It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

6 days in... and trying not to count

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 2
Orion81 HB User
Lightbulb 6 days in... and trying not to count


I first had my tonsils removed in 1988 age 7 but I had tonsil remnants that remained on the left side. Earlier this year I got admitted to hospital for about 5 nights with a severe fever that no drugs, drips or time could kick, coupled with the fact that my throat was burning up and my blood readings were abnormally high. It was either glandular fever / mono or some other nasty virus but the tonsil remnants on the left throat wall grew a lump since January and when I visited ENT I was advised to have all the remaining, and growing tissue removed to clean up the area. I also had an additional base of tongue biopsy to establish any underlying issues.

I COMPLETELY underestimated the operation, thinking that they would just remove the small remaining tissue. How wrong I was. I woke up and the nurse was only just beginning to control the bleeding. I felt sore, but begged her to squeeze the IV morphine and she practically emptied half of it in a couple of minutes, much to my relief. I didn't sleep though, despite wanting to as the morphine was so strong.

About three hours later I managed a nice biscuit and a cup of luke warm tea which worked a treat, again, underestimating what was to come.
I don't know if it's because of the mixed procedure of having secondary tonsill tissue / remnants removed and the base of tongue biopsy, but I have had a terrible experience with the pain and swelling.

The morphine was obviously still at work in the morning when I woke up and then I dosed on paracetamol and ibuprofen straight away so I was feeling optimistic enough to be discharged.

Later that day I had a sleep, thinking to myself that it would all be a breeze. I woke up and the meds had completely worn off. My ears and eustation tubes had swollen up and my entire throat and neck throbbed in pain. Managing to make it to the bathroom I noticed that not just my tonsil area at the back had been sliced but also the left side of the throat, and the bottom left of my tongue had a chunk out of it. It's nothing compared to many cancer ops but still I'm now on day 6/7 and it has been pure hell.

My throat seems to seize up violently when I try to swallow, the raw tissue from the tissue STINGS to the point that nothing - not water, not icecream, not food, not warm drinks seems to work. The only thing that is giving me hope at the moment is my amazing woman and my little lad. I think that patients should be given as much advice and literature as possible about post op, including these forums as they have been a lifeline to me, just to illustrate that you're not alone and other people have gone through similar, and worse.

Hats off to all those who have lived to tell the tale! Peace.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Closed Thread

tonsillectomy post op

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!