It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Pulsatile tinnitus

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
aworry
(female)

aworry HB User
Pulsatile tinnitus

Does anyone else suffering ringing in the ears. I have a pulsatile in my left ear and then sometimes in my right ear if I hear a high pitch sound. My ENT has booked me for a MRI in two weeks. I am very nervous about having the MRI. I would appreciate any advice about getting a MRI. As I am very nervous about it. Although I want some answers to what is causing the tinnitus as it is driving me nuts. I am also suffering bad anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Pulsatile tinnitus

Hi,
I also suffer from Tinitus (diagnosed) for many years.
I get ringing bells sounds, humming noises and sounds like the sea. I have had it so long that I have now learned to ignore it or it would drive me crazy.
An MRI Head Scan is nothing to fear, I had one it only takes about 10 mins. The only problem for me was lying flat on my back as I suffer Asthma. The Dr was very understanding and though he is not in the room with you, he's next door and you have an intercom conection where you can speak with him if you have any worries and he can stop the procedure, but honestly it is nothing to fear.
I dont think there is a cure for tinitus but I was told they can mask one sound with another (not sure how its done) but I declined it.
I wish you the best,

Solofelix.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
aworry
(female)

aworry HB User

Thank you for your reply. I just hope I can get through the MRI, as I need to find out what is wrong. The constant worry of this gives me anxiety.

The following user gives a hug of support to aworry:
solofelix (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Dont worry about the MRI scan, I never even gave mine a thought before I had mine and I had never spoke to anyone who had had one.
I just closed my eyes and almost fell asleep. I had had an MRI scan before for my shoulder and was in a much bigger scanner, the one for my ear problem was much smaller.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
jenni9033
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Yeah, I had an MRI scan for my tinnitus (low, droning, humming sound, like a diesel engine idling in the distance). It was no big deal. The worst part was lying still for the 30 minutes...I had to fight the urge to scratch my nose. The machine is loud and makes all kinds of strange sounds, but it's not bad. It's rare that an MRI will turn up something that causes tinnitus, but they have to screen, just to rule rare conditions out.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
aworry
(female)

aworry HB User

Thanks solofelix and jennifleck. Your support helps. Some people tell me I will be ok with the MRI and others say I will need to take diazepam to relax. I really don't want to take the medication.
I can't stand this worry anymore. I fell sick everyday. I just want to feel better.

Closed Thread