It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy helping nasal congestion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
    lalalaur89
    (female)

lalalaur89 HB User
    Smile Tonsillectomy helping nasal congestion?

Hi! I'm 21 and I just had my tonsils out yesterday morning. I went in at 6:30 and was home by 11:30. I woke up feeling sore in the "wake up" room and given ice chips in the recovery room to suck on. After a half hour of this I was ready to go home because I was getting antsy. As soon as I got home I took my pain medicine which burned going down, but was a life saver. I didn't eat much yesterday besides popsicles and a jello with cool whip, but I wasn't in HORRIBLE pain. I took my pain meds every time I could, and by 11 at night I was able to slurp down a soup at hand. I took two table spoons during the day of my pain meds, but at 2:00 last night I only took 1. It's 6:20 and I''m awake, chewing on ice, but not feeling the need to take more yet. My throat is very sore, but I'm refraining from talking or opening my mouth up wide so I don't plan on taking my pain meds until before I feel like eating some more jello.

So, before surgery my nose was completely stuffy (as I suffer from what I thought to be chronic allergies), and I have't been able to fully breath through my nose for years. Ever since I woke up from surgery my nasal passage has been clear. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and knows if it is normal or just temporary. I've read several stories of people having trouble breathing, not easy breathing.

I also had been struggling with chronic vomiting and nausea for the past year or so and after all of the stomach tests they could do they ruled out anything stomach-wise and suggested that it may be from my post-nasal drip. Since I am not experiencing nasal congestion at the moment I am not having my PND. I was wondering if a tonsillectomy has helped anyone else with PND and nausea/vomiting.

Any recommendations on how to keep my pain to a minimum would be greatly appreciated, along with any stories similar to mine to see what I have to look forward to (or not) about my PND, nasal congestion and vomiting. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
    bctoboston
    (female)

bctoboston HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy helping nasal congestion?

I don't know if there's an actual reason for it, but I also got my tonsils out yesterday and I feel like my nasal passages are much more clear!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
    IHateTonsils46
    (female)

IHateTonsils46 HB User

Me too! Got mine out 6 days ago and from the get-go I said to my fiance, WOW! I can BREATHE through my nose!!! Plus, my awful allergies around my kitty are GONE, how weird is that?? Could be due to the adnoidectomy they did, which removes the adnoids from the nasal area. They can be enlarged and block sinuses/breathing room. You probably had them taken out as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
    jenni9033
    (female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

I got my tonsils out when I was 21...I'm now 38. I never thought about the connection, but to tell you the truth, I rarely EVER have any plugging in my lower sinuses. In fact, I can't even remember a time recently when I've had a stuffed up nice. Once in a great while, a little running of the nose, but no stuffing/plugging. Which is nice...while everyone is sitting around sniffing with plugged noses from colds, I am sitting pretty.

However, something to be aware of. Turns out my upper sinuses and my eustachian tubes are not immune to plugging/clogging..and because I had no idea anything was going on "up there," since there were no real symptoms in the beginning, I wound up with a nasty case of eustachian tube dysfunction this fall/winter (I've posted a lot about that recently). A CT scan told the whole story...apparently, those upper sinus cavities of mine are a mess of swelling! So just know that you won't be immune to sinus problems...at least, I'm not...but it may not hit the lower sinuses any more.

They say tonsils/adenoids are the first line of defense against infection, but since mine were always a sore, swollen mess...and I had "chronic cryptic tonsillitis" (meaning, holes and pockets that would fill up with disgusting crud)...I'm SO happy I went through the pain of surgery as a young adult and shucked the darn things. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread