It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

tonsil swollen/painful swallowing/no other symptoms

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
careymarie
(female)

careymarie HB User
tonsil swollen/painful swallowing/no other symptoms

Right, so, I've got a bit of a painful problem and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. My right tonsil is swollen to the point where I can feel it restricting my breathing slightly when I lie down in most positions (i can lie on my back and get at a good "angle", so I'm not really having trouble getting air in, it just feels odd and keeps me awake. It's also extremely painful for me to swallow - most of the time.

If I chew gum and keep myself swallowing a little bit all the time, the pain is a little less, and it's also manageable when I take ibuprofen, which I've been doing regularly for the last several days just to keep it from being excruciating while I'm at work. It's worst when I wake up in the morning.

I have no fever, and basically no other symptoms besides my right ear feeling kind of achy when I swallow (assuming that whole general region is pretty closely connected).

I normally have horrible allergies this time of year, but I'm living in a different climate than I usually do, and I haven't experienced any of the congestion or watery eyes I normally do with my seasonal allergies.

I don't have a day off work for almost a week, and since I've just moved here, I don't have a GP so there will undoubtedly be a long wait to get any kind of appointment anyway - besides which, it's been my experience that as soon as I mention tonsil problems, all my doctors have wanted to give me antibiotics "Just to make sure" - which would be great except 90% of antibiotics I've ever taken have made me severely nauseous. Even that I'd be willing to deal with if it weren't for the fact that my OBGYN has just put me on new birth control, and until I get out of THAT "trial period" and figure out how the birth control is affecting me, I'd rather not throw in more drugs and muck everything up. Besides which, given the complete lack of fever or other symptoms, it seems unlikely to me that it would be bacterial anyway.

So what I'm really wondering is whether anybody else has had any experience with this, whether you know any tips to help minimise the pain and get rid of this thing? Do I just need to keep taking advil and wait it out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread