It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Blocked left ear but no pain...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #61
    buffalonygal
    (female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User
    Re: Blocked left ear but no pain...

HI Meow! glad u got that fungus out..you will probably find your ears are much less itchy...altho mine still itch sometimes.......got an chiro adjustment tonite..he did some maneuver where he went to the mastoid area behind the ear and did some sort of twisting motion...it did seem to help temporarily.........he seems to think i am experiencing muscle spasms in the jaw area and since the etubes are in such close proximity to the muscles..it could be causing the pain/pressure.........he did the gun thingy in a couple of spots in my jaw and hopes that after a few weeks of doing that the deviation when i open my mouth will lessen some..he reminded me ive been a clencher for a LONG time by the looks of my teeth so he said this may take time to resolve..I do get the pulsating headaches...i can acutally feel my heartbeat throbbing for a few minutes -mainly when im really stressing or thinking about it....so im trying my best to relax.....O and Meow, i did experience a lot of pain after the suctioning..........it lasted for a couple of days......i lived off motrin. Jen, my ent said the ct scan showed no evidence of infection, no fluid...so im stumped as to why this pressure is still there....would the ct have showed the ETD i wonder? gota ask the ent that..i use qtips alot and at one point used earplugs to sleep at nite awhile back cuz hubby snored sooo badly.....ive stopped using them tho cuz ent said those can breed fungus..do any of u experience crackling sounds in your ear? it sounds like fluid but there is none so i will keep using the tumeric, and the formula 303, and quercetin should be here tomorow.....ive taken more meds in the past 8 months than ive taken all year.....Jenn thanks for the info about the rain/pressure connection........we are expecting rain all weekend...so i will see how i feel...oh and Jen, the headaches can become really bad sometimes.........feels like my head is gona explode off my shoulders.................slept like crap last nite even with my sleep med cuz i kept waking up and stressing.......I know ALOT of mine is caused by work, my job is a complete hellhole to work in, and i know if i can find another job with less stress it may help.........i had a headcold back in Sept 2011...its been all downhill from there....but that is when things started getting MAJORLY stresful at work, so im thinking there is a stress connection here. cuz ive had headcolds b4 and never had the ongoing ear issues that linger like this..........................altho like i said my chiro is convinced my clenching is a major contributor to my problems...he said its like a millimeter that separates the jaw muscle from the etube......so if that muscle is swollen and in spasm, it can effect the etubes but its more of a referring pain, not where the problem is acutally orgininating from...it made sense when he was telling me i hope it makes some sort of sense to you guys too. allergies are probably a part of it too, even tho ive never delt with them before, the ent says they can happen at any time in a persons life..........zyrtec doesnt do anything for me.......so i duno if it is or isnt allergy related?!?!jen do you have a lot of sinus congestion? i would think if u had a fungal sinus inf. you'd be really congested???? 2 previous ents TOTALLY missed my fungal inf..the 3rd one FINALLY got it right and i did experience relief when she suctioned that grose stuff out....just not 100% relief of the ear fullness....its better than it was but not hearing like i used to several months ago. Well, its great to have people on here that can relate to what we r going thru....my husbands patience is wearing thin with my complaining.....they just dont get how annoying it is.......but lets all keep positive and keep believing this IS going to get better for all of us!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #62
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User

