It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ear, Throat and Neck Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
    AddisMom
    (female)

AddisMom HB User
    Question Ear, Throat and Neck Problems

I'm new here so I'll give a recap of when my problems first started and hopefully i'm posting this in the coorect place.
    Back in April started having some pain on the left side of my neck and it looks bigger on that side than the right and would sometimes have a tingling sensation go down that arm like there was a nerve being pinched. It wouldn't hurt all the time just come and go. I began to have tons of anxiety that there must be something wrong. Around this time also had an abscessed tooth(on opposite side of neck) and dr prescribed amoxicillin and I then got thrush which only added to my anxiety. After thrush cleared up still having weird sensation of something in throat so went to my Dr and she said neck pain was probably a pulled muscle (she did x ray to of shoulder and throat area) and throat problems sounded like reflux. One day back in June had a horrible headache that made me sick to my stomach and couldn't even see straight. Husband took me to ER and they did Ct scan of from chin up and said everything included sinuses looked ok and because my neck was so tight it was a tension headache. During all this noticed that the side of my neck that hurts looks a little swollen but i don't feel any lumps. Looks more like the SCM muscle is swollen. On that same side I start having my jaw lock and my ear getting stuffy like I can't hear out of it properly and a feeling of something in my throat like a lump when i swallow. ENT said this was all allergies, LPR and the neck was once again a pulled muscle. Told me to take an allergy med like allegra and then omeprazole for the reflux.

Fast forward to last week still having so much anxiety my Dr put me on Zoloft and it seems all the symptoms have multiplied. ENT works me in because she knows of my anxiety and does a scope down my throat and sees that my throat is pretty inflamed and swollen but nothing in there looks suspicious or cancerous(which is what is terrifying me). She recommends getting a massage because that side of my neck(left) is so tight and when I go to "flex" my neck the left side can't move which she thinks adds to the feeling in my throat. So after going to ENT it seems the lump in my throat feeling is still there but isn't as bad as before. ENT thinks my anxiety was making it that bad. Go get a massage on the left side of my neck and the lady says all the places I hurt are right in line with pulling the SCM muscle and she doesn't mention feeling anything abnormal. Three days later after massage and side of neck still looks swollen ear stuffiness is still there just not as bad and same for the jaw.
    My question has anyone had their SCM have a problem like this before and secondly does this sound like I should get my Dr or ENT to check further into this? After 3 months of this I'm so scared it's something bad but everyone I see doesn't see anything wrong with my neck being like it is.

Symptoms as they happened:
    Pain in left shoulder and tingling down arm
    Pain on left side of neck and the muscle there looks swollen
    When swallowing it feels like there's something in my throat
    Jaw starts locking up and clicking when I open mouth
    Left ear starts getting very stuffy

And to be more clear of the area that hurts it is the left side of neck down to the collarbone and then the side of my shoulder has a tight pinching feeling. Pain also goes up to area behind left ear and sometimes get pain in my chest area just below my collarbone of the left side as well.When turning my head to the right my left SCM muscle does stick out quite a bit compared to the right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread