It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Tonsillectomy for Teenagers

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
amyjg
(female)

amyjg HB User
Exclamation Tonsillectomy for Teenagers

So I dont really have a bad history with tonsillitis, but when I had tonsillitis in the June of 2014, my left tonsil wouldn't go down. I went to the doctors, who prescribed me numerous batches of antibiotics, but it still wouldn't go down. So I agreed to having them taken out on the 16th January 2015.

As I had my operation late afternoon, I can't really remember the pain I experienced that night as I was still slightly under general anaesthetic. But it all started from the next day, which was a Saturday. I couldn't talk, and all I could eat was noodles & yoghurt. Sleeping was a chore, as the pain was so unbearable it would wake me up a few times every hour.

Day 2- I attempted to eat chicken, that was a no go. They tell you to eat your normal diet because you have ulcers in the back of your throat from the tonsillectomy that you need to clear away. I'm not putting myself through the pain of what feels like swallowing razor blades to clear them. They gave me tramadol, which is a strong painkiller that makes you feel like a zombie so I can hardly remember the first few days as I highly dosed myself up with them.

Day 3- By this day I was crying regularly, as coughing, laughing, talking, eating, drinking... Felt like I had a knife stuck in my throat. Thank god for Netflix, otherwise I don't know what I would have done. The pain is getting worse.

Day 4- I went to my dads as my mum had to go back to work.. It seems that in the morning / early afternoon the pain is bearable but it just hits you like a truck at night. This night was the worst night. I woke up feeling faint because of the pain at 3 in the morning. I went to take my medication, but then I lost my vision and my hearing. All I could hear was a buzzing like a television with no signal, and my hands and legs turned numb.. I was scared that I was going to faint.

It is now Day 5, and I can say hand on heart that I have never been in so much pain in my entire life, and that this week has been horrible. Many people take their throats for granted, but we use it to talk, eat, drink... And now everyday it's an effort to do all of those things. I've almost lost half a stone as it seems all I can eat is noodles. I have no energy as I'm hardly eating, and the ear pain is as unbearable as the throat pain.

To be honest, I regret having a tonsillectomy.. I'm not trying to put anyone off, as people have different pain thresholds but if you are about to have a tonsillectomy then please be prepared, as I wasnt. I was just told it would feel like having tonsillitis... And trust me it's worse then that!!! I'm hoping to get back to school next week as its my most important year, but if I'm in this pain I highly doubt I will...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
teenagers, tonsillectomy, tonsillectomy post op, tonsillectomy surgery, tonsillitis