It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy Tips

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
    nlwtp
    (female)

nlwtp HB User
    Smile Tonsillectomy Tips

Hello, I went through a tonsillectomy a while ago, and I poured through these boards for advice before mine so I thought I'd write about my experience.

I had the procedure done in late July, after several months of horrible tonsillitis that would come back even after finishing antibiotics and thinking I was all better. I was an 18 y/o female at the time, now 19, and this was my first surgical procedure.

The last thing I remember before I went in under the knife was talking to my dad, while I was lying down in the 'waiting area' in the hospital. My anesthesiologist had just administered the 'Michael Jackson' drug to me (as he put it) and I was out like a light before I was even wheeled into the surgery room.

I woke up in the recovery room with a nurse putting an oxygen mask on me. I was extremely groggy and felt the need to clear my throat so I did so softly. I got some pain meds in my IV and they gave me crushed ice and an ice pack to put on my neck.

My doctor perscribed me liquid Lortab, and a liquid Penicillin (it tasted like bubble gum, lol) to prevent infection. Luckily for me, the Lortab was very effective and knocked my pain down to about a 3 out of 10. Days 6-9, the worst days, it atleast took the edge off the pain.

I spent my recovery time watching TV, sleeping, and going on the internet or playing computer games.

The first few days I slept reclined on a couch and had a humidifier pretty much pointed at my face. Especially since I live in a dry climate. I got up religiously every 4 hours to take more pain meds and drink some water.

As far as food and drink goes, I sipped water all day. If I wasnt drinking water, I was drinking Gatorade Glacier Freeze flavor (it's light blue), and I gotta say it tasted pretty awesome.

The first day I had a large vanilla milkshake. I didn't really have a problem with dairy products, but I washed everything down with water. When I would wake up in the morning I'd have a Vanilla Ensure. I also had a lot of Cream of Wheat, the "instant" original flavor is in packets and takes about a minute to make in the microwave. I would hold off on Easy Mac, you can eat it but it's easy to get the noodles in your "holes" haha. I also made instant mashed potatoes for myself a few times. I bought a few things of baby food too but I didn't really like the taste. The chicken baby food was alright though. Lol.

One food that was the best, and the only food that seemed to have a pain relieving effect was Egg Drop soup from my nearby chinese take out restaurant. When your scabs begin to heal around day 5, cold stuff doesn't feel good anymore, and the soup felt heavenly in those more painful moments. I tried to have Campbell's chicken noodle soup but the broth was gross and oily. It's better to get freshly prepared stuff. Day 10 I was able to eat watermelon and some other fruit like cantaloupe.

Day 10 was the first day I actually felt quite a bit better, and by day 14 I was, for the most part functioning normally. I was able to wean off the Lortab pretty smoothly too. I didn't overtake it, in fact most times I didn't need to take a full dose, but I still had to get two refills. So don't feel weird about that, they don't give you very much.

So, in short, my recommendations are:

- Egg drop soup
    - Glacier freeze Gatorade
    - Vanilla Ensure
    - Cream of Wheat
    - Instant mashed potatoes
    - Baby food

I know I was grateful for all these forum discussions on tonsillectomies, since I was freaked out about mine. I'm glad I got it done, I haven't had a sore throat since.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
    wavesFL
    (female)

wavesFL HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy Tips

Hey, thanks for the post, I had my tonsillectomy yesterday. I'll have to get some of that blue gaterade. I bought packs of reddish colored vitamin water (cause those flavors are my favorite) but then I remembered you're supposed to avoid anything red or pink. Luigi's lemon Italian ice has been awesome! Jello goes down good too. I tried mash potatoes yesterday, but they burned my throat though they tasted great. Maybe in a few more days I'll be able to eat them with less pain (or maybe more like next week...)

I do have a question for you. How long til the uvula swelling goes down? Mine is swollen like 5 times the usual size, and it made it real difficult to sleep last night. It felt like what I imagine sleep apnea to be like. I've been keeping ice packs on my neck, so I hope that will help the swelling go down soon.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
    nlwtp
    (female)

nlwtp HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy Tips

I just slept on the couch propped up by pillows, the first four nights I think. By night 5 I was sleeping in my own bed again. Sleeping is definitely gonna be difficult for a little while. It's easier if you're in an armchair or just not completely flat on your back. I do remember putting ice packs on my neck too, atleast the first couple days.

I hope my answer helped. Good luck with your recovery!

Closed Thread