It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tinnitus all my life, is it normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
    rockatiel
    (female)

rockatiel HB User
    Tinnitus all my life, is it normal?

Hi,
    I'm a 19 year old female, no serious health issues. It really isn't much of a problem except a simple annoyance, but I've had ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember, even as a child. It's loudest at night, I hear tons of frequencies and ringing at different pitches, from very high to maybe mid range. Right now, and normally when there are other noises around me, it's high pitched and I can hear it above other things. My hearing doesn't seem affected, but this ringing has been going on since I've been alive, it seems, and I wasn't sure if it's cause for concern or not. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
    MagicalNYDude
    (male)

MagicalNYDude HB User
    Re: Tinnitus all my life, is it normal?

Have you eve been to a Doctor and told them about this? Or a ENT? From what I have read, its not normal, many people suffer from this. I am starting to think that I have "Tinnitus" but very low. I sometimes here this tiny hiss and ringing in my right ear. My Doctor checked my ear and saw some scars. Not sure what she meant by that. You should get a hearing test.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
    still life
    (male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

I'm 21 and I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember too. I don't know what caused it originally. I think I had a number of ear infections when I was younger, so that may have been the cause. You're right, though, that it's really just a slight annoyance and nothing to be concerned about.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
    rockatiel
    (female)

rockatiel HB User

I haven't been to a doctor for this reason, I just thought that it happens, I guess because if nothing's happened otherwise it's nothing to be worried about. I will talk to someone about it though. I mostly just ignore it, I have no ear pain or anything like that, so I just live on.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
    jenni9033
    (female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

I think it's normal to hear "some" noise, especially in a very quiet atmosphere. Just like you can hear the "ocean" by pressing your ear to a seashell. It's not tinnitus unless it becomes something distressing or annoying or unusual for you. Even when my diagnosed tinnitus is having a quiet day (my tinnitus is a low-pitched hum in the right ear only that comes and goes at whim), I always can hear a high-pitched series of kind of electrical-like sounds in both ears. But those sounds have been there as long as I can remember, and they are so faint that I only notice them when there's no background noise. I consider them normal, for me.

Closed Thread