It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Swollen lymph nodes for 2+ months, swelling up and down and won't go away

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
    jacobkey
    (male)

jacobkey HB User
    Swollen lymph nodes for 2+ months, swelling up and down and won't go away

This is my first post so I'll try to be as informative as possible so I can possibly get some help/answers/advice on what's going on with me. I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I hope I can get some help here.

I got what I assume was tonsillitis on 12/11/14, I had felt fine the day before but I woke up with an extremely sore throat, mild body aches, slight fatigue, and headache.
    Luckily I had already had an appointment with my GP for 12/11/14. I told her I assumed I had come down with tonsillitis, this would have been the second year in a row that I got it at the exact same time (December). She took a quick look at my throat, didn't diagnosis me with anything and just prescribed me Amoxicillin (500 mg) for 10 days.

Despite taking the Amoxicillin, I got significantly worse the next couple of days and my right tonsil was so swollen it was almost touching my uvula. My tonsil was very red and covered in white patches, as was my uvula, and I had difficulty swallowing/eating/drinking.
    It got so bad that I had to go to the urgent care clinic on 12/12/14 and receive IV fluids and a steroid shot to reduce the tonsil swelling. The doctor said I was extremely dehydrated and he had no idea how I was even walking around. Also I had lost about 10 lbs.
    The doctor ran 3 tests for strep, which all came back negative.
    He also ran a test for mono which came back negative as well, and a test for gonorrhea that came back negative.
    He said it looked and seemed like a bacterial infection, and prescribed me Penicillin VK (500 mg) for 10 days.

The steroid shot reduced the inflammation significantly, but was the only thing to have an effect on my throat. My body didn't respond to the Penicillin VK at all and my tonsil swelled up again, not as bad as the first time but still was swollen again.

So I went back to my GP on 12/16/14 and the doctor told me that I seemed to be resistant to Penicillin, so she said she would prescribe me a stronger antibiotic and that if I needed an even stronger one to call and she would call it in, as well as putting me on a steroid. The prescriptions were Levoloxacin (500 mg) for 7 days, and Methylprednisolone (4 mg) for 6 days

My tonsil had went down a bit, but not all the way and was still red and irritated, and slightly swollen. I tried to just let it get better on its own, as I was afraid of taking too many antibiotics and having them lose their ability to fight infection in me.
    I was able to start eating solid foods again and drink things other than water, so I tried to not worry about it and hope that it would subside on its own.

Unfortunately it did not and I went back to my GP on 12/30/14 , my tonsil was still slightly swollen, irritated and red. My lymph nodes had been slightly swollen during this time as well. I had also been trying to get a referral to an ENT from my GP and was denied, they said they had it under control and refused to give me one. They prescribed me another round of antibiotics, Azithromycin (250 mg) for 5 days.

My tonsil still hadn't gone down all the way and the lymph nodes in my neck were still swollen, though they would swell up and down throughout the day.

so I went back to my GP on 1/06/15 to see if I could get a referral or a CT scan to see what was going on, but they refused both and prescribed me Prednisone (5 mg) for 6 days to reduce the inflammation in my throat. My GP told me she saw nothing in my throat that looked alarming or serious at all.

Again, the inflammation subsided a bit while I was on the steroid, but never went all the way back to normal. It would swell up slightly right after I would be finished with the steroid.

So I went to the urgent care clinic on 1/19/15 in hopes that I could get a CT scan done. The doctor told me that he could feel the swollen lymph node and saw slight inflammation in my tonsil and that I needed to see an ENT if what he prescribed me didn't work. I was prescribed Azithromycin (250 mg) for 5 days and Prednisone (20 mg) for 6 days. Neither of them worked, it barely reduced the inflammation and my tonsil and nodes flared back up as soon as I finished the rounds of antibiotics and steroids.

I then called my doctor and demanded a referral to an ENT, which they were very unhappy to give me, saying they had it under control. The appointment was scheduled for 2/16/15, which was about 3 weeks away. I had no idea what to do, as my tonsils weren't getting any better and the lymph nodes in my neck would flare up and down every day. So I got an earlier appointment with another ENT.

So I saw the ENT and he said everything seemed normal, that my tonsil was slightly irritated but nothing looked wrong and he didn't see anything that alarmed him. He did say that because of the severity of the tonsillitis that it caused me to have a lot of pockets in my tonsils where food and bacteria would get caught, and that's why my lymph nodes were flaring up and down and also why my tonsils would be irritated. He said the nodes were "reactive nodes". And also told me that the option to have my tonsils taken out is always there. He said I didn't need a CT scan or anything because from what he saw everything looked pretty much normal.
    My GP also said that I probably have very bad allergies and that could be causing the nodes to swell up and down. He took blood work to see what I'm allergic to and I'm waiting on those results.
    I also had a CBC done in early December about a week before all of this happened. My WBC count was slightly low but still within the "normal" range. My Neutrophils were slightly below average, and my Monocytes were above average. Would this have any relevancy to what's going on?

And also I was checked for all STD's and they all came back negative. So I know it's not HIV.

I have very bad health anxiety, and GAD/Panic Disorder as well so it's hard to stop worrying when I can still feel my lymph nodes swelling up and down and wake up every morning with a minor sore throat.
    I'm not sure what is swollen exactly but its slightly under my jaw at the top of my neck and going down to around my adams apple, on both sides. It flares up and down throughout the day. I'm worried about conditions such as Leukemia and Lymphoma. Also I sometimes get a tight feeling at the bottom of my throat, I don't what causes that or why it's happening, it just started happening recently.
    ***I never had tonsillitis as a child, my first time getting it was when I was 18. I did get strep a few times as a child though.***

I had to have brain surgery when I was 14, and was lucky the doctors found the tumor (benign) when they did, because I was 6 weeks away from dying, that experience caused me to have PTSD and severe health anxiety, as well as GAD/Panic disorder. So since then I always fear the worst when I get sick like this. My anxiety has been driving me crazy since my tonsils flared up and I feel like I'm only hurting myself more by worrying so much every day, I know that it doesn't help, but I can't stop.

What should I do? Has anyone had something similar to this? Can anybody give me any answers? PLEASE HELP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
    florida23
    (female)

florida23 HB User
    Re: Swollen lymph nodes for 2+ months, swelling up and down and won't go away

Hi! So I know this is a long shot as I know your post was over a year ago now....but I thought it was worth trying to contact you because your post sounds EXACTLY like what is happening to me for the past 2 weeks. Almost the exact same story. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your tonsils?? I'm dying to know. If so, what was the outcome?? Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, health anxiety, lymph nodes, throat, tonsillitis