It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Still Sick After Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
    Fear N Loathing
    (male)

Fear N Loathing HB User
    Question Still Sick After Tonsillectomy

Hi, thanks for taking time to read this. Ok, last summer, exactly a year ago, I got really sick after a sexual encounter with a woman. She gave me oral sex and we made out, her breath smelt oddly garlicy if that helps at all. Anyways, the next day I immediately had a sore throat, didn't think much of it. Things got worse. I progressively got sicker and sicker. Went to my general doctor, thought it could be strep, maybe even mono, but I tested negative for both.

Here were my symptoms:
    Extreme fatigue (I couldn't leave my house for almost 2 months)
    Lack of appetite (I lost close to 15-20 lbs)
    Red bumps in the back of my throat
    Tonsillitis
    Difficulty breathing (I almost went to the hospital because it was so bad, I couldn't sleep)
    Muscle Weakness
    Change in consciousness (My vision seemed to change, things looked different)
    Depression (I thought I was going to die)
    Increased sensitivity of my skin (When I went outside the sun would burn twice as much and when I'd scratch my skin the feeling would linger much longer than normal)

My doctor gave me some antibiotics, but they did not work. She told me it was probably a virus and that I would just have to wait it out. After the first two hellish months, things got better, but not by much. Every couple days my throat would flare up and my tonsils would swell. My stomach would feel sour and I would feel weak and a strange sensation would creep into my head, kinda like car sickness.

Fast forward to two months ago, I had a tonsillectomy. Everything went fine, no major complications, in and out. After two weeks of suffering I thought I had finally got rid of this terrible sickness.

The tonsillectomy got rid of my diseased tonsils, but it seems like it didn't cure my illness as a whole. I still have small red bumps in the back of throat and have been experiencing strange tingling sensations on the back of my head, almost like having water drip down your head. When my symptoms flare it also seems to effect my mental state as well. I have a harder time concentrating, my thought process becomes cloudy, and just have an overall feeling of uneasiness. My stomach will get sour and my appetite just isn't there. It seems to effect my nose and breathing as well. When I get these flare ups it becomes harder to breath out of my nose and my chest feels tight. When the symptoms start to fade I can feel the air pass through clearly in my nose and my chest feels like it is getting air again. But my throat feels the same no matter what. It doesn't feel painful, but I can definitely feel it almost all the time, like that feeling when you're about to get over a sore throat. My mouth tastes briney as well, with a nasty salty taste that seems to come along with the flares.

I'm seeing my ENT doctor in 2 weeks and just feel totally worn down. I've been through so much and just want an answer to this. I'm 21 years old and I feel like I've been through the ringer of illness and just want to feel carefree again, and healthy. Aside from this illness I live a very healthy life, working out, eating right. Getting my heath back is my top priority.

If anyone else has experienced something similar or even has an idea what this could be, please feel free to share this with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread