It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Laryngospasm

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
a1234567
(female)

a1234567 HB User
Laryngospasm

Hoping to find some others who have experienced this. A couple of days ago I woke up at 5am gasping for air. I ran out into my hallway, got my family's attention, and continued to try to breathe. It was probably a full minute before I felt like I got any air in, which was achieved by sticking my head out the window and slightly relaxing (as much "relaxing" as you can do when you can't breathe). I went to the ER and they said it was probably a mucus plug. Went to my allergist next who agreed and told me to continue my allergy meds (antihistamine, nose sprays, neti pot, decongestant). It wasn't until I spoke to someone who experienced something similar that I realized it was a laryngospasm. Neither doctor told me that but once I looked it up it described this scary experience perfectly--30-60 seconds of "dry drowning". And apparently it happens to some people in their sleep, like me. I read that it can be a result of GERD and also seasonal allergies. Has anyone else had this? Did you have it once and then never again, or multiple times? What have you done to avoid it happening again? It was definitely one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me and I'd like to get some more information on it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread