It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Uvula & tonsilectomy @ age 44

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
    mndstanhope
    (female)

mndstanhope HB User
    Uvula & tonsilectomy @ age 44

Well, for months now I have had the sensation of something stuck down in my throat. Having gone to 1 ENT & getting absolutely no answers, I went to another yesterday. I had 2 reasons for going. The sensation of a peanut being stuck in my throat, & because about 2 months ago, I was so ticked off about that constant need to swallow to try to get whatever was stuck, down.... that I looked in the mirror, took & tongue depressor, & was getting ready to stick whatever I needed to down there and scrape it out! When I looked in the mirror and stuck out my tongue, I noticed very quickly that there were huge swollen taste buds on my tongue! I knew that that is what was down there making me feel like I had a peanut stuck! So... back to my story on the ENT yesterday. After numbing me with some spray down my nasal passages, he put a flexible scope down my nose and into my throat. When he was finished, he had concluded that I do not have any cysts (really good news), but that my uvula is long enough now following years of sinus problems, and constant swallowing over the last several months to rid this sensation of something in my throat..... that it needs to come out. Apparently, that is one reason that the taste buds are staying inflamed all the time (and the reason that I snore and wake up @ times snorting). Because I have also developed tonsil stones, though not severe, I also need the tonsils removed because they area keeping me with a mild infection and my throat is always inflamed (but not sore). I do have some pretty bad problems with my ears & have since childhood. He also thinks that this will assist me with some relief of those symptoms. I know that I am going to hurt... A LOT. My main concern isn't the pain. The main concern for me is this whole thing of having the Uvula removed. I have heard that my voice with be weird, that I will have trouble swallowing (even a year after surgery), that my sinus drainage with actually be worse, & that I will choke on solid foods! If this is the truth, why would I want to do this?! Does anyone have any positives to share???????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Uvula & tonsilectomy @ age 44

Don't they just shorten the uvula? I've not heard of removing it like this.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
    mndstanhope
    (female)

mndstanhope HB User
    Re: Uvula & tonsilectomy @ age 44

There is a process to remove only a portion of the uvula. However, in my case, it will be completely removed, & most likely along with the adenoids. Tonsils are coming out also. If u go online, u can see & read many thing involving the complete removal of the uvula. In most cases it is removed because of sleep apnea (obstructive sleep apnea). Mine isn't being removed for this purpose but because mine rests on my tongue and keeps the base of my tongue and taste buds enlarged and also because I swollen a portion of the uvula when I swallow, which I do very frequently because I constantly feel as though I have some object lodged in my throat (due to the swollen taste buds). It's just very annoying & I cannot see me spending the rest of my life like this.

Closed Thread

Tags
    removal, tonsil stones, uvula