It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• virus in back of throat, never ending? plus 1 swollen gland..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
    kiwinz
    (male)

kiwinz HB User
    Unhappy virus in back of throat, never ending? plus 1 swollen gland..

I'm not really sure how long I've had this because it's not sore or anything. I did have a left swollen gland in my upper neck under the back jaw about 8 months ago. Docs poked and prodded, i had an ultrasound done and they just said it was inflamed. I think it went down a bit later on but the last couple months it's returned. I went back to the doc, they had a good feel, then said I had a viral infection in the very back of my throat, probably linked to the gland issue. I had a CBC and FBC blood test both came back perfect. They told me to take it easy and come back in a few weeks if it's not better. Since I've probably had this for moonths I can't see what a few weeks is going to do. It's been a week and no change at all. It's the very back of my throat, sort of a cluster of raised and red vertical stripes, a bit angry looking. I have been eating well and not exercising as much (I usually jog 6 days a week). I've been eating copious amounts of raw garlic and raw garlic/ginger tea. Nothing seems to phase it grrr. I have heard people on here dealing with these sort of things for months. Has anyone found a supplement or anything that can attack viruses like this? Raw garlic usually always works for me but not this time. The gland is somewhat annoying as I can feel it now. It's not hugely noticeable when my head is in a normal position but very noticeable if I put my chin down towards my chest. I guess all I can do is wait one more week then go to the doc. I don't like taking drugs but maybe I should take something to see if it helps the inflamed gland (ibuprophen?). Thanks!

P.S. I also suffer from allergies and sinus so am a 'mouth breather'. It's winter here and our houses uses heat pumps (which tend to dry out the air). I wonder if this dry air and mouth breathing all night is part of the problem. I tried a humidifier once but it kept me up with all the dripping, this was even one claimed to be silent. I am forcing myself to breathe through my nose during the day but can't seem to do this while sleeping. I wake up with bone dry mouth. hmm.. :/

Last edited by kiwinz; 04-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: virus in back of throat, never ending? plus 1 swollen gland..

Try Breathe Right nasal strips at bed time. They work great! I can't get thru the winter without them

Closed Thread