It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Alternatives after ENT doc no help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
kimberleyb
(female)

kimberleyb HB User
Question Alternatives after ENT doc no help?

Hi all,

I had a severe sinus infection and inner ear inflammation a few years ago. It took 4 months to get over the initial infection (normal prescription sinus sprays (Flixonase, nasofen) did nothing much except give me a headache, but after 4 courses of antibitoics, naproxen and eventually ephedrene and prednisone (sp?) it cleared, then it took me another 5 months to get over the ensuing vertigo and re-learn to walk.

Every time I've had a cold I get a touch of vertigo and unpleasant sinus headaches and fullness in the ears. I was basically told by ENT to get used to it - I had an MRI scan and it showed I have narrow sinuses, which mean they don't drain well. I asked about surgery, but ENT said it doesn't help most people. He said the vertigo won't ever get as bad as the first episode.

So I've had a few colds, coupled with inflamed sinuses etc but now I've just got over another minor sniffle, and the vertigo and inflammation is really bad. I don't think I have an infection because there is no "gunk" - if I have a hot shower, I can release a tiny bit of nasal fluid - it's just bits of white mucus. But I have an extreme sinus headache, fullness in the ears, and vertigo. It's been about 2 weeks now.

I see little point in going back to the doctor because they are unlikely to say much apart from to wait until it clears, use useless nasal sprays etc. Right now I'm sitting here having done a nasal saline rinse, decongestant spray, 2 x naproxen, and buccastem to stop me feeling as nauseous. Still in pain and major discomfort.

I can see this is going to be an ongoing problem for me. I was wondering if anyone had tried anything else that helps with ongoing sinus/vestibular/vertigo problems that I haven't already tried? Should I try to get a second opinion on an operation? I am open to alternative remedies at this point too.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions for treating the problem now, and to prevent it happening in future if possible. I eat very healthily, take vitamins etc. I'm not sure what else I can do. Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Alternatives after ENT doc no help?

Well, you don't say so I don't know if you've had allergy testing. If not, a trip to an allergist would be the first thing so you can find out if this is allergic or non allergic rhinitis. If allergic then you can follow any recommendations for that - meds or injections. If you've done this then what was the dx?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
kimberleyb
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I doubt it's allergies as I have bad hayfever and was on a very strong prescription medication for that (fexofenadine) and I've still got sick despite it. Following the MRI, the doc basically said it's because I have very narrow sinuses that don't drain well

K

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Fexofenadine is not scrip here - it's OTC - and it's not very effective for some. Have you tried zyrtec? (reactine or cetirizine overseas) And if you are bad enough that you need a scrip antihistamines, allergy shots might work better. At any rate, I'd try a change in allergy meds and see how that goes. If it doesn't improve theings, then I'd see about a second opinion on the surgery

Old 10-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
kimberleyb
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Hya,

I did actually find the Fexofenadine good for my hayfever when nothing else had worked. It also sorted out my slight allergy to my own cat! I don't use it all year round but I was using it on two occasions when I got sinusitis.

I don't know why the ENT doc was so against surgery - it was NHS though, not private. He just said it rarely helps that much. TBH I never feel like they've taken this seriously. Maybe time to go private...

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

If it doesn't help much then i can see why he wouldn't be that enthusiastic about it. Sounds like a doctor who wants to do the right thing. I don't know if you can do this on NHS but can you see an allergist/immunologist in addition to the ENT? If so, I'd go there. ENTs tend to be more for structual issues and allergist/immunologist for allergies or systemic issues.

Closed Thread

Tags
ent, inner ear disorder, sinus, vertigo, vestibular disorders