It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ongoing sore throat 7 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
    craig007
    (male)

craig007 HB User
    Ongoing sore throat 7 months

Hi

sorry for long post , just typed all this out and browser crashed when i went to post it .. lost it all...

Symptoms
    Sore throat at very top of throat where nose drains out into throat
    Hoareness of voice (slight)
    Excess Clearing of throat to make voice normal during day -
    some very very mild ear pain to right ear when drinking or when i first wake up
    all started with bad cold 7 mths ago - cold gone 1 week - sore throat/horseness remain 7 mths later. (every single minute of day...)

Treatment so far.
    GP visit x 4 and ENT visit x 2.
    Geud suspected - omeprazole used two weeks no improvement.
    Anti Biotics x 3 types used at different times no improvement.(broad spec stuff)
    Endoscope releaved nothing sinsister ie cancer/ tumors that where visable in throat.
    Buracort spray used for post nasel drip with pills for allegies (its summer here now) no improvement...
    CT scan reveled dual drainage holes in Maxillery sinus where only one should exisist on both sides . (unusal says ENT)

latest is suspected chronic sinutitus because of "dual drainage" holes and ENT recommend FESS surgery to (on both sides) to make dual holes a single hole to fix.(ie cut between them) called bilalateral FESS something... GP says that he not sure if that the cause or not and only very minimal signs of infection on CT scan, ENT sounds unsure if it will fix also when questioned...

any comments / suggestions? any help appreciated - woundering if the FESS surgery is the right way to go , don't mind having it if it fixes me but don't want to have if unlikely to fix the issue.. any other sugesstions/help welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Ongoing sore throat 7 mths

Quote:
    Symptoms
    Sore throat at very top of throat where nose drains out into throat
    Hoareness of voice (slight)
    Excess Clearing of throat to make voice normal during day -
    some very very mild ear pain to right ear when drinking or when i first wake up
    Your symptoms are very consistent with the initial diagnosis of GERD but two weeks of omeprazole is no where near enough to give you relief. Typically with GERD, acid will cause areas in the esophagus and throat to become inflamed and irritated (which causes hoarseness and a sore throat). Your body's reaction is to create more mucus to try and protect those areas, which is why people with GERD complain of chronic throat clearing. In some cases, the irritation is severe enough to cause inflammation in the sinuses, which causes additional post-nasal-drip, and you've got a vicious cycle on your hands.

In those cases it generally takes 8-12 weeks of treatment with PPIs like omeprazole, plus lifestyle changes to give those irritated areas a chance to heal and for things to return to normal.

Quote:
    latest is suspected chronic sinutitus because of "dual drainage" holes and ENT recommend FESS surgery to (on both sides) to make dual holes a single hole to fix.(ie cut between them) called bilalateral FESS something... GP says that he not sure if that the cause or not and only very minimal signs of infection on CT scan, ENT sounds unsure if it will fix also when questioned...
    If the ENT is unsure, and there are minimal signs of infection, there is no reason to even consider sinus surgery at this point. Your best bet would be to keep using the butacort, start irrigating your sinuses daily with a neti pot or SinusRinse bottle, and work with your GP to really try to eliminate the possibility that acid reflux is the underlying cause of your symptoms (12 weeks of at least 40 mg omeprazole daily plus the appropriate lifestyle changes).

Quote:
    Buracort spray used for post nasel drip with pills for allegies (its summer here now) no improvement...
    You might also stick with the allergy treatment - it could be one more thing that is playing a part in all of this.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
    craig007
    (male)

craig007 HB User
    Re: Ongoing sore throat 7 months

addtional info...

went to my denist yesterday to rule out my teeth as any sort of cause of the throat issue. what was interesting is that he commented on the unsual wear on my teeth and asked me if i was aware of grinding my teeth in my sleep (i don't acording to wife)

The sensation in my throat moves sides (never just in one place) and does feel like a sore irritation / dryness most of the time , almost like a slight burning feeling at times also that spreads to the back roof of my mouth ocassionally.when i first had it straight after the cold it was a lot worse it was deep in my throat as well (below adams apple) - that part has gone but sensation has always remained at top to throat where nose drains out or top of my swallow.

have no heartburn symptoms but from what i have read that is very possible.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-06-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
    violindolphin
    (female)

violindolphin HB User
    Re: Ongoing sore throat 7 months

This is great to find this. I started noticing bad acid reflex last March 09. In the summer I took some prilosec. But it states not to use it for more than 14 days. Is it really safe to keep using it? What does it ultimately do to the body if you use it for a year or longer?

I have had an ongoing sore throat that has gotten worse the past couple of months. It is usually worse on long teaching days where I talk a lot. For a long time I just wrote it off that I was using my voice more than average.

Then I finally went to the doctor and he wasn't helpful. They tested me for strep and he looked at my throat where I have two large bumps attached to my right tonsil. They even had white dots on them. He deemed it tonsilitis (duh) and said it would go away on its own.

It hasn't and now I think I have a sinus infection and migraine to go with it all. I don't know if that came about on it's own or if I aggravated it by trying to deal with my itchy, painful, sore throat by using neti pot and other medicines.

I have also had the right ear symptoms and swollen lymph nodes (on the right side) at times too.

Does mine sound like GERD too?

Thanks

Closed Thread