It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsil Beds Look Lumpy-18 days post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
    ttugolfer73
    (female)

ttugolfer73 HB User
    Tonsil Beds Look Lumpy-18 days post op

Hello everyone. If anyone could be of some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am 37 yr old female in good health who had tonsils removed 18 days ago today. I had tonsil stones and many deep crypts in my tonsils that filled up with debris on an almost daily basis for the last 6 months.

My question is...when I look at my tonsil beds now during the healing process, they do not yet look smooth, but rather somewhat lumpy. The lumpiness is moreso on one side. Is this anything out of the ordinary? I have started to worry about how it looks.

I also have one side that seems to be healing slower than the other side. I can feel a scab kind of low, like behind my tongue on the left side. When the ENT checked me last Tuesday, he noticed it and said that it looked like it was "drying out." I have drank constantly since my surgery and cannot imagine why it would be drying out. I know it is 18 days post op, but I am still worried about blood. I have read way too many bad stories online. My doctor told me that he could not remember when anyone had anything like that to happen this far out in the healing process. But, I have a very odd sensation on that side, like a pulling sensation where the scab is supposedly drying out. I drink water around the clock, still setting an alarm clock to wake me up to drink all during the night. It just seems as if that particular area isn't getting wet enough for some reason.

Also, at night I still have ear pain.

Thanks to anyone who has any information for me. This has been a difficult recovery time for me and I am still not eating solid foods as I probably should be. My diet is still on the soft side, however, I have maintained my weight during the process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
    adpace
    (female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
    Re: Tonsil Beds Look Lumpy-18 days post op

I went to my doctor at almost 3 weeks post-op and still had some scabbing and a good bit of inflammation. The pulling sensation (if I understand what you mean by that) is quite normal. It takes a long time to fully recover - my tonsillectomy was over a month ago (Feb 10th) and I still feel a pinch when I yawn and still feel as if there is some foreign object in my throat, but I'm quite sure that it is only due to the fact that my throat still has some mild inflammation (especially when I eat or drink something acidic).

I also still have a large-ish looking lump on the right side of my throat (where I had a much larger tonsil and much more infected). It also healed much more slowly than the left side. I think that must have been due to the fact that it was so much larger and cryptic than the other one. Plus, if you still have some scabbing, that would account for it looking "bumpy".

Another thing my doctor told me and my family that was in the waiting room during my surgery was that because my tonsils were so enlarged, my recovery time would likely be much longer. If your tonsils were extremely cryptic and large, then it wouldn't be all that abnormal to still have some pain and still be healing 18 days post op. If you are really concerned, maybe you could call your doctor and have a second post-op appt to ease your mind. But my guess is that you just need to give it some more time. I've read it can take 4-6 months, and sometimes even longer, to fully recover. While you should be feeling tons better and getting a little better each day, things may still be and/or feel abnormal for a while longer yet. Even a month post-op, I still felt quite odd, but it's getting gradually better each day and I have a much more normal life again!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
    ttugolfer73
    (female)

ttugolfer73 HB User
    Re: Tonsil Beds Look Lumpy-18 days post op

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adpace View Post
    I went to my doctor at almost 3 weeks post-op and still had some scabbing and a good bit of inflammation. The pulling sensation (if I understand what you mean by that) is quite normal. It takes a long time to fully recover - my tonsillectomy was over a month ago (Feb 10th) and I still feel a pinch when I yawn and still feel as if there is some foreign object in my throat, but I'm quite sure that it is only due to the fact that my throat still has some mild inflammation (especially when I eat or drink something acidic).

I also still have a large-ish looking lump on the right side of my throat (where I had a much larger tonsil and much more infected). It also healed much more slowly than the left side. I think that must have been due to the fact that it was so much larger and cryptic than the other one. Plus, if you still have some scabbing, that would account for it looking "bumpy".

Another thing my doctor told me and my family that was in the waiting room during my surgery was that because my tonsils were so enlarged, my recovery time would likely be much longer. If your tonsils were extremely cryptic and large, then it wouldn't be all that abnormal to still have some pain and still be healing 18 days post op. If you are really concerned, maybe you could call your doctor and have a second post-op appt to ease your mind. But my guess is that you just need to give it some more time. I've read it can take 4-6 months, and sometimes even longer, to fully recover. While you should be feeling tons better and getting a little better each day, things may still be and/or feel abnormal for a while longer yet. Even a month post-op, I still felt quite odd, but it's getting gradually better each day and I have a much more normal life again!
    Were you able to eat real food at 18 days? I struggle with mashed potatoes and such. I think I'm getting depressed right now. I have had a lot of pain, including ear pain. I refuse to cough and have stopped myself from sneezing at least once. I am scared very much right now. Everyone told me that I'd be all better in 2 wks after surgery, but I'm not. It makes me scared. I feel like my life has changed so much in the last few wks and everything I used to do now seems so foreign to me. I am still worried about any potential for bleeding, which my doctor says at 18 days (tomorrow will be 19) that it's just not going to happen. He says he can't remember when anything like that had happened to anyone of their patients. He checked my throat last Tuesday, and said I'd been babying it by eating soft food.

I was (am) trying to let it heal, but it is taking so long. I want to eat again so badly as I have lost a few lbs and I'm thin anyway. Right now, I wish I'd never had this done. My tonsils were cryptic, but not all that enlarged. They were getting tonsil stones almost daily and those were becoming bigger and more embedded all the time. They honestly hurt. That's what led me to the procedure.

But now, I am just terrified, tired, hungry, and maybe not thinking clearly. I'm tired of feeling fear every day, all day during this process, yet I don't know what to do. I'm so afraid if I eat, I will damage my tissue back there.

Closed Thread