It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• 2 turbinate reduction surgeries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
    harris2215
    (female)

harris2215 HB User
    2 turbinate reduction surgeries

Hello,

In 2003 I went to a plastic surgeon for some cosmetic work on my nose, I had a hump fix and tip of nose reshaped. I was a mouth breather. He did a septoplasty, SMR, turbinectomy- reduction of turbinates. In 2008 my sister referred me to her ENT bc I had a bump in my right nostril and didn't know what it was and I was back to being a mouth breather and had sore throats all of the time. The bump was my septum. I asked the ENT to fix my septum and I had told him I had already had a Rhinoplasty but I wasn't sure of what was all done bc I only went in for comestic work. I didn't pay attention to the other stuff. On my preop visit with the ENT in 2008 he told me that he was going to reduce my turbinates bc they were hypertrophy and this would help me with my allergies, I said okay not knowing that my turbinates had already been touched. It has been 2 years since the surgery and my nose is in chronic pain all of the time. I just requested my medical records from the first nose surgery last month, so I just found out that I had two turbinate reduction surgeries and I am freaking out. I had no clue. Wouldn't an ENT be able to tell that I had alrady had a turbinate reduction surgery when he was in the OR? I know I have some left because I was at the ENT office on Tuesday, I went to a new ENT, and I was told that my turbinate is pretty far back, so it is there. It makes me made because I didn't go to the ENT for a turbinate reduction surgery, I asked him to fix my septum. My nose has crust all of the time, it is like sandpaper. I am also 30wks pregnant which pregnancy can cause a dry nose and congestion. Even when I am congested, can't smell, can't taste, I can alway breath through my nose. I also just found out over the Thanksgiving holidays that I have a septal hole and that to can be causing the scabs in my nose. As of right now I have crusting on the floor of my sinuses and scabs on my septum. I use a humidifer, aquaphor in my nose, new ENT has me on bactroban for my septum. I regret having the last surgery with the ENT because my nose has just gotten worse. It burns to breathe through my nose. He suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Please don't be harsh, bc I cry alot right now especially being pregnant.

Please help!

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: 2 turbinate reduction surgeries

I am so sorry that you are in so much discomfort, especially when you should be enjoying the Christmas seaseon, and your pregnancy and looking forward to the birth of your child.

I've had a lot of sinus problems over my life, and have had successful sinus surgery. Thank God my sinus problem days are over! (for now)

I thought about what I would do if I had gone through what you did. The ENT who did your sinus surgery did not produce acceptable results for you from the surgery. I would have to question why things went so wrong?

If I had the insurance or the money, I would find the most credible, top of the line medical hospital, like someplace on the level of the Cleveland Clinic, and go to the head of their Ear, Nose and Throat Department. In other words, I would go to the absolutely best expert I could find. There are a lot of ineffective doctors in this world. All patients must protect themselves from the substandard medical professionals and always try to seek out the best of them.

I hope that somehow, someway, you are able to get some relief so that you can enjoy your upcoming baby and enjoy the Christmas Holiday.

Take care, and good luck and good health to you!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-18-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
    harris2215
    (female)

harris2215 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I spoke with the on call ENT this morning and he said that some of the symptoms I was describing sounded like atrophic rhinitis which only made me have a breakdown he said it could also be a bad infection, so he put me on antibiotics. I am praying that it is not atrophic rhinitis and it is just a bad infection. I have seen various ENT's over this past month and none of them said I had atrophic rhinitis. I am waiting for my appt. with the ENT that did my last surgery so he can look in my nose.

I have a question, my surgery was 2 years ago, how long does it take to develop atrophic rhinitis?

Christine

Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Sorry to hear that you're going through so much. Unfortunately, the symptoms you're describing can be the result of having too much turbinate tissue removed (it's very unlikely that you have atrophic rhinitis), so it is important that you find an ENT who can work with you to manage your symptoms.

There are a small group of ENTs who recognize a condition called "empty nose syndrome" that results from the removal of too much turbinate tissue. The diagnosis is somewhat controversial (and I'll warn you that if you spend much time searching for information on ENS online you'll find a lot of overly-scary, fear-based hype that doesn't have enough science behind it to be helpful).

You really need to find an ENT who specializes in the treatment of chronic sinus disease, which almost always means a professor at a major teaching hospital (NOT a plastic surgeon or office-based general ENT).

The leading expert on Empty Nose Syndrome is Dr. Steven Houser (at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland). He's an excellent doctor who takes great care of his patients.

If you can't get to Cleveland to see Dr. Houser, there are two former top ENT doctors from the Cleveland Clinic who recently moved to Texas. Dr. Martin Citardi in Houston and Dr. Pete Batra in Dallas (they both have great reputations but I don't know either of them personally, and I don't know how they feel about ENS).

You might try to call Dr. Houser's office in Cleveland to see if there is anyone he recommends closer to your home, but It does sound like you need find a doctor who can help you with this, and it really does need to be someone who specializes in chronic sinus disease.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
    harris2215
    (female)

harris2215 HB User

Thank you for the reply. I live in the houston area so I will call Dr. Houser to see who he recommends.

Thank you again

Christine

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
    Muggril
    (female)

Muggril HB User

Hi,

I am also new to this site and experiencing the same symptoms. I had septo/rhinoplasty with turbinate reduction in August 2008 (About 2.5 years ago). Since surgery there has always been on "spot" in the very tip of my nose that scabs over and bleeds. At any given time there is always a scab and it always HURTS. It is very tender, to the point that if I touch the outside of my nose even slightly I jump.

I'm very frustrated, I saw another ENT (I have moved to another state since surgery), who gave me an antibiotic cream to use and then follow up. I did follow up several times, and everytime he gave me the run around ...."It's normal, will heal...give it time, can't do anything about it...etc." I continued using the cream until the tube was empty. No change.

Anybody have any advice??

Closed Thread