It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Uvula removed -- excess mucus in throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
    septem
    (male)

septem HB User
    Uvula removed -- excess mucus in throat

Had my uvula removed as part of surgery for sleep apnea. Recovery went well except 2-3 months later I feel a steady stream of mucus in the back of my throat.
    I am a 57-year old man with NO history of allergy problems -- no sneezing, watery eyes now -- just the mucus.

(My doc acts like it's no big deal and will go away or I'll get used to it -- I'm NOT.)

Has anybody heard of this? I really need some relief.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Uvula removed -- excess mucus in throat

You may not have allergies with the usual symptoms, however, something is keeping the sinuses producing mucous.

Try taking a Zyrtec anahistamine and Mucinex. The Mucinex will help thin mucous and reduce the drip.

Last edited by Misty800; 12-30-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
    septem
    (male)

septem HB User
    Re: Uvula removed -- excess mucus in throat

Thanks, Misty. I believe you are correct.
    I feel much better today and I praise the Lord because I was so uncomfortable I was irritable and distracted all the time.

Yesterday I bumped up the dosage of guaifenesin (active ingred. of musinex) from 400 to 600 mg. and drank a great deal of water.
    Also I washed my bedsheets and comforter real well. (dust mites ?)
    Today I feel much better. The drainage has been minimal. I intend to continue cleaning my house and more regularly.

Golly I hope that's the end of that mess.

Thanks.

Closed Thread