It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• polyps and scars in the windpipe area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
    helpmysister
    (female)

helpmysister HB User
    polyps and scars in the windpipe area

My sister was diagnosed Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis one month ago and has been sent to ICU. In ICU, she was on ventilator, gastric tube, and Midazolam injection. She had 5 days Intravenous Immunoglobulin Therapy and 3 days methylprednisolone for the encephalitis treatment. 10 days later she was discharged from ICU first and then after another 10 days she was discharged back home. She was on phenobarbital sodium, levetiracetam, prednisolone acetate, Mycophenolate Mofetil, and Sodium Valproate.

On the next day, she was short of breath and was then sent back to the hospital. She was found granulomatosis and polyps in her windpipe, therefore she was treated with tracheostomy. Comparing the CT before and after ICU, the doctor confirmed that it was granulomatosis grown after the air tube had been taken away. In 10 days, it grew and blocked almost the whole windpipe below the throat.

After another 10 days, she had the surgery to remove the polyps. During the treatment, the doctor found those polyps became scars and also scars appeared in the place she did tracheostomy. However, these scars are pretty deep and could not reach by the laryngoscope, so she needs another treatment option.

She does not have scar constitution and other symptoms. She also recovered pretty well from her Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis.

My questions:
    1. is there any other method to remove those scars that are hard to reach using laryngoscope?
    2. Do the scars often reappear after they are removed or not?
    3. Is it possible that the scars were caused by the immunization defects or the medicines? Can the possible immunization problems turned her from non-scar constitution to scar constitution?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    polyps, scar removal, throat