It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Sloppy Tonsillectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
    Khrash
    (female)

Khrash HB User
    Sloppy Tonsillectomy?

Hey everyone, I'm 20 years old and had a tonsillectomy on the 5th.
    Directly after post op, i noticed theres been a larger-than-a-marble sized/scab covered piece of tissue attached to my uvula on one side, did my surgeon mess up and somehow forget to remove this too? It just doesnt seem possible but I have no clue what it could be. At first I just thought it was white, hard mucous, but it definitely has nerves/tissue underneath all the scabs. It's even hindering my uvula from being able to move independently from it. Like its absorbing it. D:
    The other side is completely normal and open looking, otherwise i would think it was nothing.

Hopefully my description is enough to get some advice!
    If my description doesnt make sense or is confusing, I'll gladly draw a diagram or post a picture! I really, really need to know if anyone else has experienced this and if they had to go back under the laser!

If I could talk, I would call my doctor and ask but right now my voice quits on me and I have no one to call for me until a few more days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
    choirgirl
    (female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
    Re: Sloppy Tonsillectomy?

Well, I didn't have anything that looked like something attached to my uvula. My uvula was longer than normal and had the white scabby stuff on it, though. I kind of wondered if it got in the way when the surgeon was doing the cauterizing. As my recovery went along, my uvula practically disappeared. Now it just kind of swoops down a little.

I had my second follow-up appointment a week ago, so I asked my ENT if he had to shave it off because of swelling. He said it was swelling during surgery so he clipped part of it off. Apparently, I also had a polyp on my uvula that he clipped off. I've read on the HealthBoards about some people choking and gagging on their swollen uvulas, so I'm glad he clipped it. I don't need it anyway.

I think you should give your surgeon the benefit of the doubt for now. Either wait for your follow-up appointment or give him/her a call when you're able to talk better.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
    Khrash
    (female)

Khrash HB User

I have no worry about my Uvula, it has the white scabs on both sides too but I figure thats completely normal, its the fact that its completely pulled over to the left and attached to something (leftover tissue/tonsil?) thats also attached to the top of my mouth

I'm so baffled by this.

Last edited by Khrash; 10-09-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
    Khrash
    (female)

Khrash HB User

Nevermind!
    I coughed really hard when i woke up last night, and part of it dislodged. I pulled at it since it was kinda of just dangling, and half of it came right off. No pain, no bleeding, no pink skin anywhere. I still have half of it left, but it appears to just be a useless scab/tissue/mucous mound that got out of control. So gross, but now that half of its gone, I can talk better and eat better. And when drinking, it no longer goes through my nose.
    crisis averted!
    Still going to ask the doctor why it was there right after surgery though...im pretty sure scabs cant arrive that soon. hmm.

Oh! I should also mention that where the part that came off that had been previously attached to my uvula, has no wound or any signs that it had been cut. It's a mystery how it managed to attack and consume my uvula...

Last edited by Khrash; 10-10-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Closed Thread