It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• trouble swallowing food, stuck & hard to get down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User
    trouble swallowing food, stuck & hard to get down

Hi.
    For a couple of months now I've noticed issues with swallowing.when I chew my food &swallow I get small bits of it stay in my throat.this causes a very unpleasant feeling & often gagging until the food either goes down or I cough it up.
    When I eat it is very hard to make a bolus of food, as most often my tongue can't seem to stop food just 'leaking'down my throat, often not fully chewed.
    This coupled with the feeling of food left in my throat afterwards,&some gagging, is making me very reluctant to eat &I am worried obviously.
    I went to the gp who had a look,& said he thought it was a pouch holding onto food when I swallow & if its not gone in 6Weeks he would refer for a camera to see what is going on..I would have thought a barium swallow might be what I need?
    Any ideas at all, or similar experiences would be interesting.

Thankyou for reading.
    Z

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
    mike580
    (male)

mike580 HB User
    Re: trouble swallowing food, stuck & hard to get down

I have had something similair in the past. You mention your throat, I would describe my issue as further down my esophogus, more of a feeling in my upper chest.

A number of years ago i experienced food getting "stuck" in my throat (esophogus) during dinner out with friends. Wouldnt go down. Had to excuse myself, went to the bathroom and up it came. At first didnt think much of it but notice it occured a few more times randomly over the next few weeks. I eventually went to my doxtor and was referred to an ENT. He did what was called an upper endoscopy on me and found that scar tissue had built up in my esophogus to the point where in the particular area it was only open about the size of a nut, whereas it should be more like a quarter or half dollar. He attributed this to regular acid reflux (which had been an issue in my past).

It was corrected by an outpatient procedure where i went in to the hospital, was sedated slightly, and he literaly takes a rubber hose and essentialy slides it down your throat to "break" up the scar tissue, opening up your esophogus. Sounds worse or more invasive than it was. It worked. After that no more issues.

I would also mention that it was indicated (and accurately for me personally also) by my doctor that things such as bread and beef especially were things that seemed to cause more problems than others. Dont know if any of this has helped or if your still checking this thread. It looks like you posted this a bit ago

Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User

Hi, thankyou for the reply.I am indeed checking still!
    I am on some tablets to see if its related to gerd, there is quite a bit if improvement so maybe the doc has found the trouble, we will see, its only been 4 days on the tablets.I'm pleased that you are sorted, its a terrible feeling.
    Z

Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
    mike580
    (male)

mike580 HB User

If by gerd you mean reflux or acid regurgatation, then yes maybe that is accuratem as it is as I described what lead to my issue. I cant speak for you personally, but for me i did have the refluc, or gerd as you say, but that was only an underlying condition, which led to the larger issue of the restricted esophogus.

You may relieve some relief short term from tablets you are on for gerd, but if the problem of the gerd has led to where mine had, a larger issue with the esophogus and the scar tissue "narrowing" it making it more difficult to swallow, the tablets alone are not going to fix the problem. Hopefully yours is less serious than mine and thats all you will have to do. But i would be alert of my own responsiveness to the tablets. None of those are suggested to be taken indefinitely. You may stop them after a few weeks and have the same problem again. Of course I'm hoping this is not the case and the tablets are enough for you. Best wishes

Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User

Thankyou,I understand that I may just be removing one factor by taking the tablets, but at least it is a start.I may have to have a procedure such as you did, but we will see.one step at a time!
    The difference after taking them for just 4 days is amazing,I was so miserable before, at least if the problem comes back after the tablets finish I know there is another treatment which may help.
    Thankyou for your time & responses,I appreciate it.
    Zarla

Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User

Well, I've been on the tablets for reflux for16 days & there is a marked improvement, no doubt.I can eat without fear &I don't avoid certain foods any more.
    But...
    I am still getting little tiny bits stuck, they stay there til I can get them up or wash them down. So,I will go back to the doctor & see what is suggested.
    I am still thinking it is related to gerd, or maybe even to my thyroid condition, which may be trickier to short out!
    Hi hum, one step at a time!
    ;-)

Closed Thread