner! For years I've suffered from sinus like headaches -- once my tonsils were removed --- no more DAILY headaches. Think I maybe get a regular headache once or twice a year. So I figure my tonsils were making me sick. My ENT indicated that with the one tonsil no amount of antibiotics would have gotten rid of the deep infection -- that the amount of tonsil stone material was about the size of a golf ball it went so deep.

The recovery wasn't so great, but I wish I had done it much much sooner in life.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
    andvari
    (female)

andvari HB User

You say you won't do surgery unless it's medically necessary. Sorry to say, but if you want to stop the stones, it's the only way. I too had this problem, got my tonsils removed 3-4 years ago.. best decision ever. Those stones stunk, and were a pain, and I'd ALWAYS have sore throats. What this is is called, chronic cryptic tonsilitis. Yes, you have tonsilitis, and it won't ever go away... unless you remove your tonsils. You can choose to live with it, or choose to have surgery. Up to you. But that's the only advice I can give you. I rarely have sore throat now whereas before it was a normal occurence.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
    KAM1991
    (female)

KAM1991 HB User

Oh wow I've been having these things for the past.. maybe year or so? I am only young and it's really been bothering me. It seems to be fairly chronic (I'm always removing them). Anyway, I wonder if I should see my doctor and ask his advice if I should get my tonsils out? Also I have been experiencing more frequent headaches and my ears always feel stuffed up.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
    Skeet Letzmer
    (male)

Skeet Letzmer HB User

I feel your pain. If you want to know what worked for me, I will tell you what to do.

Buy a Waterpik and a small flashlight. Open your mouth wide and look into it with the flashlight. See your tonsils? See the folds in the tonsils? You're going to need to insert the Waterpik into those folds and turn it on with the lowest pressure.

BUT! Before you do I would seriously recommend taking one of the Waterpik heads to a hardware store and buying a drill bit that can open up the hole at the tip just a bit. A drill bit only slightly bigger is necessary, as you can work it around in the hole to make it as big as desired. I've opened mine up enough that I can clean out my tonsils without causing bleeding.

THERE'S MORE! This Waterpik tonsil exploration is going to take some getting used to. The first time I used it I made myself throw up. The second time wasn't much better. Don't try to get them all in one night. What I did was use the Waterpik until I had to refill it again, then called it a day. The next day I would explore my tonsils more and try to figure out where they all were hiding. On the FIFTH day I discovered a fold of skin on the right side of my throat, inserted the tip of the Waterpik, and let it rip. I was mortified by how many tonsil stones came flushing out. It will take a while to find them, but don't give up, it is worth it. I do it now every once in a while with minimal discomfort. Once you get the hang of it do it with Listerine to really blast the disgusting little bastards.

And I know the idea of buying a new drill bit (and an electric drill, if you don't have one) not to mention a Waterpiik is daunting, but come on, this is WAR. You owe it to yourself.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
    KAM1991
    (female)

KAM1991 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skeet Letzmer View Post
    I feel your pain. If you want to know what worked for me, I will tell you what to do.

Buy a Waterpik and a small flashlight. Open your mouth wide and look into it with the flashlight. See your tonsils? See the folds in the tonsils? You're going to need to insert the Waterpik into those folds and turn it on with the lowest pressure.

BUT! Before you do I would seriously recommend taking one of the Waterpik heads to a hardware store and buying a drill bit that can open up the hole at the tip just a bit. A drill bit only slightly bigger is necessary, as you can work it around in the hole to make it as big as desired. I've opened mine up enough that I can clean out my tonsils without causing bleeding.

THERE'S MORE! This Waterpik tonsil exploration is going to take some getting used to. The first time I used it I made myself throw up. The second time wasn't much better. Don't try to get them all in one night. What I did was use the Waterpik until I had to refill it again, then called it a day. The next day I would explore my tonsils more and try to figure out where they all were hiding. On the FIFTH day I discovered a fold of skin on the right side of my throat, inserted the tip of the Waterpik, and let it rip. I was mortified by how many tonsil stones came flushing out. It will take a while to find them, but don't give up, it is worth it. I do it now every once in a while with minimal discomfort. Once you get the hang of it do it with Listerine to really blast the disgusting little bastards.

And I know the idea of buying a new drill bit (and an electric drill, if you don't have one) not to mention a Waterpiik is daunting, but come on, this is WAR. You owe it to yourself.
    Thank god I don't have a gag reflex, I just usually go in with my fingers and sqeeze the suckers out. I went to the ears nose and throat doctor and he said to gargle with listerine also he said that if he had had a certain tool he would have just resurfaced the tonsils to eliminate crevices where the bacteria get caught, I suggest people ask for this treatment. Turns out I had an ear infection though and since that's cleared up, no more stones. Yes I had an ear infection for a year lol.

Last edited by KAM1991; 03-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Your tonsils are of no use to you once they become infected/embedded with stones or anything else. You must know that they can cause you a great deal of infections as they are a filtering system but once they don't work right anymore they can cause you more grief than it is worth. I don't understand those that hang on to the tonsils no matter what ...most of the baby boomers had their tonsils removed so we know that other filters take over when they are removed. Digging out stones can cause many problems and infections that your tonsils can no longer deal with and I would guess it is time just to have them removed. good luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I second that, AnnD. Why not just have the things taken out? A 2 week recovery stint is better than dealing with all this for the rest of your life. I've never regretted having mine out.

Closed Thread