Joyce- yes I do get crackling and all that fun stuff when I swallow/yawn. But I also do hear a popping sound (right side 1st, then left) so I know my e tubes must be opening at least somewhat. The question u had about the etd showing on a ct scan- no it wouldn't. You need to see an audiologist and have a hearing test and a tympanogram. The tympanogram is this simple test that they use to determine middle ear function. They put this probe like thingie in Ur ear n it feels like a tiny bit of suction, and it produces a graph. The graph will tell the audiologist about ur middle ear n Eustachian tube function. The major point that they look at for etd is the pressure levels (daPa). +50 to -150 daPa is considered normal middle ear pressure. If u look up tympanogram or tympanoptry online u can find out about this test. It might prove useful for u to have this done because it could rule out etd for u. I know ur thinking tmj but if u haven't had the test, who knows right? Also I researched tmj a bit more today n found out that it (the muscle spasms) can actually CAUSE etd. So maybe at least look into that test. My recent tympanogram showed normal middle ear function on both sides but the pressure difference was kinda big. My right ear was only -5 daPa n my left ear ( the crazier one) was -85 daPa. Up to -150 is considered normal, but I don't know -85 seems like a lot to me. ENT says it's normal though, weird. He thinks my stuffy sensation is due to the pressures between the ears being quite different.
    The headaches r killer, I feel a bit better that I'm not the only one. Sometimes I can't tell if the pressure is in my ears or head or somewhere in between! Today I took my girls to the park n within an hour I had a migraine type headache. We had to leave. I get the nausea n everything. Wondering if it was allergies. I broke down n took allegra d n felt no major difference in pressure. So I think I'm done with drug antihistimines.
    I let my quercetin go this morning in favor of that allegra n ended up taking it later on out of desperation when I started getting a super blocked sensation in my left ear. Lo and behold, maybe 1 hr or so later, my ear started feeling less pressure. I'm starting to think it might be doing more for me than I originally thought. I had pain even, n it seriously went away! I'm going to keep up the quercetin for sure!
    I'm trying to get back to work next week after being off for a month n a half. I will be working on a different team ( I work in retail at a place known for their Angels). It's very noisy in the mall n it was giving me migraine type headaches with nausea n dizziness. That's why I took my LOA. Now they offered me a position on the backswing team from 6-10am, so hopefully it will help to work without music blaring n all the noise of regular business.
    One last thing that I remembered that's weird is last summer, my husband n I noticed our storage unit was infiltrated by mold. We literally were in there for about 45 min organizing stuff b4 we realized it. We threw everything out n closed the unit. A couple weeks later I started getting migraines. It started with my right eye feeling like it wasn't seeing equally with the left. I got an eye exam n they found nothing. For over a month I couldn't wear my contacts, my eyes were irritated, and I kept getting migraines. The pain would start on the left side n move around the head to the right. Eventually the migraines disappeared. 4 mos later after my cold my ear blocked up. After a few weeks of blockage, the headaches started again. No aura or anything like that. But the nausea came back n the dizziness. The dr thinks it's un related to my mold exposure. I don't know though because my allergy test showed significant mold allergy. I wonder sometimes if these r somehow related to a mold (fungal) sinus infection. I had sinusitis for a month without discharge. The antibiotics couldn't touch it. I ended up self medicating with mucinex/sudafed for 2 weeks until all the mucus started coming out. It was like it was impacted in my sinuses. I still wonder to this day what would happen if they did swab my sinuses n culture them. I wonder about the mold aspect n I also wonder about a lingering infection, like staph, that isn't killed by regular antibiotics. Maybe I will ask my PCP if he can do the swab/culture when I see him next. I just feel like there is something more to this all. I looked up chronic sinusitis symptoms n a lot of mine match. Even the etd. Plus I have severe fatigue almost everyday. Not normal for me as I am usually really active.
    I hope that everyone has a good nite n gets a lot of rest- good rest is essential to our bodies healing themselves! Talk to u guys soon!
    Jen

Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #63
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User

Hi guys- hope everyone had a good day. I have my stepson over this weekend so I will now be Jenmomof3! My kids r nuts when they get together so it should be an interesting weekend! I noticed that lately I'm breaking down n taking the meds I'm trying not to take so I can get some relief from my eat pressure. I truly feel like my right ear is going to heal. I'm concerned about the darn left one! It has been super annoying with pressure the last few days!!! I took allegra-d yesterday n sudafed today. Drinking lots of fluids to keep hydrated as I know these antihistimines and decongestants can cause dehydration. Also using my saline nose spray to keep things moist. I can't afford to feel yucky this weekend! I called a couple of those well known ear docs today n was shocked at all the procedures it takes to get in to see one. I have decided that the best way to go about this is to start a bit closer to home (Chi- Town!) n work my way out if this ear stuff keeps up. There's an otology group in Chicago that I'm gonna check out on Monday. I'm going to ask them if they are familiar with eustachian tube dilation surgery so I can know beforehand if it's gonna be a waste of time and money to go see them. I guess there is a fighter in me, as I refuse to be told to live this way forever. I know I haven't ever shared this with u all, but I also suffer from another horrible health condition called interstitial cystitis. It's basically a chronic irritation of the bladder lining which mimics the symptoms of a uti/bladder infection. I came down with it in 2006 when a clumsy ER nurse inserted a catheter into my bladder to do an emergency ultrasound ( I was pregnant with my older daughter at the time, and was having bad cramps). After the catheter was removed, I was peeing blood. The dr's were like 'that's not normal' and gave me an antibiotic to prevent an infection n sent me on my way. For the rest of the pregnancy I was in misery and pain. Saw probably 40 dr's to try to find out why I had this burning pain in my bladder. Was put on drugs to ease the pain which was severe. I'm talking opiates like fentanyl, dilaudid, and morphine. All this while pregnant. Fortunately opiates do not have many side effects on a fetus, with the exception of withdrawl symptoms after birth. I had no choice. I was a store manager n had to quit my job. I lost all hope. I admit I even thought of suicide because the pain was that bad. I had to pee literally every 5 minutes with burning pain as my bladder filled if I didn't. I was on the couch for 6+ mos. I suffered severe depression. Every dr thought I was nuts. They thought an abortion might cure my symptoms but I wouldn't do it. Eventually after Isabella was born and my symptoms persisted, I had a cystoscopy ( they inflate ur bladder w saline under gen anethesia) sure enough, I had interstitial cystitis. I had inflammation all over my bladder lining. I had to continue to see a pain dr for the constant pain and took morphine everyday. I also took elavil, a tricyclic antidepressant, which also seems to help IC sufferers with their pain. I have since that time stopped all meds n only needed to take an opiate painkiller during my 2nd pregnancy due to severe bladder pain. In the last year I've been in semi- remission. Then this darn ear stuff started. My luck. And that steroid shot I got? Flaring my IC big time for some reason. I'm having burning bladder pain again for the first time in awhile. I'm up at nite peeing for the first time in awhile. Plus the darn ear! Jeez! So if I ever sound a teeny bit (or a lot) negative, I do apologize n ask for ur understanding n support. I'm struggling with 2 annoying things at once now n I can't seem to catch a break. I have 2 kids to care for everyday n a 3rd who I love to spend time with when he's here. I feel like I don't have time to be so miserably sick. I'm angry. I've been trying to find the courage that god gave me 5 yrs ago to deal with my IC n get on with life, but can't seem to get there yet. I prayed for a cure for my IC but instead God gave me strength to live with it. I feel like 2 chronic conditions is too much. I know I can be a Negative Nancy, but I firmly believe that God will either cure us of this or give us the strength n courage to go on. I did it before though I never thought I could and I can do it again, and if I can do it, SURELY you guys can. I will talk to u all soon!
    Jen
    P.s. Joyce I started a St. Jude novena for u too! Hoping he will ask God to cure u!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #64
    buffalonygal
    (female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

