It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Countdown to Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #166
    Mom2SJnDA
    (female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User
    Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

adpace ~ YAY!! Glad you have finally made it to "the other side"! Very glad to hear you are finally feeling better!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2SJnDA For This Useful Post:
    cy1023 (03-02-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #167
    lilycake
    (female)

lilycake HB User
    Tonsillectomy in one week

Hi all,

I have been reading these boards in the last few weeks as I prepare for my tonsillectomy scheduled for March 7th. I am nervous, especially after reading some of these horror stories, but I am mostly excited to get these nasty things out of my body.

I have had recurrent tonsilitis since I was a teenager. I am 31 now, so that is a long time to be dealing with it! My tonsils are massive and block about 40% of my airway. Also, I have to dig tonsil stones out on a daily basis. I snore, get constant sore throats, and generally just feel fatigued. I currently have a terrible bout of bronchitis, so I am hoping it goes away in the next week so I do not have to postpone the surgery.

I mostly know what to expect thanks to this wonderful community. I will be posting my experiences with the surgery and recovery. Thanks to everyone for all of the good stories and advice. Good luck to those who are about to undergo this surgery!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #168
    adpace
    (female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

Hi Lilycake!

Welcome to the boards! It's a great place to come and get everything about the surgery off of your chest. And everyone here was very supportive. I understand how you feel as I've had recurrent tonsillitis since childhood. They even scheduled me to take my tonsils out as a child and then changed their minds - I've been cursing that doctor ever since I had to have this surgery as an adult! LOL

Anyway, I wish you the best and hopefully you can have your surgery on time! I had the same worries as I got a nasty sinus infection exactly 10 days before my surgery was scheduled. They told me they would do it as long as I wasn't running a fever and it worked out fine.

I had a pretty rough recovery, but I still think after all of it that it will have been worth it in the end. Just wanted to offer up that encouragement for you. You may have a few rough days during the recovery, but I think getting these awful things out is a good thing for those of us who have enlarged and infected tonsils. Two weeks (or so) of recovery will be worth it to have the rest of a lifetime of better health. Good luck to you in your surgery!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #169
    adpace
    (female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

Day 20

I just wanted to give what will hopefully be one of my final updates. My post-op appt was today and I had several things I wanted to find out about. I took a peek at the back of my throat before going in and noticed there is still what appears to be quite a bit of scabbing on the right side (BTW, I was getting the right & left sides mixed up in some of my earlier posts - blame it on the surgery LOL). I also still have a numb/tasteless tongue on one side.

The doctor said the tongue should really be healed by now. He said he thinks it will get better each day over the next few months. I am hoping he's right, but I do know there was a risk of this mentioned prior to surgery. It was just so minimal, I didn't think I would end up in that category!

Also, he says there's still a lot of inflammation back there. That's comforting to know, in a way, because I always thought I had a high pain tolerance, but this recovery has taken so long. . . So it's good to know that it's not just in my head (not that I thought it was, but still nice to have the confirmation). So it looks like I still have a ways to go despite the fact I'm nearly 3 weeks post-op, but it's looking lots better every day.

I meant to ask him about the lab reports, but the appt went so fast, I didn't think of it. I have to go to another follow-up in about 6 weeks because of the tongue issue, so maybe I can ask him then.

Hopefully I will be able to talk soon without sounding funny and be able to wake up without a sore throat or any discomfort throughout the day, but I'm just so happy to be beyond the worst of it!

Closed Thread