It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Care after adult tonsillectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
    ktd0626
    (female)

ktd0626 HB User
    Exclamation Care after adult tonsillectomy?

Hi! I am a 25 yo having a tonsillectomy and vocal nodules removed in a week.. I have done extensive research on the after care and recovery after these surgeries..I have heard the tonsillectomy is awful and I know i cannot talk or even make a sound for the first week bc of my vocal cord surgery. for those of you that have had it.. how many hours/days do you think that i need someone to "help look after me"? I live in an apt by myself and do not want to burden anyone but having them "babysit" me ya know? I will have my apt fully stocked and loaded with everything that i will need but being that its my first surgery i am not sure how much help i will need... I am thinking maybe just for the first 24 hours? any info would be much appreciated!! thanks so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
    frankieswife
    (female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User
    Re: Care after adult tonsillectomy?

I was 18 (I'm 24 now but it's still fresh in my mind)when I got my tonsils and adenoids taken out. I had a lot of pain following the surgery, and a ton of swelling. I required a lot of care (from what I remember) the first day especially, i was vomiting from the anesthesia, and running a fever and just in so much pain the 1st night. The first week i would say was the worst, and I guess it really depends on you whether you have some good pain meds and high pain tolerance etc. I couldnt talk for 2 weeks, and barely ate anything except maybe slushed ice, drank some fluids and some sorbet the first 2 weeks. I was able to eat chicken and stars soup at a not so warm temp at the end of the 2nd week I believe, I recommend that soup for sure because the noodles are the tiny stars and are easy to get down. You will probably be on some type of codeine or pain meds for sure so you will need someone to drive you places on that stuff, not that you will feel like going out. Sorry I'm not meaning to scare you I just am being honest. It took me 4 weeks to fully recover from the surgery and get back to eating normal foods again...like I said though everyone heals at different paces. I didn't have any vocal nodules removed, so I can't say how that will affect your recovery process. But if you are prepared and stocked up, you should be ok to take care of yourself, I mean pain meds can make you a little loopy so thats the only thing I would say. good luck to you.

Closed Thread