It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

Eating disorder recovery advice? (I can't afford to go a a treatment program)

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
EnnaC
(female)

EnnaC HB User
Question Eating disorder recovery advice? (I can't afford to go a a treatment program)

I have been struggling with anorexia and over exercise for about 6 years now, at times its been worse than others. I started loosing more and more weight recently. I had a few drinks one night and got VERY SICK (in the past I used to be a heavy drinker and puked twice in my life from it and recovered from the hangover within a day). This time my symptoms got worse throughout the day following. I could not stop throwing up even 24 hours after. I had to go to an emergency walk in clinic for an IV because I was so dehydrated. I'm scared to tell a doctor about my ed and can't afford going to a recovery clinic or a treatment program. I did tell the doctor I hadn't been eating enough but, it was a very busy emergency clinic and they were focused on treating the immediate issue (severe dehydration)

How badly I was affected (I was very very sick for a week after a few drinks) in addition to other health problems (fatigue, dizziness, headaches, even chest pain, I've fainted in the morning, more frequent minor infections) and I missed my period this month has scared me enough to make changes. The week after I didn't run at all (and I usually do religiously generally 6-7.5 miles) and I forced myself to eat more up to a healthy amount for my age & size. In addition to even to eat some big meals out and to not count calories or care. I had incredible bloating and nausea and it began to subside. I was also having a bit of labored breathing which went away as well. By the end of the week I was feeling good and had a lot more energy.

Moving forward from there, I want to eat more and get healthier but, I'm still going to watch what I eat and exercise. I've had to work to get myself okay with the idea of gaining 5 lbs (maybe more but, I'm working on it). I'm trying to take small steps in the right direction. I'm in my mid 20s about 5'3 and around 105-108 lbs. I started trying to eat around 1700 calories a day and running 3-4 miles (4-5 days a week) with light strength exercises and yoga a few times a week. I'm at a net of around 1300-1400 most days. I started feeling really really hungry this week while following this "plan" and had to go eat more to get through the work day. I also start to get a sore throat when I'm restricting which came back.

I've been using calculators for how to maintain/lose/gain weight and also reading articles on recovery plans, and its a bit confusing. I'm eating about what is recommended for maintaining my weight and I do take calories burnt exercising into account but, am concerned as my symptoms I get when restricting started to come back. Does anyone have any recommendations from their recovery experience?

Again, unfortunately I cannot afford seeing a doctor frequently or a treatment program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to EnnaC:
movielover40 (10-13-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Anectarine
(female)

Anectarine HB User
Re: Eating disorder recovery advice? (I can't afford to go a a treatment program)

Heya,
I think it's very brave of you to admit that you have a problem. It's a huge hurdle to get over so yea... well done. Looking up what you should be doing to maintain your weight is of course the right way to go. I don't want to pry into your actual weight and how you are doing the calculations, but I would say from your symptoms that maybe you should start to think about re-calibrating them in order to gain a little. Just... think about it - don't do it until you feel comfortable with the idea of gaining weight, otherwise you are likely to compensate by losing later on . I think the most important thing is to try and find someone, preferably in your physical life (but online will do if you feel you really can't) to confide in about this. My therapist told me one really really important thing which is that the first step of recovering is breaking the shame and silence around an eating disorder. The secrecy is how it keeps its power over you, once that is gone, it starts to slowly feel less and less powerful. Be careful with who you choose, but if it is anything like my experience you will find that people who care about you may already have noticed and not been sure how to approach the subject. One of the closest friends I had actually told me she was hugely relieved I had come out about it because she had been really worried about me and not sure how to approach talking about it. I'm sure you can make progress because you have made one of the hardest steps alone. It gets easier when you feel you can talk about it.

Reply Reply

Tags
anorexia, eating disorder