It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Profound hearing loss... and work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
    TrekkerJane
    (female)

TrekkerJane HB User
    Profound hearing loss... and work

I'm in my 50s, fit and healthy, apart from severe hearing loss over last 10 years. Woke up with hearing loss in left ear 10 years ago, right ear 'went' few years later. More slow deterioration since. Umpteen tests later, told (probably) had Meniere's disease. Tough, but dealt with it pretty well, I think. Wear NHS over the ear digital hearing aids - thankful for them, but they are not brilliantly tuned - my hearing does change from time to time, especially if I am unwell, or stressed. Full time as PA to top rank director of a large corporate and forever trying to hide my hearing problem. If the subject comes up (my boss asked me this week - in a joky way - why I was ignoring him), I blame it on sinus/ear problem. I just can't talk about it at work because I don't want to be labelled and in any case I find it upsetting and embarrassing. I used to be confident and fun, but now feel anxious all the time and rather tearful. Oh, boy! What a whinge! Feel increasingly isolated and don't know anyone else in the same boat to talk to about this. Any advice welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread