It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Laser Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
    Wicks
    (female)

Wicks HB User
    Talking Laser Tonsillectomy

Hi,

I would like to share my experience with the laser tonsil reduction procedure.
    I am 32 years old with small tonsils with crypts. I have been suffering from constant sore throat, BB, tonsil stones, fever since the past three years.

I discarded the traditional tonsillectomy option as I have heard that its very painful in adults with increased risk of postoperative bleeding and the recovery takes 2weeks to sometimes a month. Instead I opted for laser aided tonsil reduction.

My ENT gave me a prompt appointment and I had the procedure done yesterday.
    After the anaesthetic spray to the back of my throat that somewhat stinged, the ENT fired around 3 rounds of laser to each of my tonsils.Even though the anaesthetic had numbed my throat, there was a burning pain when the laser went deeper.

The whole procedure was completed in 15 minutes and the ENT informed me that he has reduced both my tonsils as much as possible. The tonsillar area looked black and charred. I had slight difficulty swallowing but it was not that bad as expected.

I returned home in the evening and gargled with difflam mouthwash and took one painkiller around 7 pm when the pain built up. Still a 2 out of a scale of 10.

Day 1 (today): Woke up this morning, feeling much better. My throat has started sloughing and I can see white coating where it was lasered. Pain 2 out of 10. Gargled again but didn't need to take a painkiller.
    I have a funny taste in the back of the mouth and the gargle is not helping.

Off to have some lentil soup and veggies for lunch. I have 6 days of sick leave from work to recover, so drinking lots of liquids and mashed food & soup to get well soon.
    I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Note: I have read that partial tonsil reduction may not solve the problems completely. But I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I am not one of the rare cases who has to go for a complete tonsillectomy after all this. I have a follow up appointment with the ENT a month later. wish me good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
    Wicks
    (female)

Wicks HB User
    Re: Laser Tonsillectomy

Day 3 : Mild pain in the throat like a sore throat. The throat doesn't pain as much when I swallow like Day 1 and Day 2.

The scabs seems to have thickened and permanently settled in where my tonsils were lasered. I have read that it stings when the scabs come off. Lets wait and watch.

I am still sticking to oatmeal, soups and semisolid food. I ate a bit of spiced vegetables on Day 2 and it burnt my throat so I am not experimenting anymore.

Difflam gargle in regular intervals continues and it soothes my throat.There has been no need to take any painkillers.so far so good.

It hasn't been bad at all so far. But I am hoping that these days will pass quickly and I can see my throat back to normal pink soon and ready to feast.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
    Wicks
    (female)

Wicks HB User

Its been 8 months since laser tonsillectomy. Last week i found a huge tonsil stone on my left tonsil. Complete despair, i went through the pain of laser surgery for nothing.
    The symptoms are back and i really want a permanent solution.
    I will not recommend lasering your tonsils as it does not seem to work and gives false hope.

Last edited by Wicks; 04-17-2015 at 11:57 PM.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
    braedyn
    (female)

braedyn HB User

You should look into tissue welding (aka thermal welding) tonsillectomy. Not many surgeons perform it, but I contacted the manufacturer of the device used and they recommended am awesome ENT. I'm currently on day 5 and am only using extra strength Tylenol for pain. It's not without pain and discomfort, but the experience has been NOTHING like what those who have had traditional tonsillectomies describe and the risk for post-operative bleeding is practically nil.

Closed Thread

Tags
    laser, tonsil, tonsil stones, tonsilectomy, tonsillectomy advice