It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Trouble swallowing.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
    JoMo79
    (male)

JoMo79 HB User
    Red face Trouble swallowing.

Hi,

I have had problems swallowing my food for about 18 months.
    It first happened when I was 18 while going through a tough period of anxiety - but went away after a few months.
    Now I am 35 and seems that a stressful period last year has brought back the problem. I spit the food out sometimes because I can't get my self to swallow it. It feels like the reflex for swallowing has gone. It is worse if I don't get enough sleep or if I have a stressful day.

Does anyone else have this issue? Have you found a solution?

JoMo79

The following user gives a hug of support to JoMo79:
    posey70 (02-16-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
    posey70
    (female)

posey70 HB User
    Re: Trouble swallowing.

Yes I also experience this problem. I will often need to take small bites and have something to chase it with. When I'm in a public setting eating it is 10 times more intense so I believe it's anxiety is the culprit. I also will get bouts o excessive swallowing and feelings of chocking even when not eating. I normally experience this feeling daily and it really is scary. I don't have a lot of advise to help because I have to take a nerve pill to make it go away. I don't recommend this however if you don't take anything for it's only a crutch and I'm trying to find new ways to cope. I recently have thought of trying meditation. I'm told that you can learn to unlearn some of these habits that have came on me from panic attacks and having an anxiety disorder. Best of luck and just know you're not alone and I feel your pain.

Last edited by posey70; 02-15-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
    JoMo79
    (male)

JoMo79 HB User

Hi posey70!
    I relate to everything you have written. I am not taking anything for it at the moment as the doctors can't find anything wrong with me. I have checked my thyroid gland, heart, throat etc. They also seem to think it's the anxiety disorder that's causing it. Meditation does help sometimes so I will also need to make time for it more often. Good luck in future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by posey70 View Post
    Yes I also experience this problem. I will often need to take small bites and have something to chase it with. When I'm in a public setting eating it is 10 times more intense so I believe it's anxiety is the culprit. I also will get bouts o excessive swallowing and feelings of chocking even when not eating. I normally experience this feeling daily and it really is scary. I don't have a lot of advise to help because I have to take a nerve pill to make it go away. I don't recommend this however if you don't take anything for it's only a crutch and I'm trying to find new ways to cope. I recently have thought of trying meditation. I'm told that you can learn to unlearn some of these habits that have came on me from panic attacks and having an anxiety disorder. Best of luck and just know you're not alone and I feel your pain.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
    GulfCoaster
    (female)

GulfCoaster HB User

It sounds very similar to what I have and I was diagnosed with Cricopharyngeal Hypertrophy - a dysfunction of that muscle in the throat. Anxiety definitely makes it worse, as does being tired. I do Mindfulness Meditation and it has helped a lot.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
    JoMo79
    (male)

JoMo79 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Trouble swallowing.

Hi GulfCoaster

Thanks for your message. Meditation and exercise definitely help. Nothing else seems to work so I think this is going to be for life.
    I wish you all the best.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
    GulfCoaster
    (female)

GulfCoaster HB User

Thanks JoMo. Yes, it is probably for life but I found that once I had a definitive answer, and correct diagnosis after being incorrectly diagnosed with LPR (reflux), it eased my mind quite a bit. Along with the meditation and just telling myself to not stress a lot about it, I am much improved. I take small bites of my food, chew a lot and take my time eating, versus gulping down my food and rushing the meal. Sipping water all day long also helps - cool water, not ice-cold. I also put a heat compress on my neck if the cramping/spasms are getting bad.

My ENT said there is laser surgery for it, where they cut the muscle. I will be discussing that option with him at my next appointment if I can't manage it otherwise.

Good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, ocd side-effects, stress, swallowing difficulty