It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Feels like something is stuck in my throat. How can I get rid of it?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
MrHygenic
(male)

MrHygenic HB User
Feels like something is stuck in my throat. How can I get rid of it?

Hello. I'm a 21 year old male, and I've been battling this issue since age 18. Here's what's been going on.

One day around fall/winter time I think it was, I was clearing my nasal passages of mucus by spitting it out, when all of a sudden, as I was "snorting/sniffing" to spit the mucus out, it felt like a crusty piece of mucus got lodged in my throat. I tried hacking it up to for nearly 2 hours that day in an attempt to clear my throat, with little to no avail. Every day now since this happened, I've woken up in the morning having to hack up thick, stringy mucus, fearing that if I swallowed any, it would add to what's already lodged in my throat.

Sometimes when I wake up, I accidentally swallow some, which has added to it it over the years. Sometimes when I wake up, the "thing" in my throat feels crusty and irritating, as if it were dried out from breathing throughout my sleep. I've also had to constantly hack up and spit out the mucus throughout the day. I'm concerned because I don't want there to be an infection, plus this is really annoying. I've searched the web so many times trying to pinpoint what this is, but I've only found people going through similar symptoms, and not the exact same thing.

I considered tonsillitis, but that would only involve tonsil stones, right? I don't think I've ever had my tonsils taken out. Yet, when I look in the mirror, I don't even see them there. Could I have swallowed them, and they got lodged into my throat? If so, has anyone swallowed theirs and could give me advice as to how to get them out of my throat?

What exactly is this, and how can I get rid of it? Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
mucus, stuck, throat