It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Swollen Tonsil - Worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
    cjtx
    (male)

cjtx HB User
    Swollen Tonsil - Worried

I am 29, 5'9, 210, a military reservist. I am a 1/2 pack a day smoker.
    Somethign bizarre happned to me last September. I was at the range firing, wearing hearing protection. I fired a round and all of a sudden I got this pain in my neck and jaw and ringing in my inner ear.

The tinnitis subsided but returned with a vengance a few months later. So I went to my ENT had he ran an audiogram and an inner ear pressure check, and said all was fine. He did notice however my right tonsil is very swollen and wants to remove it with a tonsilectomy. I am in the process of clearing my personal schedule so I can have the procedure with a week to recover.

What would have caused here are the facts

1) I returned from Iraq early last year

2) My sinus flare ups get wrose when my tonsil start to bother me

3) I get frequent low-grade fevers since this happened and my body feels tired.

4) Is my tonsil affecting my ear?

5) Did the force of the gushot create some kind of trauma that damaged my tonsil?

6) Do I have an infection that is only affecting one tonsil?

7) I went to a military class last year in a different part of the country and was sick the whole time with allergies and got into a couple of things I have never encountered before but apparentlly am somewhat allergic to.

8) I know there is an outside chance it could be cancer but the ENT was not too worried so I guess thats a good sign, buy I am a 1/2 pack a day smoker for 11 years.

9) I have a deviated septurm favoring the rght side

10) The sinus cavity on my right side needs to routed in the fture

11) I hear jaw clacking, which I had all my life on my right side.

12) My mother had her tonsils out at 30 my bother and maternal first cousin in their teens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Swollen Tonsil - Worried

It is not unusual for one tonsil to be swollen/infected and the other one to seem OK. Sounds like you need to have them out and see how you do for a while. It could be the source of most of your problems.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
    cjtx
    (male)

cjtx HB User
    Re: Swollen Tonsil - Worried

Just worried, a bit if I should put it off. If there had been sort of major cancer concern, the ENT would have made me take it out right of way and not delay?

Is it possible the force of the recoil of the weapoin I was firing that day or the loud sound caused my tonsil to get jarred? I did not have these problems until that one shot at the range.

Closed Thread