Good morning!!!! well its rainy & damp here..i notice my left side of my nose is plugged...might have something to do with this weather.....my eyes were itching and i was sneezing yesterday so i took a zyrtec didnt seem to do much except ease up the itchy eyes a bit! i know i hate taking all this med..ugh!!!! i use saline spray regularly...helps keeps the nose from drying out........Jen i feel so badly u are going thru so much,esp. with little kids....i had the granddaughter last nite for a couple of hrs and i was worn out!! they keep ya hoppin and when u dont feel your best its HARD to keep up with them! Ears yesterday were HORRIBLE..i litterly felt like my head was gona explode..BUT! i had a very stressful day (dealing with an elderly mom is almost as hard as dealing with little kids)..so between helping her and dealing w/my stressful job i felt like i was gona explode..........headache & earfullness was unbearable......so i started to pray.......i do that ALOT now.......prayed for peace and it helped.! thanks for the novena Jen! woke up several times thru out the night to a clenched jaw..so much so my teeth ached..i gota look into a night guard..it might help........l hope u have a good day today...my quercetin should arrive in the mail today..eager to try it!!!!!!!! i will keep u posted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #65
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Hello all, I just checked back to see if anyone wrote. I went to my stepson's baseball practice today it was nice to be out in the fresh air. I did end up with a headache and ear pressure was quite severe though. I did say a prayer that it would subside, but so far no go. I don't know if u get this too Joyce, but I get terrible nausea when I get the headaches. I hate that throw up feeling so bad! Trying to get some quiet time but with 3 kids under 7 running around, it's kinda hard! I will keep praying for this horrible headache to go away I guess. I know it will go away in time, just wish it'd go a bit faster. Hope everyone is having a good day, or as good of one as possible. I think some fluids and rest will be in order for me tonite!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #66
    buffalonygal
    (female)

Hi Jen......i dont get the nausea with headaches..its just like an alll over tension headache that feels like someone is inside my head squeezing it but to the point where i wish it would pop but it wont........i get alot of pressure in my jaw area..and that is painful.........still rainy and gloomy here........nose is def. more stuffy when its like that outside!!!!! Praying for you.....and apprecite ur prayers too!!!!!! will ck in later!!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #67
    Angrydog
    (male)

Angrydog HB User

Does anyone get a squeaky noise when they close their ear canal?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #68
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Hi Angry Dog,
    I can't speak for the others, but I don't think I get a squeaky nose. I can usually pop both of my ears, but it's harder on the left side, my more problematic one. I tend to just get the weird crackling noises. I also get pain sometimes. Are u talking about ur Eustachian tube when u say ear canal? Thats where I think I have much of my problems. I don't have any problems in my ear canal that I know of. Let us know more about what's going on, maybe some of what ur experiencing is something we have experienced.
    Jen

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #69
    Angrydog
    (male)

Angrydog HB User

Hi Jen,

My thread below this one explains what's happening with me. The squeaking I am getting is when I basically put my hand over my ear. My right ear doesn't do it

Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #70
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

