It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Allergies/sinuses ... is this normal???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
    kv880
    (female)

kv880 HB User
    Allergies/sinuses ... is this normal???

Hi everyone. Some background...25 year old female and healthy. I have been struggling with ongoing allergy/sinus issues for about three years now. My sinuses reached a point to where I was getting chronic sinus infections; my seasonal allergies made me feel sick all the time (post nasal drip, sinus pressure, tired). I got sinus surgery one month ago to relieve these symptoms (sinuplasty, septoplasty, turbinate reduction), and a tonsillectomy a couple years ago.

Now some backstory...I have had blood tests, allergy tests, etc. I have tried otc allergy pills, which dont work. I use the neti pot daily, as well as Flonase and Astelin. I have also been getting allergy shots for over a year. Lastly, I have been on tons of antibiotics and steroids over the last couple years.

Here's my issue...over the past week, there have been 3 days in which I've felt SICK. I've had a sore throat (not too bad, but still very irritable) from post nasal drip, some head pressure, and lethargia, even with 8+ hours of sleep. I've even felt feverish at times. These symptoms come and go in severity throughout the day, but haven't gotten extreme. They are still bad enough to make me feel cruddy, and prevent me from participating in my regular activities. I've been suffering from allergies/sinuses for a long time, but this is still happening after my surgery. I just want to know if this is normal, or if I'm being babyish about things. People have told me that sometimes you just need to learn to deal with allergies, and need to learn how to handle them. But do my symptoms sound normal? Is it something I just need to learn to deal with? Or is this a little abnormal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Allergies/sinuses ... is this normal???

It sounds normal depending on the weather and what's growing now in your area. I don't know what meds you are on but i do know that you can take 2 zyrtec a day in cases like this ( one AM and one PM). It normally brings my allergies under control in a couple of days.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

I had sinus surgery in early November, 2012. The week before Christmas, I started feeling sick...just what you are describing, called the ENT and he prescribed a nasal rinse that contained an antibiotic. Once that was finished, I was fine. I think I wasn't quite healed and caught a cold from one of my grandkids, and it went into an infection. I've been fine since then. Don't let it go, call your doctor. The sooner you start treating an infection, the quicker you'll be well.

Bea

Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
    kv880
    (female)

kv880 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    It sounds normal depending on the weather and what's growing now in your area. I don't know what meds you are on but i do know that you can take 2 zyrtec a day in cases like this ( one AM and one PM). It normally brings my allergies under control in a couple of days.
    I have been taking Allegra, but it doesn't help. I also use the neti pot daily, and flonase. I just haven't found relief for when I don't feel well...nothing seems to work. When my allergies attack, I'm always questioning whether I'm sick or not; thats how bad they get. I'm just wondering if this is something I should learn to deal with in my life, or if I should seek more help.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Try something besides the Allegra. All antihistamines don't work for everyone. And they can stop working for some as well. I'd switch to zyrtec (OTC and very cheap) and try one in the AM and one in the PM for a few days. You should not have to suffer like this if it is truly allergy driven.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
    kv880
    (female)

kv880 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Try something besides the Allegra. All antihistamines don't work for everyone. And they can stop working for some as well. I'd switch to zyrtec (OTC and very cheap) and try one in the AM and one in the PM for a few days. You should not have to suffer like this if it is truly allergy driven.
    I've tried pretty much all other antihistamines
    Went to the allergist today...he said it's a cold, and doesn't know if it was triggered by allergies, or vice versa. I called my ENT to see if she wants to see me, but I'm still waiting on a reply. Hopefully I don't get sick again soon, like I was before surgery...I was getting sick every couple months.

Last edited by kv880; 09-16-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

For a cold you might try Alka Seltzer Plus for colds. It works great for me.

Closed Thread