It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• ENT wants to take my tonsils out now...I want a sleep study first...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
    ENT wants to take my tonsils out now...I want a sleep study first...

I went to an ENT over the summer because I had a sore throat for several weeks and I had gone through two antibiotics. He scoped my throat and my tonsils were "huge" and my airway was narrow. He gave me prednisone and told me to come back in a few months.

I saw him again last week and my tonsils are still large, but I have not had a sore throat since early August and I feel great. He still thinks I should get them out - he thinks I might have sleep APNEA. I snore like a banshee and have done so since I was a kid.

I inquired about a sleep study but he feels I should get them out anyhow.

So here is my dilemma, if that is what you call it -

Do I get my tonsils out just because they are large? I have no other symptoms of sickness, just snoring, which may or may not be because of the tonsils.

I was thinking about the sleep study because it would be like a second opinion in my mind.

Dunno what to do! I hate to go through this surgery "just because I have large tonsils..." But maybe this is a reason enough to do it?

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
    Re: ENT wants to take my tonsils out now...I want a sleep study first...

My brother had bad tonsils and bad snoring as a teenager. By his mid twenties he was on blood pressure medicine. By his late 30's, his aorta dissected and he almost died. He got his sleep study a few months later. The snoring and the apnea had caused all of his issues. He did better once he got a CPAP but ultimately died from cardiac complications 4 years later. All because he didn't address the source of the snoring as a teen.

Sleep apnea is deadly. If a tonisillectomy will fix it--DO it.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

thanks for the info. and so sorry to hear about your brother.

We don't know if I have apnea, and I am curious so that is why I asked about having the sleep study done.

However, having your tonsils out does not necessarily mean that the apnea would be gone (if I have it). Sometimes apnea is not caused by the tonsils.

Decisions....decisions...

In any case, I am having a physical tomorrow and will be having the sleep study done.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there! well I read that the tonsils are there to help prevent infection lower down in the system and supposedly sort of catch bacteria, viruses or other pathogens. If a person weighs too much, the fat in the system can collect there in the throat area also. This can then cause the area to close up a bit more than it should especially at night during sleep. Oxygen deprivation to the brain can cause your IQ to lower and is not good for it. My relative has a Cpap machine to keep the airway open at night for breathing and he has learned to do it the healthy way without medicines in the system. In a sense I am surprised you received prednisone because they say it can lower the immune system which I would think might give trouble in a persons future. However perhaps the thinking was that because it reduces inflammation and swelling sometimes that he would use it for that purpose. I don't like prednisone much because I have seen terrible effects on people in my area who have used it. One lady was all swelled up and had a typical moonlike face. If you want I can relocate some posts on things I did to prevent many a sore throat for myself.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I no longer have the sore throat (see first post). I was put on the prednisone for only 20 days and it was to see if it reduced the swelling. I am no longer on it. My tonsils didn't change at all - like I had mentioned, they have been this way since I was a child.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

I am glad you are no longer on it that is important.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
    bekka980
    (female)

bekka980 HB User

I'm on day 6 post-op from my tonsillectomy. I had mine out because of sleep apnea. My tonsils were large and I experience infections 4-5 times a year, but even then my doctor was skeptical to have the surgery done. That is, until I had my wisdom teeth removed and the oral surgeon witnessed the sleep apnea. Right away I saw the ENT and got put on the list.

If you have no other pre-disposing factors towards the sleep apnea, I'd say go for the surgery.
    I didn't even realize how much sleep apnea was affecting my quality of life until post op. I used to snore terribly (people have compared it to a chainsaw lol), since surgery, I sleep silently! Also, I dream now! My sleep apnea would wake me before I got into a deep enough sleep to dream, I never realized until now! I've been dreaming every night and it's amazing.

The surgery is painful, I'm not going to lie to you, but already I'm seeing benefits and I'm only on day 6.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Closed Thread