It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

Overeating sweets

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
kevinla
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Overeating sweets

I think I might have a problem with overeating of sweets.

If I don't start I am ok. But I if I eat 1 cookie, I have to eat 10. If I eat 1 scoop of ice cream, I have to eat a pint. I eat to the point of I literally physically can not eat another bite.

I overate ice cream this past weekend and now I have a sore throat from acid reflux. It could get worse.

I don't really have a problem with other foods except when it is free. For instance, I ate at a buffet in Las Vegas and could not stop eating.

I don't know whether this is solely food related or has something to do with other issues in my life.

I believe my binge eating is somewhat unique.

1> I only eat sweets once every 2 weeks. That I am able to control.

2> Yes I have anxiety and unhappiness. At the same time, I feel if I had the perfect life without anxiety and unhappiness, I am almost 1000% certain I would be doing the same thing. I LOVE THE TASTE OF SWEETS.

3> I feel it is more of a physical addiction than mental. Kind of like alcohol or drugs which is believed to be more a physical addiction than mental.

Does anyone else have any advice?

Last edited by kevinla; 09-25-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Overeating sweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
I think I might have a problem with overeating of sweets.

If I don't start I am ok. But I if I eat 1 cookie, I have to eat 10. If I eat 1 scoop of ice cream, I have to eat a pint. I eat to the point of I literally physically can not eat another bite.
If you could eat one cookie or one scoop of ice cream and then stop, would that be a great accomplishment? I don't think so. The fact that you think you need that is the main problem, in my opinion. For you to keep trying to do that amounts to reinforcing an addiction. Just stop eating such items altogether.

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with other foods except when it is free. For instance, I ate at a buffet in Las Vegas and could not stop eating.
I would just make it a point to stay away from such places.

Quote:
I LOVE THE TASTE OF SWEETS.

3> I feel it is more of a physical addiction than mental. Kind of like alcohol or drugs which is believed to be more a physical addiction than mental.
Whether it's physical, mental or both, I think the best thing is to make up your mind to just stay away from sweets altogether. For some people eating sweets is like alcoholism or drugs, as you have said. So stopping completely is the only solution.

Reply Reply