It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

should I go to the ER?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ballwin
Posts: 2
reddress82 HB User
should I go to the ER?

I had my adult tonsilectomy early on Monday morning. The doctor said it went really great - they gave me morphine and demerol through my IV, then I took oral vicodin. I was still in pain, but it was controlled. The first day or so, the pain wasn't all that bad. I was in bed a lot, but I was still up somewhat, too. He had me on Vicodin 5/500 every 4 hours. He also had me drinking 60 ounces of water and eating meals even on the first day.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in severe pain and the medicine just wasn't working and I wasn't able to talk barely. I wasn't able to call my surgeon, but I had an e-mail for my pcp so i contacted her. she gave me a prescription for percocet 5/325 to last me until the pain gets a little better, and i can switch back to the vicodin.

That brings us to today, the percocet works for a couple hours and then i'm in way worse pain. i've been in bed sleeping all day and i wake up when my med alarm goes off, and it just hurts so bad. I'm barely able to get my pill down. (my surgeon insisted on pills, not liquid. he wouldn't negotiate this) I also am only able to get down a couple sips of water and only a tiny little bit t eat. I just wonder if I need to have someone call my surgeon for me, or even go to the ER. I don't appear to have any bleeding, I just can't get anything down (worried about dehydration) and I'm in a lot of pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: marion
Posts: 2
crosstitchgirl HB User
Re: should I go to the ER?

If i was you I would go back to er or have someone at least call the er and ask if you should come in . , since it has been a few days and no one gave you an answer which sucks I am sure you have done decided on what to do . let us know with an update . hugs

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 19,270
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: should I go to the ER?

Pain after tonsillectomy is usually worse around days 5-9 so you are getting right in that window. So it does sound normal to me. If you can get hold of your doctor, ask for a scrip for the lidocaine gel gargle. It will help.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Junior Member
at282000's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
at282000 HB User
Re: should I go to the ER?

I'd put a warm mist humidifier in the room you sleep in. Sounds like you are breathing through your mouth. You may also be snoring because of the swelling. Try sleeping on your side. Finally put ice packs on your neck. I used rice in a tube sock and froze it.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!