It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

After tonsillectomy recovery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
emma96
(female)

emma96 HB User
Unhappy After tonsillectomy recovery

Hi all,
So I'm 17 and I've recently gotten my tonsils out last Friday, so I'm on the 6th day of recovery. Days 4 and 5 were my worst days for pain and it's been tolerable as of today! The one thing that's irritating me is the constant mucus which fills my mouth! It's disgusting! And it tastes the worst. I've been spitting it out constantly but I read that I shouldn't. Does anyone have advice on that?
I've tried to just swallow it but that's just made me nauseous so I end up spitting it up again.
The scabbing began on both sides yesterday but it's not completely off and I can feel it dangling in my throat. Any advice on how long this will last and how long the mucus with stay in my mouth?
It's the mucus that gets to me most; it's absolutely disgusting.
- Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Umbra919
(female)

Umbra919 HB User
Re: After tonsillectomy recovery

Hi Emma! I just got my tonsils taken out on Tuesday. I had to stay over night in the hospital due to having sleep apnea. I was released yesterday so I'm on my third day and I just have to know, was it extremely painful around the third/fourth day? My tongue is swollen and I'm barely sleeping. Maybe getting 2 hours of sleep a night and when I do I'm apparently gurgling while sleeping that's keeping my husband up. It's stressful. I can barely drink or "sip" water. My tongue is white for reasons I don't know about. And I brush my teeth but it's just not clearing up. I'm wondering if it's the sorta what you went through and what you are eating and if your able to eat regular food now. I'm in so much pain that I'm stressed out.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
emma96
(female)

emma96 HB User

Hey,
Getting my tonsils out was torturous and probably the worst pain I've been through! Days 4 and 5 were the worst for me! Although I didn't have a swollen tongue like you do! That must be bad. I found that eating/drinking was very hard to do but I forced myself to eat atleast a slice of toast in the morning and then custard, jelly or ice-cream throughout the day.
The first and second day was a breeze for me though. The pain meds worked wonders and I was able to eat fine with only minor pain. I did stop taking them on the third day which is why from then on I think I was at my worst.
With the white stuff on your tongue, I know how uncomfortable and disgusting it feels but the only thing that helped with that was when I brushed my teeth, I brushed my tongue. And it would last for about an hour or so until it felt yuck again. So unfortunately there's not much you can do there.
But do try and drink as much water as possible! Even coke or any fizzy drink helped heaps!
Today marks exactly 2 weeks for me and I'm practically back to normal! After the 5th-6th day you'll start noticing yourself improving each day! My 10th day was my best day after everything! (Until now of course)
But on the 8th and 9th day my throat started bleeding at around 10pm, so mum took me to the emergency. After the doctor had a look he gave me some ice cream and told me to go home and advised to eat ice cream if it happened again. It happened twice the next night but I just did as he said and ate ice cream and it stopped. The nurse said the 9th and 10th day is the most common days for bleeding because they are the last days until you properly start healing.

So head up and battle through it! Because although it may seem like hell it'll all be over soon and you'll be back to normal!
Goodluck xx

Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
emma96
(female)

emma96 HB User

Also, my scabs fell off pretty quick. It was the 4th day when they fell off! I think I'm just a quick healer!

Last edited by emma96; 04-11-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
mucus, recovery, scabs, tonsillectomy