It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ear Wax Removal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
    Leegh
    (female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User
    Ear Wax Removal?

I called an ENT's office, and they charge almost $200 for ear wax removal. I've never had ear wax professionally removed before, and was wondering if it indeed makes a big difference. I'm almost certain I have a lot of ear wax, and I've probably been doing everything wrong, as I wear ear plugs, and use Q-tips. Can having it professionally removed help a lot with dry, itching ears, and could a lot of ear wax possibly cause fatique, if it is impacted? If it weren't so expensive I would probably have it done, but if it would be a great thing to have done, I may save the money for it. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
    bradeag
    (female)

bradeag HB User
    Smile Re: Ear Wax Removal?

Hi there, i had my left ear syringed a few years ago, wow was i glad. Id been putting it off, i knew i had a problem as when i washed my hair and the water went in my ear i couldnt hear for a few days then it would clear. Eventually i went to see the nurse, she told me i had a build up of ear wax, she asked me to warm some olive oil and put in my ear for a week to soften the wax before syringing. I put some olive oil in an egg cup and placed the egg cup in some warm water, i then gently poured the oil in my ear a little at a time and sat with my head tilted for a few minutes then slowly sat up. At the end of the week my ear was syringed, some dont like it but i found it ok as warm water was gently syringed in my ear then i heard a thwack in the dish, it looked like a bullet, i live in the uk and i think now its not so much syringing the ear but using suction. When i got back to the car everything sounded loud, i asked my hubby and son not to shout but they were talking normally, the washing machine and tumbler sounded really loud, id been putting up with it so long id got used to it, after a few days i got used to it. The nurse did say that if i experienced any itching in my ear after the wax removal to go back and see her and she would prescribe some cream. Hope this helps. I wouldnt leave it too long as if you get too much wax in your ear it can press up against the eardrum and that can be mighty painful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeag For This Useful Post:
    esker (09-04-2012),Leegh (09-05-2012)
    Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Ear Wax Removal?

I go every six months and the ENT pulls it out with a crochet hook looking instrument. I just pay an insurance co-pay though. I get a horrible build up in my right ear and the OTC methods just clog it worse. So i nake it a habit to go regularly. It would probably be worth it to get it done professionally and know that it was done right...in case it's impacted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Leegh (09-05-2012)
    Closed Thread