It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Thick Mucus in Throat, please HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
    TylerZ07
    (male)

TylerZ07 HB User
    Thick Mucus in Throat, please HELP!

for about 2-2.5 years now i have had the feeling of having thick mucus stuck at the back of my tongue/throat. I continuosly try to get it up but it only causes me to make my self gag eventually, whch ends up causing me to vomit. I went about 8 months ago to an ENT, and he told me that it was Acid Reflux. I took Nexium for a little while, a week and a half or so. I saw no results, so i discontinued the use. I still have the problem and i dont know what to do.

P.S i drink occasionally and dip tobacco and eat spicy food. Never intake many Dairy Products

please help me someone

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User
    Re: Thick Mucus in Throat, please HELP!

I have had that problem for many months.I am ok when sitting up ,but have many 'uptakes' when laying back in a chair.I am afraid to take more meds,so I am sort of stuck.I can't see this stuff ever going away on its own. Bill

Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Thick Mucus in Throat, please HELP!

Quote:
    I took Nexium for a little while, a week and a half or so. I saw no results, so i discontinued the use. I still have the problem and i dont know what to do.

P.S i drink occasionally and dip tobacco and eat spicy food. Never intake many Dairy Products
    Taking Nexium for a week and a half is not long enough to see any significant improvement in acid reflux - it usually takes 8-12 weeks for symptoms like post-nasal drip and the feeling of a lump in your throat to improve.

In terms of what you should do, you really need to get back on the Nexium first. Alcohol, coffee and other caffeinated drinks, spicy foods, chocolate, tomato-based sauces and peppermint are all common acid reflux triggers so you should try avoiding those foods. It also helps to raise the head of your bed 6-8 inches, avoid eating for 3 hours before going to bed at night and lose weight if you're overweight.

I'm sure dipping tobacco doesn't help.

The mucus is your body's attempt to heal irritated areas in your esophagus (and the lump feeling is the inflammation of those irritated areas), so treating the reflux with Nexium and the lifestyle changes I mentioned above are the best thing you can do.

Closed Thread