It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Tonsil Stones?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Silvia046
(male)

Silvia046 HB User
Tonsil Stones?

Hi, I am a bad breath sufferer for a while now (that I know of) and I recently found out that I have what I believe are called tonsil stones. I have rather small tonsils (according to my ENT) and I sometimes used to see white spots in the crevasses/holes. I am now on the daily habit of gargling with warm salt water every morning after brushing and again before bed, also after brushing (since around October 2012). At first, I was gargling out a few of these things every 2-3 days. Now I don't really get them anymore, (maybe a few small bits once/twice a week) which should be good... BUT my bad breath is still present.

My question is, has my tonsil stone problem been resolved/controlled? and that something else is causing my breath problems? or is it that they are still there but hiding deeper down in the holes? Any ideas on how to remove the deeper ones?

The stones I removed were really small, but I did get 2 large ones (like the size of 5 small ones...) and now i rarely ever see any white bits in my tonsils. I brush twice daily including the tongue, floss once. My tongue is generally pink, I do get a little bit of clear post nasal drip but I can't think of any other slightly health related problems outside that. No issues with reflux that I am aware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
aefef
(male)

aefef HB User
Re: Tonsil Stones?

Look, bad breath and tonsil stones are definetely related. Doctors don't like to admit it, because doctors usually care most about important or relevant illnesses...they don't like to treat or care about small troubles that only cause a cosmetic/social issue.

The best advice i always give to people who have tonsil stones is to get totally rid of them: that is, having a tonsillectomy. Tonsil stones are not only located on the surface, but they usually go deep inside...

You should always consider a good doctor and a good hospital, of course.

This is just my advice...but i understand not everyone is willing to undergo a tonsillectomy...you should consider age, or how much you care about bad breath, etc...

BTW, natural remedies don't work, and if they work, it's only temporal. The stones will come out again and again.

Last edited by aefef; 01-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
adpace
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
Re: Tonsil Stones?

It could be either. Your bad breath could be caused by something else completely or the tonsil stones. And, the other poster is correct in saying that just because you can't see them, doesn't mean you don't have them. They can get imbedded deep inside your tonsils. I had HUGE stones before I had my tonsillectomy - I'm talking nearly the size of a dime (or at least they would be if you flattened them out). But, I doubt very many doctors out there would do a tonsillectomy for tonsil stones alone, especially if you have rather small tonsils that are rarely ever infected (i.e. strep).

Good luck to you in finding a way to deal with the bad breath. If it is sufficiently annoying, you may want to see a doctor to see if something else might be causing it. I know there are some stomach issues, etc., that can cause it as well. Otherwise, chewing gum and/or mints may just be a way of life for you. Hopefully it will go away on its own eventually.

Closed Thread

Tags
tonsil stones