I did read your post, is it possible that your symptoms are just because one of your grommets is starting to come out? I think ive read about sone people's symptoms of why they got grommets returning when the grommet falls out. I know u did say that your grommet wasn't really out thought. I tried one in my left ear to relieve the pressure/fullness sensation and was not happy because it relieved neither feeling for me and worsened my hearing, which is normal. I had the dr remove it. It's good that your dr is at least testing u for something so maybe u will get an answer there. I feel that we r all looking for answers which is why we post here. I will tell u one thing that ive found while researching my own condition- don't push on your ear canal. Apparently certain types of force to this area can cause sudden hearing loss. Something to do with causing increased pressure on the inner ear where the nerve is. I have no experience with that so I don't know if it's true, but I have read it a few times. I wonder though if u might be right about PET. It sounds like it could be an answer, even if your dr doesn't think so. I am hoping for us to find relief from our annoying/painful symptoms soon.
    Jen

Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #71
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Also wanted to ask u guys what u take when ur pain is bad. Having pretty bad pain today in the ear n bones around the ear, not sure what to take for it as I've already tried motrin. Pain level is pretty high, I woke up this way. What should I do?! Can't face going to the ER cuz they havent done anything so far. My husband is taking us for a drive to see if that might help. Getting concerned cuz the pain is in the bones around my ear too. No swelling and no fever at this time, just nausea and lightheadness. And burning throbbing pain in and around my ear. Please give advice!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #72
    LoopyLuci
    (female)

LoopyLuci HB UserLoopyLuci HB User

Jenmom,

Tylenol is going to be what I am sticking with going forward. I have bad hyperacusis and tinnitus with my current issues. I took Motrin last night before trying to fall asleep. I had a big spike in my tinnitus possibly from the Motrin. I read somewhere that Nsaids can cause symptoms to worsen with both of these conditions. I grabbed Motrin though because my face was throbbing in pain from most likely trying to pop and clear my ears all day.

Hope that your drive helps ease some of the pain.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #73
    Jenmomof2
    (female)

Loopyluci-
    Oh my gosh! That OCD ear popping thing is me too! I just keep thinking that if I pop them enough the full feeling will go away! I try not to do it so much but it's becoming a nasty habit. I wonder if that's what's been causing my extra pain/ headaches lately. I have read about drug ototoxicity too. The list of potentially ototoxic drugs is so long it's scary. I have tried to avoid these meds at all costs, but broke down today and took the motrin. It feels like a burning maybe nerve related pain, so i did the motrin out of desperation. I don't think it helped much. I feel so bad for complaining about my ear symptoms so much when I hear about you guys who have that nasty tinnitus in addition to your ear symptoms. I just have ear stuffiness (constantly on the left side, intermittent on the right) and the searing burning pain that I get sometimes. It is very disturbing to just deal with those symptoms daily. I will definitely try doing Tylenol for the really nasty pain, and I usually just do heat for the low grade pain. Our drive ended up making me feel a bit better, so I think I will end up doing some heat treatment before bed tonite, and resting in the meantime, though rest is very VERY boring to me. I hope I will be searing pain/headache free by tomorrow, as I have to go back to work this week. The stuffiness I guess I will have to learn to get used to even though I pretty much don't want to. I appreciate the advice and hope u and everyone else here has had a good day and will have a restful night!
    Jen

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #74
    jenni9033
    (female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Another OCD ear popper here. Dr. Poe indicated that it was okay for me to exercise the tubes from time to time through the day (after ETD happened I learned to open my e-tubes voluntarily by using a muscle in the back of my palate). He did say that it was possible for me to pop my tubes open too much and have the muscles controlling them go into spasm. That gave me my first patulous experiences...too much ear popping. I'm trying to lay off the popping, and it seems to be helping. There's no way I want to convert this problem into a PET ear.

Do any of you notice after an episode of ear popping that your tinnitus is worse? I do, sometimes. It's like it is stressing out the muscles and distorting my hearing.

I've had two good days in a row...coincidentally, the weather has been perfect here. No rain, clear blue skies, high 70s.

When I feel pain I take 4 200 mg ibuprofen. I find I need the full 1000 mg. I was also told by dentists to take it for bad spells of TMJD.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #75
    LoopyLuci
    (female)

LoopyLuci HB UserLoopyLuci HB User

Jenni,

My tinnitus was soooooo high last night. It started after working and working to clear my ears. Then had the LOUD myoclonus pop in my right ear when I was almost asleep. I have been really reading up on the myoclonus issues, but am quite frankly confused between them. This sounds like my eardrum lets out a really loud snap or pop sound. My startle reflex is so high currently and that just seemed to set things further into motion. I still had not fallen asleep this morning as of 6 am. Did finally manage to get a few hours of rest. Ears have really been full today with lots of ringing. I am thinking that my issues probably started off as normal ETD, but possibly has evolved into a chronic TMJD issue now. I have sat trying to be very deliberate in massaging the sides of my face and keeping my jaw relaxed.

Closed Thread